ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Panel Mounts and Strain Relief  (Read 2764 times)

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
Re: Panel Mounts and Strain Relief
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2020, 12:18:43 PM »

Penn Elcom has a number of pre-punched panels with the lacing bars/cable management built in. 

If you only really need it for one or two connectors, the Redco Audio option is nice, albeit a bit spendy for a single connector.  If you haven't already purchased the panels, the Penn Elcom option may be more cost effective.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2020, 02:42:52 PM »

Rear mount the connectors to ease assembly as well as future repairs or modifications.

I always rear-mount unless it's NL4.  You can't rear-mount with standard screws, they get in the way of the connector.  I always spec custom metalwork that's got NL4 going in to have counter-sunk screw holes and then I use the correct screws if I want to rear mount them.  Unfortunately off-the-shelf metal usually isn't counter sunk so you have to front-mount.

W. Mark Hellinger

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2020, 08:33:34 PM »

I always rear-mount
I front-mount commonly in conjunction with using colored label plates.  When front-mounting (and otherwise) I seek/use panel jacks that offer enough clearance in the jack body to add a length of shrink-tube on the jack body extending onto the cable to protect the termination area and offer some strain relief and still have the panel jack fit in the patchbay holes with that shrink tube on the jack body... as I'm somewhat commonly changing patchbay cables to suit equipment changes in the racks, and as I usually make the patchbay cable lengths to suit (without a wad of extra length) and would prefer to be able to change the cables without carving the shrink tube off the jack bodies.

Tony Szablowski

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2020, 02:33:22 PM »

Standard heat shrink that will fit over a D series size connector will not shrink small enough to grip a piece of audio cable unless you get high ratio shrink tube, it will insulate the exposed connections though. I been using the mentioned boots where needed.

You can use smaller diameter on the cable to beef it up, then use 3x shrink. I've done that with lots of cables and never had a problem, but the adhesive lined tubing works best when doubling to prevent the tubing from slipping.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2020, 02:33:22 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.