ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL SRX 835P or Yamaha DZR315  (Read 12786 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: JBL SRX 835P or Yamaha DZR315
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2020, 09:12:07 PM »

I can't believe anyone hasn't said it yet, but since you already have SRX828SP's it would be silly not to get the matching tops. It's nice to have your entire FOH stacks be of the same brand.

I did ...or at least I said it is usually the best bet to match them...
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Bob Stone

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2020, 12:49:15 AM »

I did ...or at least I said it is usually the best bet to match them...

Well given he has Yamaha monitors he could match those....but ya, close enough I suppose :)

John Mcleod

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2020, 04:51:22 AM »

I think that many of us here would be happy to have such a decision between two very nice boxes ;)

I am looking forward to hearing how it works out for you!
I want to  thank you all for your time. .
I knew several people here have the 835.
I also understand that now owning 4 x 828sp ..the 835 would make more sense..hense my dilemma. .
To hear owners of srx gear having heard the 315 and liking what they heard is a positive impact on my decision. .
And of course the $2000 can be used elsewhere. .2 more 12" boxes for monitors. .
If Yamaha had a reasonable 2x18 powered box ..i would have looked into it..however ...having owned 4 x ETX18SP which is a clean bass box..i find the 828sp to sound very smooth..this seems to be my best description. .and the clean sounding 315 may sound like a fantastic combination ..i will make my final decision by tomorrow ..
Thanks again
John

John Mcleod

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2020, 05:51:09 AM »

Also
I quick question. ..
If you have 2 x 315 per side and horn is V75°×50°H
What would your splay distance be approximately ..
If i have worded this correctly. ?

Scott Slater

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2020, 07:34:04 AM »

I have an SRX835P / SRX828SP rig, and love it.  The tops work very well alone (no subs) in many situations too.  I have never A/B'd them with Yamahas so I really can't say, but I think either way you will be happy.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2020, 09:53:02 AM »

I want to  thank you all for your time. .
I knew several people here have the 835.
I also understand that now owning 4 x 828sp ..the 835 would make more sense..hense my dilemma. .
To hear owners of srx gear having heard the 315 and liking what they heard is a positive impact on my decision. .
And of course the $2000 can be used elsewhere. .2 more 12" boxes for monitors. .
If Yamaha had a reasonable 2x18 powered box ..i would have looked into it..however ...having owned 4 x ETX18SP which is a clean bass box..i find the 828sp to sound very smooth..this seems to be my best description. .and the clean sounding 315 may sound like a fantastic combination ..i will make my final decision by tomorrow ..
Thanks again
John

Hi John,

I have run for years on DSR112's over JBL PRX618XLF's.  I wanted very very much to go into the shop and like the JBL matching tops, but doing the side-by-side with the DSR's there was really no comparison.

I also know that there are several others on this board that ran a similar configuration as a preferred rig even when they also owned the JBL tops to go with the sub.

I haven't heard the DZR315 vs the JBL myself; however, I would say that I have never felt like my rig suffered from its lack of one brand use.  I am not sure that (other than aesthetics) there is a reason to stay with a single brand.

Lev Raber

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2020, 11:32:20 AM »

Are the 835p worth the extra $2000..?

No. I've heard both. Sound close, both heavy (big no no for me), both without pole cups, which is usually common for 3-way cabinets, so will not go on speaker stand. JBL has 3" VC polymer HF driver against 2" VC titanium for Yamaha.
Both cabinets sound good, but I'm partial to Yamaha.

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2020, 02:07:18 PM »

No I don't have any. I did buy a pair of DZR's 112's and ran them last season to see if any huge upgrade from DSR.  Was not, sold them and bought Debbie's DSR's.

I do have KW153's and a few years ago they were the top of my inventory and I thought they were quite capable.  Now they sorta fill a gap and area $50 upgrade on rental from KW122's.

My bad Scott, got which dzr you bought confused with the kw153's....or maybe i'm just dyslectic and rearranged 153 into 315 Lol

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2020, 07:00:37 PM »

Just a quick question.  Do you really need two full range cabs per side?  My experience with the SRX835P and with QSC KW153 (fairly close to the design of the DZR315) has been that they really need more splay than just having the sides of the cabinets touching.  The resulting pattern is very wide, wider than 120 degrees if you want to minimize the comb filtering.  If you splay the cabinets less, or heaven forbid aim them fairly straight, the resulting sound isn't nearly as good a what a single cabinet provides.  And, with dual cabinets per side, you will run out of sub before you run out of full range.  Better to have one very good sounding cabinet than two that are just a tiny bit louder but sound much worse.  Of course you could time delay the second set of cabinets if you need a longer throw, but that has it's on set of challenges.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2020, 08:43:12 PM »

Just a quick question.  Do you really need two full range cabs per side?  My experience with the SRX835P and with QSC KW153 (fairly close to the design of the DZR315) has been that they really need more splay than just having the sides of the cabinets touching.  The resulting pattern is very wide, wider than 120 degrees if you want to minimize the comb filtering.  If you splay the cabinets less, or heaven forbid aim them fairly straight, the resulting sound isn't nearly as good a what a single cabinet provides.  And, with dual cabinets per side, you will run out of sub before you run out of full range.  Better to have one very good sounding cabinet than two that are just a tiny bit louder but sound much worse.  Of course you could time delay the second set of cabinets if you need a longer throw, but that has it's on set of challenges.
Interesting question then.

Will a single DZR315 hang with an SRX828p?  My guess is "Yes".  I base this on the fact that a single DSR112 can hang with a pair of JBL XLF's.  I would expect a DZR315 to be somewhat louder than a DSR112. 

I think this is good advice and would save lots of money and moving weight.... but as with all things YMMV.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2020, 08:43:12 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.