ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: USB Soundcard with XLR balanced outputs  (Read 90854 times)

Ivan Feder

• Paris, France
Re: USB Soundcard with XLR balanced outputs
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 05:03:14 AM »

I love my M-Audio fast track pro!
It's got it all and more..............
Can be found for about $150
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrackPro.html

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 10:29:56 AM »

Can you use more than one at a time on a single computer?  I have an Edirol that is what the Behringer is based off of and I don't think I can use more than 1 at a time because of the basic ASIO driver.

It depends on your computer. In MacOS you can build an aggregate audio device which can be made up of multiple smaller devices, but if you want more than 2 channel playback I don't think these simple 2ch devices are what you want. For lots of us, who need a clean output to playback preshow music from our laptops, these devices are ideal.

Mac

Mark Dawson

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 05:56:53 AM »

Toby,

We have an edirol unit (I think the UA-25).  We bought it primarily as an input device as it has two xlr mic pre's.   It outputs on trs jack and rca (and spdif). The one main feature is it does all you need without a driver CD.  Just plug and play on windows. Lots of bang for your buck at slightly under four hundy.   Can post it down if you want to have a mess round with it.

Also our dj rigs have Native Instruments Audio2DJ's which we've had great sucess with. $229 at the Rockshop.  Outputs are unbalanced however.

Chur

Toby Mills

• Noise Productions Ltd
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 11:55:27 PM »

Thanks all,

Some interesting discussion that is hopefully useful to others.

I've ordered the Peavey to have a mess around with and see what it sounds like.
Not normally a peavey fan but in this case they are the only co that seems to make exactly what I want at around the price point I think such a device should be worth.
I definately want XLR outputs, saves having to adapt or muck around with DI's as well.

Most of the ones with TRS seem to be mainly aimed at the recording markets, I really don't need inputs as well and the peavey seems relatively road ready.

My thinking is that a device designed with only two outputs and XLR balanced is pretty squarely aimed at the live pro audio market so it should be exactly what we need for laptop only playback. Hopefully it doesn't need any drivers as well, that would be perfect then.

I'll do some testing when it arrives (8 week lead time) and report back.

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 12:04:43 AM »

Yikes! Where is there an 8 week backlog? It is listed on lots of online stores.

Mac

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2011, 08:43:42 AM »

Yikes! Where is there an 8 week backlog? It is listed on lots of online stores.

Mac

By the time the package gets to the "Slow Boat To China", which detours to NZ,........
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2011, 10:10:50 AM »

I wonder....most of the newer laptops have pretty decent sound cards in them, certainly adequate for the simple playback of music.  Are you sure the Peavey USB sound card is better or even as good as the sound card that came with your laptop?  And, you also have the task of interfacing a new device to a laptop/software combo handed to you that you may not be familiar with when you have a dozen other issues to deal with.  Of course it's different if it's your laptop that you use all the time(and you have admin rights to it!). 
I'm not a big fan of the 1/8" jack either, but substituting a 1/8" cable with a USB cable is not a big step up, especially if you are introducing new potential problems to the mix.

Here's what I use: http://whirlwindusa.com/catalog/black-boxes-effects-and-dis/direct-boxes/pcdi
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 01:14:57 PM by Chuck Simon »

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2011, 04:23:18 PM »

Quote from: Chuck Simon link=topic=1735.msg10103#msg10103
I'm not a big fan of the 1/8" jack either, but substituting a 1/8" cable with a USB cable is not a big step up, especially if you are introducing new potential problems to the mix.

I disagree. A USB cable is big step up. My laptop has a pretty good audio interface built in, but every USB interface I have used has been better. Even the electrical connection is better. The Peavey is also transformer isolated and ground lifted.

My only experience so far with the Peavey interface has been using them as the audio interface for a double of Mac Pros running Playback Pro video playback software. They sounds good, and were reliable.

I will be looking at the Duck's Echo version next week, and will probably buy a couple of whichever one seems nicer.

Mac

andy craig

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2011, 02:23:24 AM »

I come across an increasing number of events where the audio or backing tracks come off a laptop. Despite my hatred of the headphone port on a laptop as an audio source, I've found it difficult to recommend a suitable alternative.

What I'm looking for is a USB sound card with XLR balanced outputs.
Preferably without an external power supply for convinience.

Henry engineering has a product but I'm not familiar with their products. Has anyone ever come across such a thing in their travels that is suitable for pro audio use?

Regards
Toby
www.np.co.nz

Hi Toby,
We have a couple of the ARX USB DI's.
If you want to try one email me.

Chur,
andy craig

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2011, 08:15:38 PM »

Since Andy has yet to make any mention on his site or  add any details about his threat of a new USB guzzintaguzzoutta on any of the other lists how about posting your 'review' of their USB boxen when you get a chance.  Perhaps even a pic or three.

I will be looking at the Duck's Echo version next week, and will probably buy a couple of whichever one seems nicer.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2011, 08:15:38 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.