ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha LS9 and Dante Audinate MY16 clocking issues  (Read 308 times)

chris broadway

Yamaha LS9 and Dante Audinate MY16 clocking issues
« on: March 10, 2020, 11:35:14 am »

A few years ago I had this setup working well.  I have a Yamaha LS9, Dante MY16 card in slot 2 (slot 1 used for Aviom), Danter contoller and virtual soundcard on mac.  I "redid" everything and now having trouble figuring out how I got it to work before.  I have read all the information on the Audinate website about clocking.  Here is what I think I am seeing.  When I have my clocking set as the yamaha internal clock, I have a synchronization error seen on the dante controller.  When I change the clock to the MY16 Dante card in slot 2 (15/16 specifically) it works.  However, if I do not have my MAC turned on for whatever reason, after awhile my yamaha resets (all audio goes out for 20 seconds) and I then see a wrong clock source error.  Has anyone seen this behavior before?  Can anyone let me know how they have this set up and I'll mimic them?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Yamaha LS9 and Dante Audinate MY16 clocking issues
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 11:53:45 am »

A few years ago I had this setup working well.  I have a Yamaha LS9, Dante MY16 card in slot 2 (slot 1 used for Aviom), Danter contoller and virtual soundcard on mac.  I "redid" everything and now having trouble figuring out how I got it to work before.  I have read all the information on the Audinate website about clocking.  Here is what I think I am seeing.  When I have my clocking set as the yamaha internal clock, I have a synchronization error seen on the dante controller.  When I change the clock to the MY16 Dante card in slot 2 (15/16 specifically) it works.  However, if I do not have my MAC turned on for whatever reason, after awhile my yamaha resets (all audio goes out for 20 seconds) and I then see a wrong clock source error.  Has anyone seen this behavior before?  Can anyone let me know how they have this set up and I'll mimic them?

The Dante card on an LS9-32 should be in slot 1 according to the manual.

Mac

Scott Helmke

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 12:11:46 pm »

I think the card needs to be in slot 1, but just for head amp control.

If it's just your Mac and the Dante card, then it's likely that the card isn't able to run a reliable clock on its own.  Most people would have a Dante card so they can use a Rio stage box.  If you look in Dante Controller, who's the clock master?  Is anybody set to be Preferred Master?

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 03:52:11 pm »

If it's just your Mac and the Dante card, then it's likely that the card isn't able to run a reliable clock on its own.  Most people would have a Dante card so they can use a Rio stage box.  If you look in Dante Controller, who's the clock master?  Is anybody set to be Preferred Master?

If he's using VSC (and not Via) then the card has to be the master clock (since VSC isn't capable of fulfilling that roll).

-Russ

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 10:56:33 pm »

I'm not positive this is your issue but...

I would set the console to 48K internal clock.  In Dante Controller, set the Console Dante card to the Preferred Clock master and check the "external Clock" selection beside the preferred Master check box.

So what you've got then is the Card is clocked to the console and the Dante network [and thus DVS] is clocked to the card.  That should work properly.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
bdmaudio@gmail.com

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Phillip Ivan Pietruschka

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 03:21:16 am »

Iím pretty sure Brianís advice will sort you out.

That is the clocking configuration I use (slave to external, preferred master) on a non-Yamaha device that keeps our Dante network in sync with our broadcast systems which are still based around bi and trilevel analog sync.

It sounds like you have may have a direct patch between Dante card and Mac. Is this correct? You may find the current setup more stable if there is a switch in between. Even so, Brianís advice is the better one for this scenario.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 07:13:52 am by Phillip Ivan Pietruschka »

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 06:25:23 pm »

On my LS9-32 I have 2 Dante cards installed. The one in slot1 is set as preferred clock master. The desk is set up to get its clock from slot1. This has been reliable for years.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

¬ę Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 06:25:23 pm ¬Ľ

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 24 queries.