ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Z Z Top console  (Read 20732 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Z Z Top console
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2020, 08:48:42 PM »

Combine Carver 1.5's pin 1 issue with the mostly ineffective Yamaha 2031 graphic EQ that also had a pin 1 issue and POOR!, hours of frustration chasing the hum out of the monitor rig (don't ask me).
Try the Audio Logic 1/3rd eq for an even WORSE pin 1 problem.

I could wave my hand in the back of the rack and the noise would come and go.  And not touch anything!

It got used on a couple of gigs before it was GONE.

I DO NOT miss those days at all.

Of course, if I knew then, what I know now, I could have wired around those problems and all "might" have been well.

But I didn't find out what a pin 1 problem was until years after using that bad gear.

Oh well, you live, you learn, you tell the stories and the young kids don't believe you.  Well it IS TRUE.  Trust me.

Oh, and a "plug in" will NOT fix those problems----------
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2020, 09:14:00 PM »

Try the Audio Logic 1/3rd eq for an even WORSE pin 1 problem.

You can say that again!  I have one of those worthless P'sOS, in brand new condition, wasting away buried in the corner of a closet, where I placed it less than a month after acquiring it all those years ago.  In the rare moments when it wasn't buzzing, it was so otherwise noisy that it had to GO.  Truly a boat anchor in the history of pro audio gear.

MikeHarris

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2020, 02:20:39 AM »

Worse than a Soundcraftsman EQ ?

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2020, 07:57:57 AM »

Hey, now!  I still have the one we lugged around in the 70's.  There's a sentimental attachment.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2020, 11:34:07 AM »

with the built in pink noise switch?

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2020, 11:59:08 AM »

I used more 2.0's and PT-1200's (model #?, same as the 2.0 but lower sensitivity number) which were lighter yet than 1.5's, but you're right about the weight of either; they beat the crap out of PSA-2's.

The later version of the 2.0 was the PT1250 (Pro Touring/PT), the later version 1.5 was the PM1200 where they added an extra cooling fan and removed the adjustable voltage limiting.
I had some of those back in the day, actually I have a PM600 running my computer speakers right now!
The PT1250 and earlier 2.0 were crazy light weight power amps for that era. For mids I always felt the PT1250 was a good sounding power amp and overall better sounding and cooler running than the PM1200.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 06:41:06 PM by Mike Caldwell »

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2020, 12:42:07 PM »

Carver amps & computer speakers?

There's a PM-350 running lows on mine, PM-300 doing low-mids, & a TFM-6CB for highs.

The TFM-6CB & PM-300 work well with just a little open back airflow in the rack.  The PM-350 needs a little help for prolonged high power levels.  That little plastic fan in it is pretty wimpy.  Many of the Carver designs couldn't deliver full potential without some kind of forced airflow in the racks.  Add some fans and most of them do pretty well.  Maybe the PT amps worked without additional airflow, never tried one.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 06:54:22 PM by Steve-White »

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2020, 06:50:54 PM »

Carver amps & computer speakers?

There's a PM-350 running lows on mine, PM-300 doing low-mids, & a TFM-6CB for highs.

The TFM-6CB & PM-300 work well with just a little open back airflow in the rack.  The PM-350 needs a little help for prolonged high power levels.  That little plastic fan in it is pretty wimpy.  Many of the Carver designs could deliver full potential without some kind of forced airflow in the racks.  Add some fans and most of them do pretty well.  Maybe the PT amps worked, never tried one.

That's you computer speaker rack!

In the Carver days I had a PM300, PM1200's, PT1250's and PM600's and a PM900.
Of that I still have two PM600's left.
Biggest issues I had were scratchy pots that needed a shot of Deoxit fader lube/cleaner from time to
time as I was phasing them out of service.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2020, 11:41:02 PM »

They worked great for their intended purpose... home.  I still have one, somewhere.  Still using my Soundcraftsmen CX4000 preamp and Hafler DH-500 power amp for my home vinyl and CD listening.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

MikeHarris

« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2020, 01:58:58 AM »

Soundcrafstman EQ genenerated a DC thump upon turn on....WTF do you think DC means on a DC300.  It means new woofers

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2020, 01:58:58 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.