ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Big FCC Trouble For PylePro  (Read 6285 times)

Daniel Levi

Re: Big FCC Trouble For PylePro
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2020, 11:12:54 AM »

Yes. Under the Communication Act of 1934, as amended, it is the responsibility of the operator to ensure compliance.  The operator can sue the manufacturer and distributor for any losses resulting from the mislabeled or noncompliant products.

And naturally if that happened then it would be even worse for PylePro, not like they don't deserve it, I just hope the users of the affected equipment find out about this. Really PylePro should do a recall with either a full refund (in reality the best option as users would not want to get burned twice) or replacement of equipment with ones that are actually legal to operate.

This is why that it a lot of cases if you have a need for dirt cheap wireless the go with either a well known/semi-decent brand that has low end ranges (I,e,  Sennheiser, Trantec, MiPro, JTS, LD Systems, AKG Etc) or with an own brand from a decent retailer (like Thomann's t.bone range) as you know that they would not want to harm their reputation by selling illegal products.

Companies like PylePro aren't ever going to sell something to someone who likely cares about FCC compliance or even knows what it is, so if they don't get should out why should they care. No different to buying no-name Chinese wireless equipment on eBay!
Also if they don't care about FCC regulations they you have to question what else they care about in terms of product compliance.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2020, 04:16:52 PM »

Yes. Under the Communication Act of 1934, as amended, it is the responsibility of the operator to ensure compliance.  The operator can sue the manufacturer and distributor for any losses resulting from the mislabeled or noncompliant products.

Which raises the question, what do you do as a system provider when an act walks up and hands you some unidentifiable (but freq labeled) piece of gear?  If you've got a broad-band spectrum monitoring setup running it should be easy to pop on the tx and see where it goes, but that's not always the case.  If I as a provider plug it into my system and use the resulting signal am I the operator or is the guy who brought it and is holding the tx the operator?

It would be nice to be in a situation where you can just blanket say no to acts bringing in this kind of gear but we all know that's not always the case.

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2020, 04:45:06 PM »

Which raises the question, what do you do as a system provider when an act walks up and hands you some unidentifiable (but freq labeled) piece of gear?  If you've got a broad-band spectrum monitoring setup running it should be easy to pop on the tx and see where it goes, but that's not always the case.  If I as a provider plug it into my system and use the resulting signal am I the operator or is the guy who brought it and is holding the tx the operator?

It would be nice to be in a situation where you can just blanket say no to acts bringing in this kind of gear but we all know that's not always the case.

This is why there are event frequency coordinators; you can pass the buck to us and we'll say "no"  ;)

It's an ambiguous situation in which the Enforcement Bureau agent arriving on site will make a best judgement call right then and there based on any number of factors. My guess is who's ever in command and control of all the audio wireless will be the cited party.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2020, 11:32:41 PM »

This is why there are event frequency coordinators; you can pass the buck to us and we'll say "no"  ;)

It's an ambiguous situation in which the Enforcement Bureau agent arriving on site will make a best judgement call right then and there based on any number of factors. My guess is who's ever in command and control of all the audio wireless will be the cited party.

The level events I'm talking about don't have the luxury of frequency coordinators.  I've never worked an event with that position.  It does sound nice though!  :)

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2020, 11:35:06 PM »

This is usually where I instruct the user that every time they turn on their equipment in USA they are breaking the law, they are likely to interfere with users who have done the work and actually own the right to operate on those frequencies, and that they completely forfeit any aid or protection that I could give them.   I make it clear that they are no longer operating under the auspices of my license.  I instruct them that they are not to operate this equipment at my show, but that I'm not the police   If they choose to act irresponsibly but do not interfere with my operations, they're on their own.  It's up to them to do the right thing.  I do everything I can to offer them alternative ways to achieve their goals, whether it be using production supplied wireless gear, or suggest sensible ways to use cables to transport their audio as necessary.

Then I tune up my Spectrum analyzer and watch what they do.

They always have proceeded to break the law and act in an unethical way. Always.  Every time. And then they go in my list of people's names who I can trust for nothing, whatsoever, ever again. From that point forward that person's word is worthless to me.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2022, 05:27:33 PM »

Looks like the fine is going to stick (no great surprise):

Forfeiture Order

-Russ

Karl Winkler

• Lectrosonics
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2022, 11:25:36 AM »

Looks like the fine is going to stick (no great surprise):

Forfeiture Order

-Russ

Boy those gears grind slowly but they eventually get there!
In theory, theory and practice should be the same. In practice, they are not.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2022, 11:55:37 AM »

Right there with eating Sir Robin's minstrels... "there was great rejoicing..."
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2022, 01:34:35 PM »

Right there with eating Sir Robin's minstrels... "there was great rejoicing..."
Any company that made and marketed devices like this deserves to suffer.
https://www.amazon.com/Channel-Wireless-Microphone-System-Microphones/dp/B005BSOW82/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
So many school teachers and small theaters got scammed by this system.
-crosstalk, horrible reception, noisy, bad squelching and no way to control but by the front panel (single mix output) -which because of the non-existent range, was usually sitting on the stage.
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2022, 03:53:26 PM »

Boy those gears grind slowly but they eventually get there!

I think the gears may still be grinding, since I'm pretty sure at least some of the models they were fined for are still listed for sale on their website...

-Russ

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2022, 03:53:26 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 24 queries.