ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: USB Soundcard with XLR balanced outputs  (Read 90823 times)

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: USB Soundcard with XLR balanced outputs
« Reply #80 on: August 24, 2013, 06:46:34 PM »

Has anyone tried the Radial USB-Pro?
http://www.radialeng.com/r2011/usbpro.php
Not personally, but we did sell one of the first ones on the market to a local church, no complaints. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

George Friedman-Jimenez

• NYC
« Reply #81 on: August 25, 2013, 08:52:49 PM »

Thanks Caleb. The Radial looks a bit more robust, but costs about 3 times as much as the Peavey. I know it doesn't have the inputs or digital outs the poster CJ was looking for, but I haven't seen something like that without proprietary drivers.

The one potential advantage of the Radial is that the Peavey is 48 kHz max and the Radial would let us play back raw 24/96 ProTools files. I am not saying 24/96 recordings sound noticeably better than 16/44 in a live setting, but for using original recordings as backing tracks in live performances, sometimes we want to mute the tracks of the 1, 2 or 3 performers who will be performing that night. Obviously, in the studio we could do several mixdowns with different performers muted on each, but sometimes we are in a rush and just want to bring a copy of the latest multitrack mix and mute the tracks we need to mute. We have done that a few times and used the headphone out but it would be nice to have the flexibility to use the USB digital out and get a little better sound.

Scott, how do you like the Radial USB Pro you just got?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 09:02:49 PM by George Friedman-Jimenez »

Gleb Kotelnytskyy

« Reply #82 on: August 29, 2013, 08:59:30 PM »

First I jacked it in a micinput on my TOPAZ Macro desk, but it couldn't take the loud gain from the Nady, so I had to find adapters to jack in the lineinputs.
can you please explain "couldn't take the loud gain" phrase -- does it mean you'll always need to use adapters to plug it to any mixer? Isn't the gain knob on the deck responsible for setting up gain?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #83 on: August 29, 2013, 09:13:40 PM »

can you please explain

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #84 on: August 29, 2013, 09:14:04 PM »

can you please explain "couldn't take the loud gain" phrase -- does it mean you'll always need to use adapters to plug it to any mixer? Isn't the gain knob on the deck responsible for setting up gain?

Read the rules, fix your display name.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Charlie Johansson

« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2013, 12:07:23 AM »

Well...yes and no. Most quality mixers have a -20dB  pad on the XLR mic-input. My old Topaz doesn't.
It's never a problem in a live situation with a stagebox.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 12:12:40 AM by Charlie Johansson »

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.
« Reply #86 on: August 30, 2013, 07:43:39 AM »

Thanks Caleb. The Radial looks a bit more robust, but costs about 3 times as much as the Peavey. I know it doesn't have the inputs or digital outs the poster CJ was looking for, but I haven't seen something like that without proprietary drivers.

The one potential advantage of the Radial is that the Peavey is 48 kHz max and the Radial would let us play back raw 24/96 ProTools files. I am not saying 24/96 recordings sound noticeably better than 16/44 in a live setting, but for using original recordings as backing tracks in live performances, sometimes we want to mute the tracks of the 1, 2 or 3 performers who will be performing that night. Obviously, in the studio we could do several mixdowns with different performers muted on each, but sometimes we are in a rush and just want to bring a copy of the latest multitrack mix and mute the tracks we need to mute. We have done that a few times and used the headphone out but it would be nice to have the flexibility to use the USB digital out and get a little better sound.

Scott, how do you like the Radial USB Pro you just got?

George,  Regarding Radial in general, if you are not familiar with them, they build a bullet proof product across the board.  They might not be the cheapest solution, but given the design and construction standard of everything they make, I consider their pricing to be a great deal.  I would fully expect to get 10 to 20 years service from anything they make.  I own maybe close to 50 of their various boxes and I have yet to have a single failure.  I do not currently own any of the USB boxes, but I have priced them and intend to buy some. 
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #86 on: August 30, 2013, 07:43:39 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 23 queries.