ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IEM Antenna Combiner Question  (Read 1199 times)

Michael Storey

• San Jose, CA
IEM Antenna Combiner Question
« on: April 10, 2020, 09:24:25 PM »

Are IEM antenna combiners linear on the RF output side? E.g. if my Shure PSM900 RF output is set to 50mW, should I expect roughly the same output out of my Combine4?

What happens if I have 4 transmitters going through the combiner at varying power levels?

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
Re: IEM Antenna Combiner Question
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 09:38:07 PM »

Are IEM antenna combiners linear on the RF output side? E.g. if my Shure PSM900 RF output is set to 50mW, should I expect roughly the same output out of my Combine4?

What happens if I have 4 transmitters going through the combiner at varying power levels?

I believe you're inquiring about system gain/loss, not linearity (which has a different meaning when discussing RF amplifier stages). Almost all of the combiners sold for use with low power IEM's, IFB's and intercom outbounds are unity gain devices; the input power level per carrier is what will be output per carrier, +/- a dB or so for manufacturing tolerance and input power imbalance. For the most part it doesn't matter if the input power levels are different: The unity gain is on a per carrier basis.

The exception to the unity combiner design is the RAD TX-8 (and TX-8U) which has individual output level selection for each input.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Michael Storey

• San Jose, CA
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 10:17:41 PM »

I believe you're inquiring about system gain/loss, not linearity (which has a different meaning when discussing RF amplifier stages). Almost all of the combiners sold for use with low power IEM's, IFB's and intercom outbounds are unity gain devices; the input power level per carrier is what will be output per carrier, +/- a dB or so for manufacturing tolerance and input power imbalance. For the most part it doesn't matter if the input power levels are different: The unity gain is on a per carrier basis.

The exception to the unity combiner design is the RAD TX-8 (and TX-8U) which has individual output level selection for each input.

This explains it perfectly Henry, thank you!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 10:17:41 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.