ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Ideal Mobile Dj Speaker  (Read 8112 times)

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
Re: The Ideal Mobile Dj Speaker
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2020, 08:45:03 AM »

Pretty sure I put in a request back in 2016 for a dj subwoofer, needs to be a 12" cube capable of producing 128 db 15hz-120hz

6x 12" drivers would each require a one-way linear excursion of 143mm to produce 128dB@15Hz.
If we relax that to 35Hz, the one-way excursion needs to be 26mm, which feels possible.

This driver would probably get close: https://stereointegrity.com/product/sql-series-12/

Because there would be so many cones crammed into a tiny space, efficiency would be staggeringly low - around 80dB@1w, so the required power inputs would be phenomenal.
With six of those drivers crammed into a very very small box, you'd need around 100KW input to get the cones moving to their limits. That's a factor of 18x what they're rated for, well in excess of what's typically recommended.

So, with current technology it's not happening.

Bigger boxes help, but where's the fun in that?

Chris
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 09:38:14 AM by Chris Grimshaw »
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Randy Pence

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2020, 11:19:56 AM »

One of the dj world monitor standards is the funktion one psm318. I've never heard it, but the world famous Panorama Bar in Berlin uses them, despite having gone through 2 separate main sound systems from competing manufacturers.

In essence, it is a sub with loud mid-high pack, angled up towards the ears, quite similar to what drummers like to sit next to. i have a feeling that a good sub with coax/pointsource top combo can be had from quite a few other manufacturers, for example danley th118xl/sm60f (sm80m if one needs more juice)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2020, 11:19:56 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 19 queries.