ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Outboard reverb unit for church livestream  (Read 3776 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: Outboard reverb unit for church livestream
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2020, 06:07:42 PM »

You do realize that reverb units are generally samples or digital approximations of the sounds of real spaces, right?  If this church is a former JC Penny, then sure, but if it's an actual old school church then the room sound will likely be better than what any digital unit can provide.  Yes, you have to move the mics around rather than change digital parameters, and I get that may be more trouble than it's worth, but I'd at least give it a try.  You could also change mic choice and placement of your primary sources to more of a studio setup, using an LDC for lead vocals and having the singer stand a little further away from the mic, which will allow more natural room sound to get in.

He's got no live instruments and not running the PA. What is going to excite the room?

I'm a big fan of using natural room sound too, but in this instance it makes sense to use a digital box.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Matthias McCready

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2020, 12:03:42 AM »

You do realize that reverb units are generally samples or digital approximations of the sounds of real spaces, right?  If this church is a former JC Penny, then sure, but if it's an actual old school church then the room sound will likely be better than what any digital unit can provide.  Yes, you have to move the mics around rather than change digital parameters, and I get that may be more trouble than it's worth, but I'd at least give it a try. 

Yes, I realize this. My reasons are thus:

1. Most of my favorite room/crowd mics cost $350-2000 each, which seems to beyond the budget.
2. I often process said room mics with multiband compression and do some sidechaining, processing which is not available here.
3. Not all churches have great acoustics (which you noted).
4. Depending on loudspeaker quality and deployment, the excitation source is not inherently pleasant. This may add, or it may not. As you noted this also dependant upon the position.

Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2020, 12:03:42 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.