ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Strymon Timeline Live Vocal Delay  (Read 4347 times)

Jesse Free

Re: Strymon Timeline Live Vocal Delay
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2019, 02:58:31 AM »

It should work, but the inputs and outputs are certainly not balanced, and may not need to be.  If the engineer is so busy that a foot pedal format is needed, then this might be a good choice.  When I'm mixing and I so busy I can't get to my rack effects, I'm usually too busy to have to look down and futz with floor pedals, but that me.  If Jesse is performing in the group AND providing effects to the mix, this may be the best solution to his problem.  To each his own!

It's more having it instantly tweakable/controllable and under-hand (in this case), somewhere on or close to the desk.

Jesse Free

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2019, 03:00:46 AM »

Why not buy a proper delay if thats what you're after?  TC electronic D2's can be had for the money you're talking if you look hard enough and were the defacto standard in the end of the Analog days.  I still have one and have it in a small guest FOH rack I use when I'm not touring.  Personally I feel you'd be best building yourself something similar with a few lifesavers in a 3 or 4 space rack and the cables necessary to make it happen with any console.  I find a good comp, delay and verb, ad eq is a welcome thing to have with me.  Mine has a D2, a PCM91, a Distressor, and an LM44.  I can do a lot with those few tools on a walk in gig with a system that may not be up to par. 

Anyway, I realize I may be giving more advice than asked for but I think you'd be happier and have a much easier time connecting a D2 to a rig de jour than trying to make a pedal work consistently. 

JF

I do carry a rack with me that currently also has a Distressor and an M1 (big fan of the D2 and 91, too). The thought process with the pedal is being able to throw it in a backpack and rest it on or next to the console while having most features controllable with knobs at all times.

Jesse Free

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2019, 03:02:40 AM »

Sorry if I'm responding the wrong way, I'm new to the forum.

Thank you for all the feedback (gain) so far. Much appreciated!

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2019, 05:17:15 PM »

I do carry a rack with me that currently also has a Distressor and an M1 (big fan of the D2 and 91, too). The thought process with the pedal is being able to throw it in a backpack and rest it on or next to the console while having most features controllable with knobs at all times.

Jesse, point well taken.  The number two rule in sound reinforcement is: If it works for you, do it!  The number one rule (which doesn't really apply here) is: You can't defeat the laws of physics.

Jesse Free

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2019, 04:28:51 PM »

Jesse, point well taken.  The number two rule in sound reinforcement is: If it works for you, do it!  The number one rule (which doesn't really apply here) is: You can't defeat the laws of physics.

No, but we can attempt to bend them!  ;D

Mal Brown

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2019, 09:06:35 PM »

This is sort of a lounge thing but... I've been thinking of adding an external delay to my ui -24 rig for band use.  The ui 24 is not midi controllable.  whem mixing from stage I'd like to be able to turn it on/off with my feet.  was thinking about an mx-400 / D2 / M1 etc with a basic midi stomp.  Disaster Area Designs, Soleman Etc...  The Timeline just might address that in a one box solution...

If you do this, I'd love to hear how it goes.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Jesse Free

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2020, 03:54:15 AM »

This is sort of a lounge thing but... I've been thinking of adding an external delay to my ui -24 rig for band use.  The ui 24 is not midi controllable.  whem mixing from stage I'd like to be able to turn it on/off with my feet.  was thinking about an mx-400 / D2 / M1 etc with a basic midi stomp.  Disaster Area Designs, Soleman Etc...  The Timeline just might address that in a one box solution...

If you do this, I'd love to hear how it goes.

Hey Mal (and any others following this thread), sorry for the delay in updates. The Timeline ended up selling before I made my decision, so I ended up moving on. On a related (but not completely) note, I ended up picking up a D2 recently which I'm a fan of, but still doesn't quite have the footprint I was looking for in the Timeline. I may end up grabbing one someday, if the price is right.

In regards to your question about having a foot-controllable unit to use while also playing, I think either of the rack-mount units could do what you want with some programming, but the Timeline is probably a better bet since you inherently have more foot-controllable parameters (on/off and tap control, most importantly).

Mal Brown

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2020, 10:49:12 AM »

I ended going with a Source Audio Nemesis delay.  Aux out using XLR to TS and return via 1/4 to a combo jack.  Seems to work well.   Due to Corona cancellations And that I am in social distancing mode, I have not had it out on a gig yet.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2020, 10:49:12 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 23 queries.