ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How to obtain sound from a YAMAHA PM5D to a MacBook?  (Read 4078 times)

MikeHarris

Re: How to obtain sound from a YAMAHA PM5D to a MacBook?
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2020, 02:07:42 AM »

If you have no BNC cables connected to the console...or any external digital inputs..the console is being clocked internally.
If I recall..the AUD2 will permit 16ch at 96K
The MY16-AT will only do 16 channels @48K
The Aux cable to laptop uses the questionable quality of the laptops converter..and as you see, sensitive to overload.  You could add compression as protection..both in the console or externally.
The Scarlett lets you mic the musicians independent of console should you wish...despite more inputs and better converters it will overload if the outputs of the 5D are too hot

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2020, 07:26:17 AM »

Thanks everyone for your help. Do you guys think this interface (Focusrite Scarlett 18i20) would be good? Our band during the stay-at-home period is just 5 members: 2 vocals, 1 piano, 1 guitar, 1 cajon.

I understand that using an interface would be much simpler, but is this still a good purchase? Considering the possibility of the church wanting to record 16 channels in the future? We are pretty much pushed into making this sort of decision due to the stay-at-home order and realising how bad the audio coming from the AUX really was!

What is "bad" from the audio coming from the aux.

"The AUX cable is then connected to the Macbook via a mic/audio in to USB adapter."

From your previous post it kind of sounded like you were already using an stereo audio to USB input interface (that was a good idea by the way)

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2020, 10:57:44 AM »

What is "bad" from the audio coming from the aux.

"The AUX cable is then connected to the Macbook via a mic/audio in to USB adapter."

From your previous post it kind of sounded like you were already using an stereo audio to USB input interface (that was a good idea by the way)
Perhaps the "bad" audio was a line out to mic input level issue.
There is no reason that with a USB audio device that is designed to take line level in, that the AUX audio would be "bad" if levels were set correctly.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2020, 04:48:29 PM »

There is no reason that with a USB audio device that is designed to take line level in, that the AUX audio would be "bad" if levels were set correctly.

Yeah, I’ve been wondering what exactly is going on here.  It sounds more like a mis-application of equipment, bad interconnected, or bad setup.  Would be interesting to know exact model number for the device being used to connect to the computer.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2020, 05:33:08 PM »

That's what I am thinking the "bad" audio is or maybe it was just a "bad" mix!

Here's a simple USB interface that works well, I've used these a couple of these to get audio into a lap top for streaming or recording.
With the gain down they will take a moderate live level signal.

https://artproaudio.com/product/usb-dual-pre-project-series-two-ch-usb-pre/
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 06:49:19 PM by Mike Caldwell »

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2020, 06:09:12 PM »

Thanks everyone for your help. Do you guys think this interface (Focusrite Scarlett 18i20) would be good? Our band during the stay-at-home period is just 5 members: 2 vocals, 1 piano, 1 guitar, 1 cajon.

I understand that using an interface would be much simpler, but is this still a good purchase? Considering the possibility of the church wanting to record 16 channels in the future? We are pretty much pushed into making this sort of decision due to the stay-at-home order and realising how bad the audio coming from the AUX really was!

What do you hope to gain by using this interface vs any other interface?

If you are splitting the mic inputs from the stage and hoping to record the band on this interface, then you will only get 8 channels recorded unless you buy several other pieces of equipment.

This interface is 500 bones already, and would require some weird and unfriendly patching to get it working in your setup. Whereas a Dante card is 700 bucks, which comes with a DVS license which can turn your computer's ethernet port into a 64x64 channel interface.

To be clear though the Dante option would let you send 16 channels to the computer per card. Even thought the computer can handle 64 channels in/out, each card only handles 16 channels in/out.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

MikeHarris

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2020, 01:40:49 AM »

If your church has no plans to replace the 5D the best solution will be integrated as Tim pointed out. AUD2>>mac.
I see no need for a switch...keep it simple

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2020, 01:40:49 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.