ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The Ideal Mobile Dj Speaker  (Read 8024 times)

toby silver

The Ideal Mobile Dj Speaker
« on: March 24, 2020, 03:19:53 PM »

heya guys, im an acoustic engineer and want to build the "ideal" speaker for professinal mobile Dj's and nightclubs, heres a google form on how important different attributes of speakers are. (i do plan on designing and posibly selling systems that fit this reaserch if possible)

https://forms.gle/9MNEbUG1XLj18VU18

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: The Ideal Mobile Dj Speaker
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 04:06:07 PM »

heya guys, im an acoustic engineer and want to build the "ideal" speaker for professinal mobile Dj's and nightclubs, heres a google form on how important different attributes of speakers are. (i do plan on designing and posibly selling systems that fit this reaserch if possible)

Good luck. 

Trying to make a living off this is optimistic.  There are a few people on this forum that have quite a bit of knowledge, especially for DIY, but none of them make a living from it. 

In the old days, DIY was necessary, then an option to save money.  Now it's a great way to learn.  Unless you have manufacturing economy of scale, healthy marketing budget, and designs that are evolutionary ......
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 08:13:46 PM »

This is an easy one! Needs to produce about 40ish hz to 20k at over 130dB at 1 meter with less than .1% distortion AND it needs to be self powered AND fit in my pocket. Battery powered would be a major plus++

Build that and you'll be a zillionair.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 09:02:34 PM »

^^^ Or USB powered.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 09:11:22 PM »

Quite an ambitious undertaking.  As alluded to, DIY was once necessary and today it's optional.  You can buy everything needed for a DJ setup that will get you paid, over the counter or online.

Back when I got started 40+ years ago, we built much of our gear, mainly out of necessity.  Some was scratch built to save money as well.  I ran kit built lighting controllers and mixers.  Built quite a few different designs of speaker cabinets, as well as setup configurations with over the counter components.

With the market as saturated as it is today, IMO you should target full system packages that are modular.  To get in, and survive won't happen with just a good product, there are many out there today.  You will need a marketing strategy that sets your business apart from the competition.

Exposure, lots of demo's at lots of places, drawings, give-away's to get your gear out there and get it talked about.  Customer service above the rest as well.

It could be done.

Good luck with it.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 11:43:09 PM by Steve-White »

Matthias McCready

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 09:58:19 PM »

I feel the mobile DJ market is probably a harder market than most, as the two driving aspects seem to be price, horrifically cheap, and name recognition, "JBL" or shudder "Bose."

--
As a side note, a friend recently bought some 15" "DJ subs" I feel like the price he paid was what shipping should have cost!

Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 11:03:41 PM »

Hi Toby, I too will chime in with the notion that "ideal" can mean different things to different people.  Within the DJ community there are so many variables in applications that the right thing in one setting will be the wrong thing in another.  Even at the "pro" level where money is more lucrative there's still a reason why you see so many options on the market.  I don't want to say it can't be done, but as an engineer you'll agree that every design is driven by requirements and compromises.  A quick flip through a Musician's Friend or Sweetwater catalog will tell you where the majority of DJs and bar bands spend their money and what they're willing to pay.  Look at which products shook up the market and why.  In semi-chronological order, Mackie SRM450 & JBL EON, QSC HPR Series, JBL SRX700/800, and the Yamaha DSR Series all come to mind as have some degree of significance in market presence and/or bang to buck. 

On a different note, if you're planning to build and sell these speakers for profit you'll want to set yourself up as a business if you haven't done so already, along with a nice insurance policy for liability.  Good luck!

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 03:21:54 AM »

What about training and after-sale support?  Most DJ's don't have a reputation for advanced audio system design and deployment, so figure higher cost to cover these.  Along with marketing to possibly the most price-conscious segment of the audio market. 

Self-powered, I assume?  How advanced are the limiters?  How physically durable vs light weight?   Basic wood boxes, or custom formed polymer?  Overhead budget for warranty repairs or replacement?  Manufacturer direct or rep firms?  How heavily will you subsidize the marketing department? 

Do you have enough start-up capital to buy parts in bulk quantity?  What about to cover salaries for everyone even if zero meaningful sales for 6 months? 

Are you going for "Super Turbo Magnum Sound 5000" level of quality or Bassboss or L'Acoustics or Danley or what?  You can't compete and be profitable, or even compete at all, with all of them.

Pole mount only, or flyable?  The latter isn't cheap.

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

MikeHarris

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2020, 03:49:36 AM »

Had my heart set on a Super Turbo Magnum Sound 10000 but budget is tite...will the 5000 fill my requirements ?

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2020, 08:49:25 AM »

I feel the mobile DJ market is probably a harder market than most, as the two driving aspects seem to be price, horrifically cheap, and name recognition, "JBL" or shudder "Bose."

--
As a side note, a friend recently bought some 15" "DJ subs" I feel like the price he paid was what shipping should have cost!

You forgot Watts, preferably unrealistically inflated quantities thereof marketed in an overenthusiastic manner... ;-)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2020, 08:49:25 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.