ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: American DJ Scene Setter vs. DMX 512 Controller  (Read 1501 times)

libdiv

American DJ Scene Setter vs. DMX 512 Controller
« on: March 25, 2020, 07:32:08 PM »

Hi ProSound Community,

I am quite new to DMX lighting in some ways, and do a lot of work at our church with our lighting system. currently, we have a cheapo DMX 512 controller form China that has served us really well actually. Our controller has 12 scanners, which we have all addressed to various fixtures (rotating rgb heads, lasers, RGB lights, etc.) currently, setting scenes has been quite easy on this and editing settings on individual fixtures based on DMX address. for instance, I can select scanner one, and then set lighting properties with 16 different sliders (depending on how many settings are available). I can edit a bunch, create a cool scene, and save it easily.

BUT this unit began malfunctioning a bit on us, and we decided we wanted to upgrade. Our pastor found a good deal on a American DJ 24 Channel Scene Setter, but it didn't come with any instructions or anything. I don't know much about the unit, and haven't been able to find much yet online. I am wondering - is it possible to set multiple settings on a certain fixture like the old one? there isnt "scanners" on this one like the dmx 512 controller. When we plug in our unit to the DMX daisy chain we have, all the fixtures change, but on the first setting from the old controller. I cannot seem to change anything else?

Did we get something that won't really do what we were hoping? We may have fell for the "more buttons and bells", and just assumed since it was a more expensive unit that it would work.

I am glad to provide more info if necessary, but if someone knows if this will meet our needs, that would be awesome!

Thanks,

Jay Zimmerman
Liberation Division Center

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: American DJ Scene Setter vs. DMX 512 Controller
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 07:46:28 PM »

Hi ProSound Community,

I am quite new to DMX lighting in some ways, and do a lot of work at our church with our lighting system. currently, we have a cheapo DMX 512 controller form China that has served us really well actually. Our controller has 12 scanners, which we have all addressed to various fixtures (rotating rgb heads, lasers, RGB lights, etc.) currently, setting scenes has been quite easy on this and editing settings on individual fixtures based on DMX address. for instance, I can select scanner one, and then set lighting properties with 16 different sliders (depending on how many settings are available). I can edit a bunch, create a cool scene, and save it easily.

BUT this unit began malfunctioning a bit on us, and we decided we wanted to upgrade. Our pastor found a good deal on a American DJ 24 Channel Scene Setter, but it didn't come with any instructions or anything. I don't know much about the unit, and haven't been able to find much yet online. I am wondering - is it possible to set multiple settings on a certain fixture like the old one? there isnt "scanners" on this one like the dmx 512 controller. When we plug in our unit to the DMX daisy chain we have, all the fixtures change, but on the first setting from the old controller. I cannot seem to change anything else?

Did we get something that won't really do what we were hoping? We may have fell for the "more buttons and bells", and just assumed since it was a more expensive unit that it would work.

I am glad to provide more info if necessary, but if someone knows if this will meet our needs, that would be awesome!

Thanks,

Jay Zimmerman
Liberation Division Center

Please update your display name to your real, verifiable name as disclosed when you signed up.  A mod will come along and lock the post until you do.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: American DJ Scene Setter vs. DMX 512 Controller
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 07:46:28 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.