ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Idiot proof..not  (Read 10130 times)

MikeHarris

Idiot proof..not
« on: April 12, 2020, 08:42:19 AM »

As a Meyer dealer selling a UPA/650 system to the Caribbean I thought it was best to assemble the rack & supply cables...and as tops & subs wired differently I thought no problems.
But...a year and a half later I get a call...they need all new drivers for the UPAs...I was surprised but get them a quote...and they wanted 4 more of the ‘big plugs’.  Seems not leaving well enough alone they couldn’t get sound out of the tops..as they were plugged into the EP4s for the subs..so they cut the connectors off..soldered to the pins of cabinet and blew the HF...and threw the EP4s away.
Can’t outthink idiocy.

gordonmcgregor

Re: Idiot proof..not
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 10:32:43 AM »

As a Meyer dealer selling a UPA/650 system to the Caribbean I thought it was best to assemble the rack & supply cables...and as tops & subs wired differently I thought no problems.
But...a year and a half later I get a call...they need all new drivers for the UPAs...I was surprised but get them a quote...and they wanted 4 more of the ‘big plugs’.  Seems not leaving well enough alone they couldn’t get sound out of the tops..as they were plugged into the EP4s for the subs..so they cut the connectors off..soldered to the pins of cabinet and blew the HF...and threw the EP4s away.
Can’t outthink idiocy.
Years of working in the service industries has taught me you can only increase idiot resistance, there's always a better class of idiot :D

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 11:04:22 AM »

Can’t outthink idiocy.

I would have never believed you could try and mate an AMP Quicklatch the wrong way around until one day there was a call to the shop. Not so much idiots as very determined idiots.

David Allred

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 11:46:23 AM »

Years of working in the service industries has taught me you can only increase idiot resistance, there's always a better class of idiot :D

Increasing indiot resistance, only increases idiot capacity.  They adapt and improvise.  ;D

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 01:03:15 PM »

I often help Jeff from JTR at his shop, and a few years ago, I was floored when he asked me to pallet and ship 12 of the Orbit Shifter drivers to a customer in the Caribbean. I said, "Twelve?! Really? Someone has twelve Orbit Shifters? And what are the drivers for?"

Jeff explained that the guy had ordered six OS and promptly blew them. So, he ordered six more OS along with six replacement drivers. A short while later, the guy reported all 12 OS woofers were blown. Jeff immediately called to ask how the guy was blowing up OS drivers. The guy said "they aren't loud enough so I rewired them for more current."

It took some back-and-forth with pictures, but Jeff discovered the guy had rewired the cabinets so that instead of getting parallel DVC wiring, he was wiring each VC independently and sending 2500-watts to each VC. Because "they weren't loud enough." Jeff explained that was absolutely the wrong way to do things, but the guy didn't care. He wanted 12 more OS woofers, so that's what I was palletizing and shipping...

I was at the shop a few months ago and saw a pallet of OS drivers shrink-wrapped and waiting for FedEx to pick them up. I asked, "are those going where I think they're going?" And Jeff said, "yep" without missing a beat.

Oh well!

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2020, 03:49:08 PM »

Not as bad as the examples above, but several times I've sent out a self powered speakers with a mic cable for the signal cable.  The customers called me and complained that they needed male/male and female/female adapters because the cable I sent them had the "wrong" ends on it.  It can get worse.  The customer who purchased a 16 X 4 snake called and said he needed 16 male/male and 16 female/female so he could hook it up.  You guessed it, but that call came the third time he used the snake!

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2020, 05:53:20 PM »

Increasing indiot resistance, only increases idiot capacity.  They adapt and improvise.  ;D

Stupidity is its own reward.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2020, 06:20:35 PM »

Don't be stealing my copywrited tag line! >:(
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

gordonmcgregor

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2020, 07:18:45 PM »

Don't be stealing my copywrited tag line! >:(
I plead idiocy or blindness or maybe both  :o

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2020, 08:55:54 PM »

I had heard talk of these but it really happens, I've seen it.

- Speakons pulled straight out and they didn't give up after just one speaker.
- Unscrewing the XLR boots and pulling the connector bodies out of the shell
  to "unplug" the XLR

Band soundman complaining the the mixer has never fit in the case right, they were using the case upside down, the mixer was setting in the lid.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2020, 08:55:54 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.