ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Allen&Heath people sq-5 to add channels to another Sq-5?  (Read 2201 times)

Douglas R. Allen

With 2 SQ-5's can the second SQ-5 aes out to the first  SQ-5 and be used as just a stage box for the first one?  Sort of like how a X32 Rack can be used with a X/M32 desk as a stage box.   This will be for both mains and monitors at FOH with a 32 channel analog snake.  Having the 32 channels in one desk will make monitors easier than just going out of the second desk L/R or a bunch of Aux patching as a side car. With the 2 desks right beside each other gain adjustments in the 2nd desk doesn't need to be done by the first desk.
I researched what I could and couldn't find it.
Thoughts?

Thanks;
Douglas R. Allen

Andrien (No Last Name)

Re: Allen&Heath people sq-5 to add channels to another Sq-5?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 10:06:15 AM »

I think it is possible, if you didn't use the digital snake box technically you could link from 1 SLink port to another SLink port, but how would you connect the 32 Channel analog box if SQ5 only has 16 onboards preamp? Or you mean they cross share each 16 pre-amps to each other? I think half of each input will need to use trimming as SQ might not support direct pre-amp control over another board?
Try to look at this document:
https://www.allen-heath.com/media/SLinkConnections_V1_4_0.pdf

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 10:18:20 AM »

I think it is possible, if you didn't use the digital snake box technically you could link from 1 SLink port to another SLink port, but how would you connect the 32 Channel analog box if SQ5 only has 16 onboards preamp? Or you mean they cross share each 16 pre-amps to each other? I think half of each input will need to use trimming as SQ might not support direct pre-amp control over another board?
Try to look at this document:
https://www.allen-heath.com/media/SLinkConnections_V1_4_0.pdf

I'm thinking in terms of using a SQ-5 as a replacement to a AB168.  Go into the 2nd Sq-5 with 16 XLR's from the snake. Send these channels to channels 17-32 on the first SQ-5. Basicly first SQ-5 for snake channels 1-16. Second SQ-5 for snake channels 17-32 sent to the the first 5 to land on layers 17-32.
Possible?
Douglas R. Allen

I wanted to add as anyone can tell I'm unfamiliar with the A/H setup

Eric Snodgrass

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 04:48:22 PM »

I'm thinking in terms of using a SQ-5 as a replacement to a AB168.  Go into the 2nd Sq-5 with 16 XLR's from the snake. Send these channels to channels 17-32 on the first SQ-5. Basicly first SQ-5 for snake channels 1-16. Second SQ-5 for snake channels 17-32 sent to the the first 5 to land on layers 17-32.
Possible?
Douglas R. Allen

I wanted to add as anyone can tell I'm unfamiliar with the A/H setup

If you connect the two consoles via the SLink ports then it is possible.  You can then use the Tie Lines feature on the consoles to send, pre-processing, the 16 channels from one console to the other console. 
Why would you want to get a second console to do this?  Wouldn't a second AB168 be a less-expensive option?  Or even selling the AB168 and purchasing two DX168 boxes (which would make the entire signal chain 96kHz), thus getting rid of the analog snake entirely. 

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2020, 08:13:49 PM »

If you connect the two consoles via the SLink ports then it is possible.  You can then use the Tie Lines feature on the consoles to send, pre-processing, the 16 channels from one console to the other console. 
Why would you want to get a second console to do this?  Wouldn't a second AB168 be a less-expensive option?  Or even selling the AB168 and purchasing two DX168 boxes (which would make the entire signal chain 96kHz), thus getting rid of the analog snake entirely.

Not my show or equipment. For them its a 1 off show. 2 people each have a desk and want to run them together. They were thinking of just using one as a side car. Using the L/R and Aux outs but I thought I'd ask here first if one could be used just to add channels to the other. Looks like the SLink is the way to go. Now they can try it ahead of time.  Of course if their show is still on due to the virus.

Thanks for all the help;
Douglas R. Allen

Eric Snodgrass

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 02:15:09 PM »

Not my show or equipment. For them its a 1 off show. 2 people each have a desk and want to run them together. They were thinking of just using one as a side car. Using the L/R and Aux outs but I thought I'd ask here first if one could be used just to add channels to the other. Looks like the SLink is the way to go. Now they can try it ahead of time.  Of course if their show is still on due to the virus.

Thanks for all the help;
Douglas R. Allen

That makes sense.  The Tie Lines feature via the SLink port is the way to go.  Tell them to go to the Allen & Heath website, download the latest SQ Reference Guide and read it.  It will show them how to do it (even if the exercise is academic at this point). 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 02:15:09 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.