ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tax season - what code do you use?  (Read 1636 times)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Tax season - what code do you use?
« on: March 30, 2020, 12:56:31 PM »

So, I am finishing up taxes. What business code are people like me, a small production company, using?

Thanks as always
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
Re: Tax season - what code do you use?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 01:21:23 PM »

So, I am finishing up taxes. What business code are people like me, a small production company, using?

Thanks as always

I use 999999 and have for years. I am a free lancer and it seems like no code fits. Code 999999 is the code the IRS uses for unclassified establishments. But if you are using Turbo Tax I understand that 999999 spits out an error. 

Paul Miller

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 02:55:49 AM »

I've always used 541990 - All other professional, scientific, and technical services.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 07:33:20 PM »

I use 512200 (though, I do no recordings).

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 03:52:24 AM »

How long do you get in the US to put in your tax assessment?

In the UK, the tax year ends around the 1st of April, as I assume yours does.  We then have until the 31st of January to put in our tax return.  I always do mine in April, but I am amazed by the number of people panicking towards the end of January, who have yet to put theirs in.

Steve.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 01:46:23 PM »

In a "normal" year, U.S. income taxes are due on April 15th.  One could easily apply for a 6 month extension to file, but the taxes are still due on the original date.

This year, due to COVID-19, the new date (for both filing and paying) is June 15th.  https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus

Dave

...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 12:45:09 AM »

In a "normal" year, U.S. income taxes are due on April 15th.  One could easily apply for a 6 month extension to file, but the taxes are still due on the original date.

This year, due to COVID-19, the new date (for both filing and paying) is July 15th.  https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus

Dave

July 15.
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2020, 01:01:48 PM »

In the UK, the tax year ends around the 1st of April, as I assume yours does.  We then have until the 31st of January to put in our tax return.  I always do mine in April, but I am amazed by the number of people panicking towards the end of January, who have yet to put theirs in.

Steve.

In the US, the tax year is normally January 1 through December 31 -- but businesses may use a fiscal year, interpreted as: "12 consecutive months ending on the last day of any month except December. A 52-53-week tax year is a fiscal tax year that varies from 52 to 53 weeks but does not have to end on the last day of a month." (see https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/tax-years )

Filing is normally due on April 15 (or the next business day thereafter, if the 15th falls on a weekend or holiday). As others have said, this year the filing period has been extended to July 15.

Disclaimer: I am not an accountant. The above is not legal advice. It's not illegal, either, as long as you don't cite me as a source.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 01:07:21 PM by Jonathan Johnson »
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2020, 01:01:48 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 22 queries.