ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Outboard reverb unit for church livestream  (Read 3726 times)

Thomas Le

Outboard reverb unit for church livestream
« on: March 27, 2020, 10:07:26 AM »

A bizarre request I know, and before you all say "go digital", it's a long story of the church board being a GL2400, not feasible lugging my personal M32R every Sunday, dealing with physical patching and getting everything situated, especially when the ban is lifted.

Now there is no FX unit currently because of the natural acoustics of the church I volunteer at doesn't need it, but now with everything going on, it would help that the vocals (and maybe the acoustic guitar) in the music portion would get some reverb on the livestream hence where the outboard comes in. It'd be nice to get a PCM but this is my own money so I'm kinda down to two units:

• TC Electronic M-ONE XL
  • Lexicon MX300 / MX400

What's your pick?

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: Outboard reverb unit for church livestream
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 12:32:48 PM »

Go with the M-ONE XL or even the M-One version.
If for nothing else they are easier to set up and program than the mentioned Lexicon units.

Personally any nit picking over the effect "sound" is not worth it at least at this level of effect units.

I used the M-ONE's with my GL2400's all the time.

Shameless sales pitch here, guess what I have a few extra of just laying around?

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 04:32:30 PM »

Go with the M-ONE XL or even the M-One version.
If for nothing else they are easier to set up and program than the mentioned Lexicon units.

Personally any nit picking over the effect "sound" is not worth it at least at this level of effect units.

I used the M-ONE's with my GL2400's all the time.

Shameless sales pitch here, guess what I have a few extra of just laying around?

^^this

extra credit since i don't have a horse in this fight.  :)  But yeah, this isn't one to overthink too much.  The M-ONEs are great.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 09:25:46 AM »

Have you considered room mics and blending in some of the natural sound of the church?
Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

Thomas Le

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 06:47:45 PM »

Have you considered room mics and blending in some of the natural sound of the church?

I have thought of that but would need to experiment with placement and running more long XLR cables. Main PA is turned off though.

OTOH, made an offer for an M2000, will see if seller accepts...

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 08:02:52 PM »

I have thought of that but would need to experiment with placement and running more long XLR cables. Main PA is turned off though.

PA off and producing a live stream mix mixed on headphones and or a couple small monitors is the new norm for churches right now.

Matthias McCready

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2020, 09:01:13 PM »

Personally I would take some tasteful reverb over room mics.

From my perspective the point of room mics is to hear the audience, rather than the PA; which is difficult with an empty room.
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2020, 03:37:17 PM »

Do you have live instruments on stage?

If so you could just put a couple condensors pointing back at the muso's and use that more as a "room" mic than an "audience" mic. It would add back a sense of space for free if you have a couple mics kicking around. No need to have the PA on.

If you have digital drums and direct guitars etc, I would go for the outboard reverb. You can get them cheap enough nowadays.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Thomas Le

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2020, 08:36:38 PM »

Do you have live instruments on stage?

If so you could just put a couple condensors pointing back at the muso's and use that more as a "room" mic than an "audience" mic. It would add back a sense of space for free if you have a couple mics kicking around. No need to have the PA on.

If you have digital drums and direct guitars etc, I would go for the outboard reverb. You can get them cheap enough nowadays.

Nope, just a Yamaha Clavinova.

My quest has somewhat ended in that I'm borrowing an M2000. Will see if I can buy it for cheap hehe...

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 08:42:19 AM »

Personally I would take some tasteful reverb over room mics.

From my perspective the point of room mics is to hear the audience, rather than the PA; which is difficult with an empty room.

You do realize that reverb units are generally samples or digital approximations of the sounds of real spaces, right?  If this church is a former JC Penny, then sure, but if it's an actual old school church then the room sound will likely be better than what any digital unit can provide.  Yes, you have to move the mics around rather than change digital parameters, and I get that may be more trouble than it's worth, but I'd at least give it a try.  You could also change mic choice and placement of your primary sources to more of a studio setup, using an LDC for lead vocals and having the singer stand a little further away from the mic, which will allow more natural room sound to get in.
Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 08:42:19 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.