ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Midas Pro 2 Router Issue  (Read 3218 times)

Bo Mills

• Bo Mills
Midas Pro 2 Router Issue
« on: March 15, 2020, 03:12:43 PM »

We have a Midas Pro 2 Mixer, Crestron, Broadcasting, Cameras, etc. We have a low end Belkin N450 Wireless Router that connects all things audio and video.  It handles everything seamlessly.  Recently, I tried to replace the low-end N450 (slower ports) with a higher end Netgear Router with Gigabit ports.  With devices turned on, everything goes well until you turn on the Midas Pro 2 board.  The router activity light flashes like it is slammed with traffic and all other devices on network can't communicate or get to the internet.  When I turn off Pro 2 Board, light slows and everything works normally.  I asked installer if there was any special coding or configs involved in the Belkin router and he was not aware of any.  I mimicked DHCP ranges and the like to new router.  I used the same IP addressing.  Anyone have any ideas as to why the Pro 2 would cause so much traffic on the new router and not the other. (Note: the Midas board does not show up on Belkin router's IP list until you start the Remote server and it provides an IP for remote operation - my answer my lie there but i might need some translation as to why). Thanks for any insights you have.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
Re: Midas Pro 2 Router Issue
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 03:24:53 PM »

We have a Midas Pro 2 Mixer, Crestron, Broadcasting, Cameras, etc. We have a low end Belkin N450 Wireless Router that connects all things audio and video.  It handles everything seamlessly.  Recently, I tried to replace the low-end N450 (slower ports) with a higher end Netgear Router with Gigabit ports.  With devices turned on, everything goes well until you turn on the Midas Pro 2 board.  The router activity light flashes like it is slammed with traffic and all other devices on network can't communicate or get to the internet.  When I turn off Pro 2 Board, light slows and everything works normally.  I asked installer if there was any special coding or configs involved in the Belkin router and he was not aware of any.  I mimicked DHCP ranges and the like to new router.  I used the same IP addressing.  Anyone have any ideas as to why the Pro 2 would cause so much traffic on the new router and not the other. (Note: the Midas board does not show up on Belkin router's IP list until you start the Remote server and it provides an IP for remote operation - my answer my lie there but i might need some translation as to why). Thanks for any insights you have.

Huh, well, what you're describe sounds a heck of a lot like a broadcast storm. I'm not sure, sitting here, why turning on the console would cause a broadcast storm, but that's what it sounds like.

Two things that would help us troubleshoot:
  • Can you create and post a diagram of your entire network (i.e. ever cable from every device)?
  • With that diagram, can you include the model numbers of any networking gear involved?

In the meantime, the first thing I'd try is swapping out the cable from the Pro2 to the router. 100Mbit Ethernet only uses two pairs in a a Category cable, whereas Gigabit uses all four, so it's possible to have cables that work perfect at 100Mbit speeds but that cause problems at Gigabit speeds.

-Russ

-Russ

Bo Mills

• Bo Mills
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 01:52:43 PM »

Russ,

Update:  I have swapped a couple of ethernet cables (cat 6 put in).  Router is allowing internet traffic through but is still slow and shows a 5-15 download compared to a 100-200 download when Pro 2 is off.

Interesting discovery: When Pro 2 turns on and starts booting up, the lights on router go crazy and stay that way while Pro 2 is on.  I can turn on the remote sharing setting, it grabs an IP, then lights show little traffic and Speedtests are back to normal.  Turn the remote sharing off, traffic back to a frenzy.

Is the board pinging or searching for an IP address constantly when remote server is off? Or something to that effect?

I know you asked for a network map, but this seems to reveal a lot before getting into that.

Bo

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 02:38:11 PM »

Interesting discovery: When Pro 2 turns on and starts booting up, the lights on router go crazy and stay that way while Pro 2 is on.  I can turn on the remote sharing setting, it grabs an IP, then lights show little traffic and Speedtests are back to normal.  Turn the remote sharing off, traffic back to a frenzy.

Is the board pinging or searching for an IP address constantly when remote server is off? Or something to that effect?

That's definitely interesting, and seems odd to me, too. I'm not a Pro2 guy, but if I were you I'd consider calling Midas support and see what they have to say, because this definitely sounds like console weirdness instead of network weirdness.

-Russ

Brian Hancock

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 02:21:09 AM »

Just to clear up the basics ... you are plugged into ethernet control port on the pro 2 correct, and not just any port ... as the aes50 ports will show to network gear just like you describe a broadcast storm and will saturate your network to the point of uselessness. While aes50 is built on a network framework it is not switchable in standard off the shelf network gear.

Yes a diagram of connectivity would be helpful ... we try and leave all show specific stuff on static ip address and not connected to the internet ... there is no reason a pro 2 would need connectivity beyond local that Ican think of
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 08:35:48 AM by Brian Hancock »

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2020, 03:28:08 AM »

If you don't come right capture a minute or two of the data coming out of the desk with wireshark (desk plugged straight into laptop running wireshark) and post a link to the dump here. Scott, myself and possibly a few other people on these forums will be able to let you know if anything weird is happening there.

If Russel is correct about it being a broadcast storm you should also do the same with the desk connected to the router and the laptop connected to the router, only capture a little bit, if it is a broadcast storm the file will get massive pretty quickly.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2020, 04:14:16 AM »

If you don't come right capture a minute or two of the data coming out of the desk with wireshark (desk plugged straight into laptop running wireshark) and post a link to the dump here. Scott, myself and possibly a few other people on these forums will be able to let you know if anything weird is happening there.

If Russel is correct about it being a broadcast storm you should also do the same with the desk connected to the router and the laptop connected to the router, only capture a little bit, if it is a broadcast storm the file will get massive pretty quickly.

Sure, if you grab a Wireshark trace I will be glad to take a look. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2020, 04:14:16 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.