ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: QSC TouchMix Recording Issues  (Read 3246 times)

Rob Swain

QSC TouchMix Recording Issues
« on: January 20, 2020, 01:42:33 PM »

We are using the touch mix for recording speech one of the issues I am having with it is that the recorded volume is not very loud I have the track set to pre-fader and I am wondering what exactly makes a difference in the output record of volume. To get any useable volume out of the recording I need to run it through ProTools to amplify it what settings do I need to use in the touchmix to increase the volume.

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
Re: QSC TouchMix Recording Issues
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 01:48:47 PM »

Look for the normalize setting in Pro Tools that should help
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 02:16:52 PM »

We are using the touch mix for recording speech one of the issues I am having with it is that the recorded volume is not very loud I have the track set to pre-fader and I am wondering what exactly makes a difference in the output record of volume. To get any useable volume out of the recording I need to run it through ProTools to amplify it what settings do I need to use in the touchmix to increase the volume.

In order to get a "broadcast ready" recording, you'll need to compress it heavily. If the TouchMix allows you to record buses, routing it to a bus with heavy compression, gain, and limiting will allow you to get a loud recording without clipping and without affecting the live mix.

Otherwise, if it's just one channel, I'd route the input to a 2nd "record" input channel that doesn't get sent to your live mix. Then you can mess with it all you want. Just remember to keep that channel clearly marked.

Rob Swain

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 02:26:20 PM »

In order to get a "broadcast ready" recording, you'll need to compress it heavily. If the TouchMix allows you to record buses, routing it to a bus with heavy compression, gain, and limiting will allow you to get a loud recording without clipping and without affecting the live mix.

Otherwise, if it's just one channel, I'd route the input to a 2nd "record" input channel that doesn't get sent to your live mix. Then you can mess with it all you want. Just remember to keep that channel clearly marked.

Thanks Corey  I will experiment with it 🤔😊

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 10:05:58 AM »

Recording on the TouchMix desks is usually picked off just after the signal has been converted to digital.

ie, if you've set your analogue trims for 20dB of headroom, then your recordings will peak at -20dBFS.

That's not a problem in itself, until you want to export the audio to use elsewhere. I tend to keep the recordings within the desk, mix them down there (including comps/limiters on the mix output that feeds to the recorded stereo mix). After that, all I need to do is normalise for 0dBFS peaks, and the track is ready for distribution.

If you're using a DAW, you'll probably find the levels are quite low - you probably want every input to hit 0dBFS at least once. That's at cross-purposes to live audio, though, where we want to maintain headroom.

The SNR of the TM desks is pretty good, so it's safe to boost the levels once they've hit the DAW. I actually use Audacity to get the nominal levels up, but if you're doing something more complex, I can see why you'd rather use something nicer.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 10:05:58 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.