ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: StudioSix AudioTools sale  (Read 1114 times)

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: StudioSix AudioTools sale
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 06:45:20 pm »

Thanks Scott and Tim!  I'll watch some videos of the products and go from there.  I'm sure there's a lot of trial and error to getting useful measurements, which is why now is as good a time as ever to play around and learn this side of the trade.  Thanks again!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2020, 07:59:43 pm »

Thanks Scott and Tim!  I'll watch some videos of the products and go from there.  I'm sure there's a lot of trial and error to getting useful measurements, which is why now is as good a time as ever to play around and learn this side of the trade.  Thanks again!

And a reminder that we have an Audio Measurement and Testing forum that is uniquely focused on the topic.

Here's my bit - what dual channel FFT analyzers "do" show you is the *difference* in magnitude and phase (time) between 2 signals, derived from the impulse response of each signal.

Hint #1 - when aligning various sub-systems to each other, remember that you can only delay to the UPSTAGE.  You can't delay a later signal to match up with an earlier signal, only vice-versa; when measuring for alignment in situ it pays to measure from places where the sub-systems overlap in coverage, not necessarily from FOH or the middle of the room.

Hint #2 - before measuring, apply any voicing EQ or corrective EQ to the sub-systems.

Hint #3 - if you don't know what you're looking for when making a measurement, why measure?

Hint #4 - Use your ears and if they say it sounds worse or no better, figure out why the pretty phase & magnitude traces on the screen don't make for a pleasing sound.

"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • back home in Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2020, 08:44:12 pm »

Other than the Smaart tools module, which I already own, are there any other good modules worth buying?
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2020, 02:08:06 pm »

So along the lines of this product and others (Smaart, etc.), where's a good place to "jump in" and learn more about how to utilize apps like this for use in the field?  This has been a much needed area of education on my part and I'd like to use the downtime to become more proficient with how these tools can help me.  I've seen Smaart in use many times but always under the control of someone who knows what they're doing.  Which are the preferred tools to purchase for general use?  I do use the Apple ecosystem thanks to A&H, so iOS is fine.  Any advice is much appreciated!

Someone in the Audio Measurement forum mentioned a relatively new piece of free-and-open-source software called Open Sound Meter, which will make many of the same kinds of real-time measurements as Smaart (etc.). Most of what you'll learn while playing around with OSM should be directly applicable to using Smaart (etc.).

Typically, my advice for learning how to use this kind of software is to take the official Smaart training from Rational Acoustics (when that becomes an option again). It's an incredibly valuable three days of practical information, and the discount you'll get off of your first Smaart license will almost cover the cost of the course. Meyer Sound's system optimization courses are also very helpful (they'll be using SIM instead of Smaart, but both tools do roughly the same job).

If you want to learn more about what Smaart (etc.) does (more theoretical, less practical), the 224 page Smaart v8 User Guide is a great place to start.

As for equipment, you don't have break the bank. The audio interface you use basically doesn't matter for two-channel measurements (as long as the two channels perform about the same), and even cheap measurement microphones will get the job done for most of what we do in live sound.

-Russ

Michael Lawrence

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2020, 07:20:38 pm »

Typically, my advice for learning how to use this kind of software is to take the official Smaart training from Rational Acoustics (when that becomes an option again). It's an incredibly valuable three days of practical information, and the discount you'll get off of your first Smaart license will almost cover the cost of the course.

Good news, Russell: Jamie is hosting a series of live Smaart webinars (first one tomorrow @ 2 Eastern) that cover some basics in one-hour segments. Which knowing Jamie will probably end up being 90 minute segments. :D

First session will be here: https://youtu.be/UOubq22V258

Should be a fun time. Also, Jeff - I have a "starting from nothing" webinar on the fundamentals of audio analyzers here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0SlqSko7WA

As has been pointed out, these principles are platform agnostic so if you can understand one analyzer you can understand 'em all. (REW works completely differently under the hood than the real-time dual-channel platforms so it isn't quite the same, but it can produce most of the same data :) OpenSoundMeter is a nice free true dual-channel real-time rig. No creature comforts but it does the job.

Stay safe out there, all.

EDIT: for accuracy
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 08:43:58 am by Michael Lawrence »

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2020, 12:43:30 am »

Good news, Russell: Jamie is hosting a series of live Smaart webinars (first one tomorrow @ 2 Eastern) that cover basically the first day of the Smaart Operator Fundamentals class in one-hour segments. Which knowing Jamie will probably end up being 90 minute segments. :D

First session will be here: https://youtu.be/UOubq22V258

Should be a fun time. Also, Jeff - I have a "starting from nothing" webinar on the fundamentals of audio analyzers here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0SlqSko7WA

As has been pointed out, these principles are platform agnostic so if you can understand one analyzer you can understand 'em all. (REW works completely differently under the hood than the real-time dual-channel platforms so it isn't quite the same, but it can produce most of the same data :) OpenSoundMeter is a nice free true dual-channel real-time rig. No creature comforts but it does the job.

Stay safe out there, all.

Michael that is so generous of Rational and all the other folks offering training.

These are incredible opportunities for professional learning.  Making the best of a bad situation.

Rational is giving away a product which has to be a substantial part of theor revenue model.  This is most generous and makes them the best vendor partners/corporate citizens.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2020, 05:57:56 am »

I second that.  It really speaks volumes to the integrity of these companies to be giving their products away for free to help the industry as a whole.  Michael, thank you again for doing this and I'll definitely be sure to tune in and check out the link you provided.  I really appreciate it!  Thanks for the input as well Tim and Russell - definitely some good resources for me to check out over the upcoming weekends.   

Michael Lawrence

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2020, 08:40:49 am »

Thanks guys - they're still hashing out the details in terms of the scope of what will be covered, so don't quote me on anything, but at any rate it will be a great opportunity for folks to gain some knowledge.

Stay safe everyone.

John Schalk

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2020, 09:20:47 am »

If I understand the sale correctly, the basic package (see screen shot) is now $10, or 50% off of the normal price.  Is that correct?  Can I install the app on multiple iOS devices for that price?

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2020, 09:26:29 am »

If I understand the sale correctly, the basic package (see screen shot) is now $10, or 50% off of the normal price.  Is that correct?  Can I install the app on multiple iOS devices for that price?

Yes, you can install it on multiple devices provided you log in to the app store with the same apple ID.   You can always log out of that apple ID, but you wont be able to update the app without re logging into the old ID.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2020, 09:26:29 am »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 23 queries.