Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > HistoryOfConcertSound.org

Z Z Top console

<< < (12/13) > >>

duane massey:
Interface was one of several innovative companies in the area. We were one of the earlier ones, but never quite turned the corner on more than limited success. Really didn't have the financial support, nor the stronger technical chops. Many long days and nights screening and etching copper-clad boards, drilling, loading, soldering, cutting aluminum, punching various holes, silk-screening, building, wiring.....I don't miss those days, but I'm glad I did it.
Ah, the old days....

Ike Zimbel:

--- Quote from: duane massey on May 18, 2020, 12:47:10 PM ---Interface was one of several innovative companies in the area. We were one of the earlier ones, but never quite turned the corner on more than limited success. Really didn't have the financial support, nor the stronger technical chops. Many long days and nights screening and etching copper-clad boards, drilling, loading, soldering, cutting aluminum, punching various holes, silk-screening, building, wiring.....I don't miss those days, but I'm glad I did it.
Ah, the old days....

--- End quote ---
Yep. I built lighting consoles and 4-way crossovers that way. Select Concert Products was the name of the company and many Canadian lighting companies started out with one or more Select consoles.
If nothing else, the experience building electronic products, literally from scratch, has served me very well as a repair technician. Knowing how things are built makes it easier to figure out how to take them apart, and more importantly, put them back together in like-new condition.

Ivan Beaver:

--- Quote from: duane massey on May 18, 2020, 12:47:10 PM ---Interface was one of several innovative companies in the area. We were one of the earlier ones, but never quite turned the corner on more than limited success. Really didn't have the financial support, nor the stronger technical chops. Many long days and nights screening and etching copper-clad boards, drilling, loading, soldering, cutting aluminum, punching various holes, silk-screening, building, wiring.....I don't miss those days, but I'm glad I did it.
Ah, the old days....

--- End quote ---
I built all of my first consoles.  The first was a 4 channel, then a6 channel with better eq, then a 12 channel that I used for a good number of bands in my early rental days.

I hand drew out the circuit boards, etched them in my bathtub, drilled the holes and mounted all the components, hand drilled the chassis etc.  Pressed the letters on one at a time.  VERY time consuming.

I built a 24 channel, but never could get the hum down to where I was happy, so I ended up throwing it away, after many hundreds of hours working on it.

Here is a photo of that 12 channel, along with the homemade amps, xovers, eqs etc. and speaker cabinets.  This was back in 1981

duane massey:
This is picture of one of our consoles from 1975, which was used for the cover of our first album, same year:

Rex Ray:

--- Quote from: MikeHarris on April 06, 2020, 05:08:43 AM ---Anyone have pics of the custom live API console Jerry Cameron built for ZZ ?
24 X 8.  As dealer we provided mic pre/eq/faders/summing modules..lots of 2520s.
It replaced a Tascam (supply horror emoji)

--- End quote ---
Hey Mike! I've got some photos somewhere of me mixing the Outlaws on that desk. Also,Kevin McManus left Marshall Tucker Band to come to Nashville to be a studio guy,and I took over mixing MTB. I moved to Nashville in Feb 1997 and bought a house about 200 yards from the studio he ran! Small world! I'lltry and dig up those photos and post'em.
Rex

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version