ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha VXL for Live Music?  (Read 2353 times)

Derek Bird

Yamaha VXL for Live Music?
« on: March 28, 2020, 03:27:45 AM »

Unique situation here so I'm searching for a unique solution. I've been tasked by our church to design a complete new sound system for a new sanctuary that is going to have a lot of acoustic obstacles to overcome. Meaning the new room is more indicative of a sales floor display room for a car dealership than your traditional church sanctuary. Dimensions are 36.83 x 46.75 x 8.75 (L x W x H). Behind the stage and stage Left walls are concrete. Back and Stage Left walls are sliding glass panels that open to allow for the expansion of the room to a muli-use room and an outdoor patio/seating area. Ceiling is also a hard plaster surface while the floor in tile. (I just saw all of you cringe as I did in disgust of my description of this room. Believe me when I say I tried getting things changed and struck out.)

New digital mixer is going to be the Yamaha TF5. Amps are yet to be determined but will be whatever matches up to our speaker choice the best.

Since the room is small and will be a harsh environment, I've come across Yamaha's VXL line of speakers that seem to be designed specifically for harsh acoustic environments. Speech clarity is what they were designed for and they claim, excellent direct line music playback. What I cannot find is, would these speakers work for a live music scenario? On average we have 5 instruments (all line input to the mixer, including electronic drums) with 3 vocalists playing around 88-90db. 

Any guidance in speaker selection for this unique situation would be appreciated.
Thanks

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Yamaha VXL for Live Music?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 03:58:39 AM »

Unique situation here so I'm searching for a unique solution. I've been tasked by our church to design a complete new sound system for a new sanctuary that is going to have a lot of acoustic obstacles to overcome. Meaning the new room is more indicative of a sales floor display room for a car dealership than your traditional church sanctuary. Dimensions are 36.83 x 46.75 x 8.75 (L x W x H). Behind the stage and stage Left walls are concrete. Back and Stage Left walls are sliding glass panels that open to allow for the expansion of the room to a muli-use room and an outdoor patio/seating area. Ceiling is also a hard plaster surface while the floor in tile. (I just saw all of you cringe as I did in disgust of my description of this room. Believe me when I say I tried getting things changed and struck out.)

New digital mixer is going to be the Yamaha TF5. Amps are yet to be determined but will be whatever matches up to our speaker choice the best.

Since the room is small and will be a harsh environment, I've come across Yamaha's VXL line of speakers that seem to be designed specifically for harsh acoustic environments. Speech clarity is what they were designed for and they claim, excellent direct line music playback. What I cannot find is, would these speakers work for a live music scenario? On average we have 5 instruments (all line input to the mixer, including electronic drums) with 3 vocalists playing around 88-90db. 

Any guidance in speaker selection for this unique situation would be appreciated.
Thanks

With all due respect, if you have to ask a group of strangers on the Internet you are [size=78%]not qualified to design the system.[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Find a good design firm with references, go listen to thwir work and do the right thing for your congregation.[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Be a good steward of your resources.[/size]

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Derek Bird

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 07:37:33 AM »

With all due respect, if you have to ask a group of strangers on the Internet you are [size=78%]not qualified to design the system.[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Find a good design firm with references, go listen to thwir work and do the right thing for your congregation.[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Be a good steward of your resources.[/size]

I will completely agree with you that I am not qualified to Design a sound system on my own. I am also part of a military community in Italy and at the moment of construction being started as soon as our Lock Down is lifted. So I am the best hope they have at getting proper wiring run before it is too late. I would love to have more time but unfortunately I can't just go to the closest design firm and hire them. My experience is in Home theater Installations and running sound at churches for 15 years. I have never designed a commercial or Live music venue before. I know just enough to help but not enough to go at it alone which is why I am asking questions.

Do you have any experience with the VXL Line Array speakers that I asked about possibly using for a Live Music event?

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 08:33:20 AM »

In general.....the VXL is really nothing too special, there are lots of very similar speakers from just about every pro speaker manufacture.

One thing to keep in mind with just about any speaker like that is that they have a very wide horizontal coverage pattern, maybe not what you need in a room of glass walls.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 02:17:00 PM »

I will completely agree with you that I am not qualified to Design a sound system on my own. I am also part of a military community in Italy and at the moment of construction being started as soon as our Lock Down is lifted. So I am the best hope they have at getting proper wiring run before it is too late. I would love to have more time but unfortunately I can't just go to the closest design firm and hire them. My experience is in Home theater Installations and running sound at churches for 15 years. I have never designed a commercial or Live music venue before. I know just enough to help but not enough to go at it alone which is why I am asking questions.

Do you have any experience with the VXL Line Array speakers that I asked about possibly using for a Live Music event?

Mike answered your question, the fact that you did not consider the pattern of the loudspeaker takes us down that same path.  While the logistic situation may be unique certainly the space is not unique, reverberant reflective rooms are very common.

If you want meaningful help:

1 - Attach a drawing of room including the ceiling height at multiple locations.  Note what each wall is, glass, concrete etc.
2 - Are your dimensions in feet or meters?
3 - What you described situation wise, is it really an advantage to install permanently
4 - What is your total budget for loudspeakers and amplifiers?

You don't have the time and resources to do it right.  Are the people spending the money going to be OK with an unusable, unintelligible sound system?   My guess is because you are the sound guy that have complete faith in your ability to execute.  I suggest you have a face to face with them.

Designer does not have to be onsite.  They can work with your remotely.

Stop fixating on brands and models and do a design first, it's like picking out a jet engine before you know the fuselage and wing design. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

MikeHarris

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 02:58:43 AM »

You have K-Array in Italy who...if your design did include this type of speaker...have a more extensive line of similar products better suited to your needs

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 02:58:43 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.