ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cases for Light Trees  (Read 2067 times)

Peter Kowalczyk

Cases for Light Trees
« on: March 29, 2020, 09:53:22 PM »

I put together a pair of light bars, each with four Blizzard Hotboxes, and I'm looking for a case for them.  Each bar is 54" long x 11" wide x 5" deep, but I could also see packing both together with some extra padding, for something like 54" x 14" x 14."     

I'm seeing some general-purpose options and some keyboard cases from SKB and Gator that would work, but I'm guessing there might be comparable / more-cost-effective options aimed at sports or other lower-tech markets.  Anyone found a slick solution so I don't have to reinvent the wheel?

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: Cases for Light Trees
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 10:24:09 PM »

Hi Peter.  I'd say that the soft/padded keyboard cases are already the cost-effective option.  The hard cases cost a bit more.  I've been able to repurpose golf club and rifle cases on occasion, but I don't know if you'll come out ahead with that cost-wise.  Another option is building a "meat rack" that's often used to transport Par Bars and the like.  For only a pair of bars though I don't think you'd gain much here either...  I want to say that a few members here have found ways to hang bars overhead in their trailers (thus not needing a case), but I don't recall the names or the specifics...  Hope this helps!

Steve Garris

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 02:42:29 PM »

I use the padded keyboard cases. At $50, it’s a good investment. I use mostly cheap Chinese pars, but I have a couple of HotBoxes. The only bummer is when you get them home you can’t rack mount the light bar, due to the case.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 02:53:58 PM »

I use the padded keyboard cases. I use the soft ones ( with extra foam reinforcement to the bottom and sides) for the lightweight plastic fixtures and the heavier duty keyboard cases on wheels for the heavier metal bodies fixtures. I move everything myself so no risk of damage (well very little)....

I used to have some very thin pars that I could get into a hard body bass guitar case whilst attached to the tree T bar... That was cool because each case was relatively lightweight but very well protected. I got the cases from GC used for about $20 each ( a good few years ago) I sold them because they weren't as bright as I needed and I haven't come across any fixtures since that are thin enough whilst being bright enough for me.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Peter Kowalczyk

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 09:37:42 PM »

Sounds like padded keyboard cases are the call then.   Thanks for reassuring me ;-)

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 10:15:14 PM »

54" long is going to make it more difficult to find an off the shelf case.  Not too many that I've seen are more than 48 inches.

If you can reconfigure your pieces into shorter sections, it would make it a lot easier to find a case for them.

At 46 inches, there's something like this:

https://www.audiopile.net/MSC-1648
Brian Jojade

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 12:27:29 PM »

Like others have said, 54" is long. Have you looked at hard golf club cases... just a thought.

-Dennis

Nils Erickson

• San Francisco
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 02:35:38 AM »

Peter,
I have some of those same fixtures that I regularly use on a small band gig.  I mounted them on a square crossbar that I got with some ST132 stands.  The bar was long, so I cut down the ends with a hacksaw.  All four fixtures now live on this stumpy 40" bar, prewired and ready to go.  I also plugged Wi-Cicles into them so I don't need to run the DMX lines. A single powercon cable feeds each tree.
Best yet, all of this fits into a Audiopile C001 trunk.  I built three compartments in the bottom of it for power, NL4, and DMX cable and controller; on top is a removable shelf that the lights sit on. So, this trunk is the first thing unpacked at a gig, and the last thing packed.  We set up lights first, get power in place, place loudspeakers and cable them.  Then trunk two opens.

A second similar trunk (an RT01) has tubes for the mic stands (horizontally), with a similar shelf on top.  That holds a lift out tray for mics/DIs, and all the XLR.  These trunks are the same size. Basically this trunk has everything from the performer to the snake/console.

This goes along with a mixer rack with wireless mics, IEMs, and a couple of four channel amps.  Those three cases, some subs, mains, and light stands do the whole gig.
Anyway, maybe more info than you needed.  The whole thing started with me having the same question as you, so I thought I would share.

Other than that, I also had a custom box built with two prewired bars that have four RokBoxes each (that is the bigger version of the Hotbox).  The case ended up being big, not easily fitting truck pack dimensions... but it works well and holds some power, DMX and a small controller too.  Good for when someone need a couple of powerful lighting trees. 

Hope that helps,
Nils

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 02:35:38 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.