ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mic cable picking-up handling noise?  (Read 2737 times)

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
Re: Mic cable picking-up handling noise?
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2020, 03:16:53 PM »

Checked all of the XLR mounting screws on the stage box and Mixrack - they were all good/tight.

Made the dummy mic cable (150-ohm, 1/4-watt resistor soldered across pins 2&3 of a cable end) and I'll be dadgummed - the handling noise goes away. Cables are totally silent. I learned something super awesome thanks to all of you - thank you very much for the info!

I'm relieved to know the A&H rig is "fine" but still somewhat baffled that the M32 doesn't pick up the same noise (and even odder, that my MR18 does). Oh well. Stranger things can (and are) happen(ing).

Thanks again everyone - I really appreciate the insights and help with solving my quandary.

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2020, 05:16:15 PM »

Checked all of the XLR mounting screws on the stage box and Mixrack - they were all good/tight.

Made the dummy mic cable (150-ohm, 1/4-watt resistor soldered across pins 2&3 of a cable end) and I'll be dadgummed - the handling noise goes away. Cables are totally silent. I learned something super awesome thanks to all of you - thank you very much for the info!

I'm relieved to know the A&H rig is "fine" but still somewhat baffled that the M32 doesn't pick up the same noise (and even odder, that my MR18 does). Oh well. Stranger things can (and are) happen(ing).

Thanks again everyone - I really appreciate the insights and help with solving my quandary.

Good to hear this but not surprised. I felt the same as you when it happened to me, and also the same when I figured out that termination was the key.

Regarding the M32, could it have had its Routing in a different configuration than you thought? All mixers should behave the same way with this issue, as it has to do with the cable construction and not the preamp technology.

That's why if it hurts when you do this thing the solving advice is literally not to do that thing. Funny, but still true for non-medical issues. Much less funny for those, though.

You also don't turn a mic gain screaming loud through the PA and then drop it down the speaker horn throat. That will hurt, too.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2020, 07:39:49 PM »

What brand and model mic cables do you use?
More importantly what is make and model of the wire itself.

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2020, 09:19:17 PM »

What brand and model mic cables do you use?
More importantly what is make and model of the wire itself.

I’m not loyal to any one kind... RapcoHorizon, Whirlwind, EliteCore, ProCo, Perseus, Mogami... they all did it until I threw on the resistor. No idea of the wire brand.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2020, 09:19:17 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.