ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How to obtain sound from a YAMAHA PM5D to a MacBook?  (Read 4075 times)

Miguel Hurtado

How to obtain sound from a YAMAHA PM5D to a MacBook?
« on: April 13, 2020, 03:10:24 AM »

Hello. I am a newbie to the audio scene and I am trying to find out the best way to get the audio from a Yamaha PM5D into a MacBook. We want to use the audio recording of the band singing and use it with the video recording of them. My church is currently obtaining the audio from the mixer via an AUX cable that is connected from the mixer to a MacBook. However, the audio file obtained is sometimes very loud, with "clicks" and "snaps" being heard in the recording (but were not heard during the live session). I have been reading around and it looks like one way of doing this is to install a DANTE-MY16-AUD2 card into the mixer, thereby allowing us to send 16 channels to our MacBook. An ethernet cable is connected from the card to a network switch on which the MacBook will also be connected to via a second ethernet cable. With the use of the Dante software, the MacBook would be able to receive the 16 separate audio channels from the mixer and record it using Pro Tools. Once the recording of the live session is done, we can open up Pro Tools and mix the recording further in order to obtain an audio file that sounds pleasant for use in video production. Can anyone please advise me on this subject and let me know what I might be missing (or just plain incorrect about), and if there are any links that may help me understand this process better? Thank you for your help!

MikeHarris

Re: How to obtain sound from a YAMAHA PM5D to a MacBook?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 03:43:55 AM »

Perfect
You will need to confirm the current clock rate...as the 5D can run at 96K..channel count may no longer be limited with the AUD2 but you should know it. Are you currently clocking the console from its internal clock ?
Not sure if they give you Dante Virtual Card any longer but you will need it. $30 I believe but they sometimes run sales.
Beware if switch not configured correctly it can stop working. Yamaha has a couple of cheap switches making Dante as easy as RCA cables...requiring no config. Why a switch ?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 03:55:36 AM by MikeHarris »

Miguel Hurtado

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 05:04:12 AM »

Are you currently clocking the console from its internal clock ?

Hello Mike,

I had no idea what clocking meant so I looked it up. I do not know if the console is set to use its own internal clock or not. I would have to check. Why do you ask? (I'm a newbie in this so I don't totally understand, yet).

Also, I noticed that there are two versions of the Dante card, one named UAD and the other named UAD2. At the moment, I have found used UAD cards online for ~$450 but the UAD2 are >$600. What's the difference?

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 08:42:09 AM »

Hello. I am a newbie to the audio scene and I am trying to find out the best way to get the audio from a Yamaha PM5D into a MacBook. We want to use the audio recording of the band singing and use it with the video recording of them. My church is currently obtaining the audio from the mixer via an AUX cable that is connected from the mixer to a MacBook. However, the audio file obtained is sometimes very loud, with "clicks" and "snaps" being heard in the recording (but were not heard during the live session).

What output are you using on the mixer and are you going directly into the Macbook 3.5mm mic/audio input or does your Macbook model
only have the single jack used for headphones and mic input?

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 10:11:05 AM »

Skip the Dante route.  At your level of knowledge it’s just going to cause you more problems.  Go out of a couple balanced outputs on your console into a proper USB audio interface connected to your laptop.  You’ll be immune from digital interconnect issues then and you won’t have to try to learn Dante.

Follow the KISS principal.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 10:20:55 AM »

Skip the Dante route.  At your level of knowledge it’s just going to cause you more problems.  Go out of a couple balanced outputs on your console into a proper USB audio interface connected to your laptop.  You’ll be immune from digital interconnect issues then and you won’t have to try to learn Dante.

Follow the KISS principal.

I agree with this. If you need to record 16 track it may be worth dealing with all the new things you will need to know to implement Dante, but if you can mix direct to 2 track it will be worlds simpler to use a simple USB interface. I just got THIS ONE because my Roland OctaCapture wouldn't work with the webinar software I am currently using.

Mac

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 10:40:18 AM »

I agree with this. If you need to record 16 track it may be worth dealing with all the new things you will need to know to implement Dante, but if you can mix direct to 2 track it will be worlds simpler to use a simple USB interface. I just got THIS ONE because my Roland OctaCapture wouldn't work with the webinar software I am currently using.

Mac
I agree with Mac on this one.
If you don't really need 16 tracks, there are very cost effective USB audio devices available.
If you want some multitrack capability, there are low cost 4 channel and 8 channel devices from Behringer that work just fine.
 Behringer 4 channel UMC404HD for example is around $150 USD.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2020, 12:08:57 PM »

There are a couple of ways to accomplish getting 16 "tracks" into a computer. As you've mentioned the Dante card is probably going to be the easiest.

Install Dante card into console, get *AN APPROVED SWITCH* and plug the computer and the dante card into that switch. It would be best if that was the only use of that switch, ie, it's not on the greater network of the church.

You'll need Dante Virtual Soundcard on the computer to recieve the signals from the dante network.

So, Dante YGDAI card>>>proper switch>>>computer using Dante Virtual Soundcard and a recording software (Check out Reaper).

The other way is to use the MY-16AT for 16 channels or the MY-8AT for 8 channels of Adat. Adat is a digital format that is carried over a fiber optic cable to the computer. With this setup you'll need an audio interface that can receive as many ADAT channels as you plan to use.

One option for this is MG-16AT card>>>PreSonus Studio 192 USB (offers 16 ch of adat)>>>Computer.

With this option you can use the interface's extra inputs to run analog lines to get 8 more channels into the computer So you bring in 16 over the ADAT then 8 more over XLR. And if you get really fancy you can do the 2 SPDIF inputs for 2 more tracks. Total of 26 tracks.

The only reason why this may be an option is because all this stuff should be cheap on the used market, where as you'll pay full price for the Dante stuff. But make no mistake, Dante is the clear winner here. The PM5D has 4 card slots so you could have 64 channels in AND out of the console to the computer. You don't need any more switches or soundcards or anything. Just plug all 4 cards into the same switch and they will be available to the computer.

Clear as Mud?
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Miguel Hurtado

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2020, 11:55:02 PM »

What output are you using on the mixer and are you going directly into the Macbook 3.5mm mic/audio input or does your Macbook model
only have the single jack used for headphones and mic input?

Mike, I have been told by our main guy (who is in charge of the mixing every Sunday) that this AUX cable that connects to the MacBook is coming from a (or a couple?) monitor output from the back of the console. The AUX cable is then connected to the Macbook via a mic/audio in to USB adapter.

Miguel Hurtado

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2020, 12:18:45 AM »

Thanks everyone for your help. Do you guys think this interface (Focusrite Scarlett 18i20) would be good? Our band during the stay-at-home period is just 5 members: 2 vocals, 1 piano, 1 guitar, 1 cajon.

I understand that using an interface would be much simpler, but is this still a good purchase? Considering the possibility of the church wanting to record 16 channels in the future? We are pretty much pushed into making this sort of decision due to the stay-at-home order and realising how bad the audio coming from the AUX really was!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2020, 12:18:45 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 24 queries.