Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > HistoryOfConcertSound.org

Z Z Top console

(1/13) > >>

MikeHarris:
Anyone have pics of the custom live API console Jerry Cameron built for ZZ ?
24 X 8.  As dealer we provided mic pre/eq/faders/summing modules..lots of 2520s.
It replaced a Tascam (supply horror emoji)

Ivan Beaver:

--- Quote from: MikeHarris on April 06, 2020, 05:08:43 AM ---Anyone have pics of the custom live API console Jerry Cameron built for ZZ ?
24 X 8.  As dealer we provided mic pre/eq/faders/summing modules..lots of 2520s.
It replaced a Tascam (supply horror emoji)

--- End quote ---
Not what you are asking for, but here is a photo of a much earlier console ZZ Top used.  May 1970, when they were a "prom band".

https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-culture/billy-gibbons-on-the-zee-zee-top-prom-photo/

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Ivan Beaver on April 06, 2020, 04:40:11 PM ---Not what you are asking for, but here is a photo of a much earlier console ZZ Top used.  May 1970, when they were a "prom band".

https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-culture/billy-gibbons-on-the-zee-zee-top-prom-photo/

--- End quote ---

Tuck and roll PA by Kustom from Chanute, KS by Bud Ross (Ross stomp-box pedals).  Bud passed away in Kansas City in March of 2018.

Kustom Signals was the spin off that largely created the market for portable, police operated speed enforcement radar and the company's factory is on Chestnut Street in Chanute.  The Kustom audio brand is now owned by Hanser Music Group based in Hebron, KY, and is no longer affiliated with Custom Signals.

John Fruits:
Way back when I visited the Kustom factory.  It seems that sometimes the employees would get bored and take time out to play with the Radar Guns.  One time they discovered they could check the speed of a fly buzzing up and down the hall.  Kustom Signals was also pitching a device like a tablet computer for police cruisers.  On a couple of test benches they had oscilloscopes with tuck and roll cases.  I recall them as being red sparkle.

Ivan Beaver:

--- Quote from: Tim McCulloch on April 06, 2020, 06:42:27 PM ---Tuck and roll PA by Kustom from Chanute, KS by Bud Ross (Ross stomp-box pedals).  Bud passed away in Kansas City in March of 2018.

Kustom Signals was the spin off that largely created the market for portable, police operated speed enforcement radar and the company's factory is on Chestnut Street in Chanute.  The Kustom audio brand is now owned by Hanser Music Group based in Hebron, KY, and is no longer affiliated with Custom Signals.

--- End quote ---
Right before they went out of business (or so I am told the story) they made some "professional" consoles.

I heard there were 7 made.  At one time I owned 3 of them and knew where a 4th was.  The 24 channel verison weighed around 250 lbs or so.  Each channel was individually shielded, had a 5 band true LCR tone control circuit, switchable high and low pass filters, and I think a compressor on each channel.

The auxes were the stupidest I have ever seen.  They sent a signal to the rear of each channel, and had a return on each channel. but were not summed together.

So no monitor mixes or effects mixes.

I turned one of the 24 channel versions into a 8 mix monitor console and did a good number of national acts on it, after I redid the preamp, which was very low impedance input and would completely kill the tone at the FOH console due to the loading.

Oh those were the days.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version