ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Low latency streaming? Camera switching, etc.  (Read 5922 times)

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
Re: Low latency streaming? Camera switching, etc.
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2020, 12:17:09 PM »

As a quick experiment, I just pinged my parent's place across town. Average round-trip time was ~150ms

Speedtest.net tells me 15 ms from southern Vermont to Boston, and I'm on cable, not even fiber. Seems workable.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2020, 01:16:08 PM »

Someone in another audio community posted a link to a piece of FOSS developed at Stanford over a decade ago that might be worth investigating called JackTrip.

Maybe for local players. I used JackTrip several times to do jazz concerts with players in California and Massachusetts. All were on very high bandwidth networks purpose installed by their colleges. We were sending 8 or 10 channels between 3 or 4 locations. Asynchronous video, as well. Drone pieces were workable, but synced rhythmic pieces were absolutely not. If I'm doing my math right, 3k miles divided by 186k miles/second is 16 ms each way, for an absolute minimum of 32 ms. That's without any system latency from the network, or the audio interface, or processing.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2020, 02:57:07 PM »

Maybe for local players. [...]

Oh, to be sure, but as you (and Brian, and several others on this thread) have pointed out, if the players aren't local then you're going to have to buy one of my patent-pending negative delay boxes (check out my IndieGoFundStarter!) regardless of which software you're using. ;D

-Russ

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2020, 01:59:25 PM »

The big challenge I have is very few players I know are tech savvy enough to set up JackTrip, Jam Kazam, or anything similar. Heck, I'd be happy if more of them were halfway confident with home recording so we could exchange wave files.

Russ - my new software startup "Negative Entropy" has patent pending non causal technology that achieves negative delay without hardware. Mix and publish an entire session BEFORE it even happens!   ;D

Les Kanekuni

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2020, 08:04:15 PM »

Hello Everyone,

I'm here in the SF Bay area on mandatory lock down, teaching guitar students via Zoom, Skype, working on studio projects and trying to figure out what else I can do. One of the issues with video chat apps is latency - it really isn't possible to "play along" with a student (or fellow musician) this way. Not only is that a limitation for teaching, it also presents challenges for "virtual concerts" since out here we can't even (legally) get together in a living room to stream the band. Are there any reasonably affordable solutions to the latency issue anyone can recommend?

And while we are on the subject of streaming....I just stumbled across the Roland VR-1HD, which seems like a nice little solution for controlling a few cameras plus an audio feed to your streaming app. But it seems mostly targeted at gamers.  Any other simple solutions out there for taking a few cameras plus a console feed and sending it over USB?

The problem with playing "live" along with too-long latency is latency variation.  Because everyone is in a different location, everyone's latency is going to be different.  So impossible to play in time. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2020, 08:04:15 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.