ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Bass cab  (Read 13991 times)

Mal Brown

Re: Bass cab
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2020, 01:51:03 AM »

Eminence Delta LF's were the standard for high end bass cabs for a long time. These days the Eminence drivers of choice for bass cabs are the kappaLites 3012 LF,3015 LF and the 3015 for a 'vintage' bass cab kinda thing.  I do have a very small, over stuffed ported 1x10 with a delta lite 2510-ii. Voiced deep, super small and volume limited.  Jazz gigs with a fretless ABG.

I have heard a 4x10, canted baffle with the 2510-ii that was pretty nice.  Light, loud within reason on and   a nice cone rolloff...

IMO - very important to remember. Unless you just want to mess with me at FOH, the sum bitch is a MONITOR...  Ok, backing off the caffeine and preaching to the choir ;-)
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2020, 07:43:54 AM »

Adam,

The Eminence bass guitar speakers have about half the Xmax (only 3-4mm linear excursion) so will start to distort at about 6 dB less SPL than many their pro drivers. While that may be a good thing for "growl", you can easily put harmonic distortion in with your tube pre, but you can't take distortion out.

Art

In reality the basis for any 10" bass cabinet type driver.  It's "the sound". 

One rig I rebuilt for a workmate waaaay back at Intersonics(with some input from Tom Danley, who also plays bass on his days off) involved tearing apart a Peavy rig that used a BW 18" and a pair of 10" Scorpions.  We came up with a bandpass design for the 18, and a waveguide for the dual 12. It all wound up a tad larger than the original rig, but it went at least a half octave lower, and had some real "punch".  It was really only good at large bars, and he had to tone down the low end most times anyway as it was "scary".  Might of overdid that one...;>)

Best regards,

John

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2020, 08:15:34 AM »

In reality the basis for any 10" bass cabinet type driver.  It's "the sound". 

One rig I rebuilt for a workmate waaaay back at Intersonics(with some input from Tom Danley, who also plays bass on his days off) involved tearing apart a Peavy rig that used a BW 18" and a pair of 10" Scorpions.  We came up with a bandpass design for the 18, and a waveguide for the dual 12. It all wound up a tad larger than the original rig, but it went at least a half octave lower, and had some real "punch".  It was really only good at large bars, and he had to tone down the low end most times anyway as it was "scary".  Might of overdid that one...;>)

Best regards,

John
Intersonics and Tom, "Scary" and "Might have overdid that one".
Haha. Who would have thunk it?
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2020, 08:53:36 AM »

Those Faital 10s are really expensive!

Yep, but they're some of the best in the business. If I was going to do a "one cab forever" build, it'd be a pair of those Faital 10"s. I've used them as the midbass drivers in my main PA system for years, and they never fail to impress. Despite having a kilowatt per driver on tap, the amplifiers have hit the limiters before the sound turns bad from over-driven speakers.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Scott Helmke

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2020, 09:53:14 AM »

IMO - very important to remember. Unless you just want to mess with me at FOH, the sum bitch is a MONITOR...  Ok, backing off the caffeine and preaching to the choir ;-)

That's a very good point to make.  If it's a show with a real PA including subwoofers, then it's much better to go with a small bass amp onstage and let the subs do their magic. 

You know that thing about how the bass is always louder in the audience?  It's not because it takes distance for the "long wavelengths to be heard" or similar BS.  It's because out of all the loud things onstage, it's only the bass that really couples with the architecture and carries out into the audience.  Everything else is more immediately affected by the inverse square law.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2020, 10:56:48 AM »

That's a very good point to make.  If it's a show with a real PA including subwoofers, then it's much better to go with a small bass amp onstage and let the subs do their magic. 

Bingo.
Any show bigger than what a 2x10" cab would manage should have a proper PA and monitors.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2020, 11:39:12 AM »

You know that thing about how the bass is always louder in the audience?  It's not because it takes distance for the "long wavelengths to be heard" or similar BS.  It's because out of all the loud things onstage, it's only the bass that really couples with the architecture and carries out into the audience.  Everything else is more immediately affected by the inverse square law.

I dunno, Scott.  Somehow I think Jim Marshall "repealed" the inverse square law for his 4x12 cabinet... If you're on axis - at almost any distance - it's too damn loud... except for the guitar player who'd like "a little bit more".
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2020, 12:23:39 PM »

I dunno, Scott.  Somehow I think Jim Marshall "repealed" the inverse square law for his 4x12 cabinet... If you're on axis - at almost any distance - it's too damn loud... except for the guitar player who'd like "a little bit more".
I always tell them "If you want to hear your guitar on the board tape, don't point that thing at FOH..." :o
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2020, 12:25:22 PM »

IMO - very important to remember. Unless you just want to mess with me at FOH, the sum bitch is a MONITOR...
Almost verbatim part of my standard introduction to a new band. Comes right after “We’ll put shields in front of the (guitar) amps and close mic them”.  If the bassist seems interested I’ll go on to explain that the $20,000 worth of 2” & 4” acoustic panels they see everywhere are transparent to bass frequencies and that they’re essentially playing in a concrete corner.  Some seem to care.
..db

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2020, 01:17:27 PM »

... except for the guitar player who'd like "a little bit more".

You have to have it loud for the knee-to-ear bone conduction to work. ::)
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2020, 01:17:27 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.