ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: FBT VN2000 or RCF HD10a + 702ASII?  (Read 7092 times)

Richard Penrose

FBT VN2000 or RCF HD10a + 702ASII?
« on: March 13, 2020, 04:18:52 PM »

Hi,

I heard a quick demo of the FBT VN2000 in a showroom today and have to say this tiny system really exceeded my expectations!
At the moment I’ve been just using a single pair of Yamaha DXR15’s which have been working out surprisingly well but I no longer want to be lifting speakers weighing nearly 23kg onto stands anymore.
I would like something that can at least match the output the DXR15’s but preferably go a fraction louder with greater depth of bass. I also want something much lighter to be lifting onto stands.
From what I briefly heard from the VN2000 today I would expect this system to tick all those boxes. However, I’ve also heard good things about the RCF HD10a/702ASII system and am pretty torn between the two. Unfortunately I’m not going to be able to do a side by side comparison of both systems so am pretty torn with what to do?
I can get an ex-demo VN2000 system for around £2400 or which is over £800 off new price. Or I can get the RCF HD10a/702asII system brand new for £2200.

I plan on using this system for live music to tun 4-5 vocals, keys, bass, guitar and a small amount of miked drums.

What are your thoughts/recommendations on the FBT VN2000 and the RCF HD10’a + 702asII?

Heath Eldridge

Re: FBT VN2000 or RCF HD10a + 702ASII?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2020, 06:14:19 AM »

You won’t regret the RCF system. Can’t tell you anything about the FBT.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 03:13:29 PM »

Thanks. I’ve spoken to a couple of people who own both and they’ve said the FBT VN2000 has a little more clarity and output. Also the RCF 702ASII sub has higher port noise than the FBT Subline 112a?

Sean Zurbrick

• My band
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2020, 01:05:45 PM »

I own a pair of those subs and run them over RCF 310A's for the occasional small show. The setup does fine, but there is a significant consideration that may decide it for you. The RCF subs are so small and light that they do not make a very stable base for speakers of any significant size. I barely feel comfortable using the 310A's with my poles at the lowest pole setting, which isn't tall enough.

FBT subs are 7-8 lbs heavier and 3" wider at 17" vs the 14" width of the RCF. This makes the base more stable. I also noticed the voice coil of the FBT is 3" vs the 2.5" of the RCF. The FBT also has a higher published peak SPL by 4 dB.

As much as possible I center cluster my RCF 702AS-II subs. The good thing about being small is they can cluster easily, even when put on the floor on a non-raised performance area. When on their side, they are barely taller than the monitors. Which ever you go with, I'd center them as much as possible as it really does help the output and keeps the SPL more consistent throughout most venues than pole mounting.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 06:20:51 PM »

I’ve been speaking to a few more people who have used both the FBT and RCF systems and they preferred the FBT VN2000. Similar experiences where they find the FBT has a little more output and vocal clarity.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 05:52:30 AM »

I own a pair of those subs and run them over RCF 310A's for the occasional small show. The setup does fine, but there is a significant consideration that may decide it for you. The RCF subs are so small and light that they do not make a very stable base for speakers of any significant size. I barely feel comfortable using the 310A's with my poles at the lowest pole setting, which isn't tall enough.

FBT subs are 7-8 lbs heavier and 3" wider at 17" vs the 14" width of the RCF. This makes the base more stable. I also noticed the voice coil of the FBT is 3" vs the 2.5" of the RCF. The FBT also has a higher published peak SPL by 4 dB.

As much as possible I center cluster my RCF 702AS-II subs. The good thing about being small is they can cluster easily, even when put on the floor on a non-raised performance area. When on their side, they are barely taller than the monitors. Which ever you go with, I'd center them as much as possible as it really does help the output and keeps the SPL more consistent throughout most venues than pole mounting.

This is a very good point. Those RCF subs do look quite thin and tall and very light. I think I would be quite nervous using those as the HD10a tops are as wide as the subs and could topple over if someone bumped into them!? I’ve added a photos below to show this. The FBT system does look more stable.

Has anyone else on here had any experience with these systems? I’m particularly keen to hear from anyone who has used the FBT VN2000 for live music?

Lev Raber

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 11:00:16 AM »

Has anyone else on here had any experience with these systems? I’m particularly keen to hear from anyone who has used VNT VN2000 for live music?
[/quote]

I'm a long time RCF and FBT user, probably since the first time FBT appeared on US market.  I still think Maxx4a cabinet is the best sounding 12"+1" speaker I used to have in my inventory. Very good B&C drivers with excellent amps inside.
Same standard goes for everything else FBT produced later on.

Regarding VN2000, I had a chance to listen to the system (it's Ventis 206A top with 112SA sub) and to my taste it was a bit "lightweight". Probably good enough for not aggressive DJ material or acoustic trio.
On other hand, Vertus CLA 206a over 118SA sub was a areal winner with overall better power and SPL. A bit larger than VN2000 system, but Vertus Line is a beast in very low profile format. Of course, it's not cheap.

I'm not sure what kind of material you plan to use it for, but if it is a basic band with drums, gtrs, keys and vocals, VN2000 won't be sufficient.
Plan ahead for future use requiring more power with more coverage for more people. I always do. 

Richard Penrose

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2020, 12:27:09 PM »

Has anyone else on here had any experience with these systems? I’m particularly keen to hear from anyone who has used VNT VN2000 for live music?

I'm a long time RCF and FBT user, probably since the first time FBT appeared on US market.  I still think Maxx4a cabinet is the best sounding 12"+1" speaker I used to have in my inventory. Very good B&C drivers with excellent amps inside.
Same standard goes for everything else FBT produced later on.

Regarding VN2000, I had a chance to listen to the system (it's Ventis 206A top with 112SA sub) and to my taste it was a bit "lightweight". Probably good enough for not aggressive DJ material or acoustic trio.
On other hand, Vertus CLA 206a over 118SA sub was a areal winner with overall better power and SPL. A bit larger than VN2000 system, but Vertus Line is a beast in very low profile format. Of course, it's not cheap.

I'm not sure what kind of material you plan to use it for, but if it is a basic band with drums, gtrs, keys and vocals, VN2000 won't be sufficient.
Plan ahead for future use requiring more power with more coverage for more people. I always do.

Thanks. I’ve been using a single pair of DXR15’s for this. I’m surprised to hear the VN2000 won’t be sufficient compared to the DXR15’s?
I already own a pair of QSC KW181 subs but haven’t used them for almost a year and a half as Im scaling down the jobs I’m doing and I’m not intending to lug around 18” subs anymore.
Most of the time I’m just running vocals, bass, keys and kick drum through the system. There are a couple of occasions where I may run a fully miked kit as a bit of reinforcement an not to have a massive pumping drum sound for large crowds.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2020, 12:50:08 PM »

Thanks. I’ve been using a single pair of DXR15’s for this. I’m surprised to hear the VN2000 won’t be sufficient compared to the DXR15’s?
I already own a pair of QSC KW181 subs but haven’t used them for almost a year and a half as Im scaling down the jobs I’m doing and I’m not intending to lug around 18” subs anymore.
Most of the time I’m just running vocals, bass, keys and kick drum through the system. There are a couple of occasions where I may run a fully miked kit as a bit of reinforcement an not to have a massive pumping drum sound for large crowds.

Where are you Richard?   We are in CLE and can get you a demo of any of the FBT stuff.  Very familiar with the CLA, and it is sounds great at a price point similar to the DZR's.  The VN2000's I have not heard. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Richard Penrose

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2020, 04:01:31 PM »

Where are you Richard?   We are in CLE and can get you a demo of any of the FBT stuff.  Very familiar with the CLA, and it is sounds great at a price point similar to the DZR's.  The VN2000's I have not heard.

Hi Scott,

I'm in the UK. Thanks for the offer though!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2020, 04:01:31 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.