ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which pulpit mic should I get?  (Read 493 times)

Bill Jones

Which pulpit mic should I get?
« on: March 08, 2020, 04:20:00 pm »

Our church just had a pulpit mic die.  The dead mic was an Audix M1250. I would like to replace it with something similar, but not quite as expensive. Two suggestions were Audio Technica U859QL and Shure MX412S/C.
Anybody have any experience with either of these, or is there another one?

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: Which pulpit mic should I get?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 12:11:31 am »

Our church just had a pulpit mic die.  The dead mic was an Audix M1250. I would like to replace it with something similar, but not quite as expensive. Two suggestions were Audio Technica U859QL and Shure MX412S/C.

Look at the Countryman Isomax RF4 or the A3.

On your mic have you ruled out any cable or connector issues?
I have to ask, is the phantom power turned on?

Bill Jones

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 01:11:33 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion.  The phantom power is turned on.  I did not take the mic apart, but did inspect it for any wear and tear. I am told the mic is quite old and that it's time to replace rather than repair it. We are also looking at replacing some of the XLR cables as they are 20 years old (so I am told).

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 04:37:51 pm »

For the sake of testing....

Take another mic that you know works,something simple and dynamic, think SM58 and plug it into the same cable where the pulpit mic plugged in and see if that works.

If so take another condenser mic that needs phantom power and plug it in and see if it works. 

If either or both of those test fail take the mic and plug it directly into the mixer channel that it is normally on.

Next try plugging it in to another channel on the mixer that is known to work.

Caleb Dueck

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 12:21:08 pm »

That Audix isn't exactly expensive to begin with, I'd question the drive to shave off, what, 0.01% of the price of the audio system for the most important input. 

What about changes in pickup pattern, feedback, tonality, etc?  If the old mic worked well, and it's a good mic - why change?  If you are going to change - it implies a higher cost outlay rather than lower - to test a few mics in-house ($$) and then pick the one that works best. 

I do know Audix had issues with some of their early M-series mics, that were fixed early on. 
How much does Audix charge to repair a mic, if that one is repairable? 

I have used all the above mics, but not in a comparison.  One of my friends did a larger comparison and recorded them all, no EQ, which was great.  They were all better (higher-$$) mics, the Audix model listed was the lowest priced.  Generally A-T and Shure mics like the above were chosen for projects where cost was more important than performance; when performance was important, than the better Audix or Countryman or DPA were chosen. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Wesley Key

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 09:11:18 am »

That Audix isn't exactly expensive to begin with,

I run my audio room on about $500 per year budget.  A $550 mic is expensive by comparison.  That said, a cheap one may only last half the life of a good one.  Choose wisely.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 09:11:18 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 23 queries.