ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: audio over cat 5/6 4 channel breakout boxes from Radial, Whirlwimd, etc  (Read 2184 times)

Mal Brown

I'm thinking about adding a 4 channel set into my PC based FOH position where there is no audio.  I would use it for
  • Talk Back
  • Solo monitor return
  • 2 channels don't playback, iphone off an AV Pro DI

Anyone tried similar?  Is there a difference in sound quality between say Radial and an off brand ?

Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber

I'm thinking about adding a 4 channel set into my PC based FOH position where there is no audio.  I would use it for
  • Talk Back
  • Solo monitor return
  • 2 channels don't playback, iphone off an AV Pro DI

Anyone tried similar?  Is there a difference in sound quality between say Radial and an off brand ?

It's just connectors, why would there be any difference? All of the devices that do this are just breaking out the 4 twisted pairs in a Cat5 or better to 4 XLR connector on pin 2 and 3. If you use shielded category cable it might be connected to pin 1, but for line level signals all you need is the twisted pair.

Mac

John P. Farrell

It's just connectors, why would there be any difference? All of the devices that do this are just breaking out the 4 twisted pairs in a Cat5 or better to 4 XLR connector on pin 2 and 3. If you use shielded category cable it might be connected to pin 1, but for line level signals all you need is the twisted pair.

Mac

Exactly.  The only difference between Whirlwind/Radial and the amazon specials are build quality and feature set.  Assuming the wiring is correct none of them will sound any different.

JF
FOH/PM Blackberry Smoke

James Paul

Besides any price differential between any or all, I would point to the connectors as the primary difference. Most likely genuine Neutrik versus clones.
My $.02, Pro daily use warrants Neutrik, otherwise the clones serve just as well in my low demand and abuse toolkit. That said, I did roll my own  Elite Core cat5e STP cables with Neutrik Ethercons.

Mal Brown

Cat 5 or Cat 6 for 100 to 150 foot runs?
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio

Doesn't matter one bit.   If you want the Pin1s connected, you will need shielded cable.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!

Add a zero, still doesn't matter.  It's analog twisted pair wire.  Line level balanced analog signals are pretty forgiving of distance as well as wire type.  That's essentially how telephones used to work.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's

I made my own set for about $40 with stuff you can find on eBay. Thomann just released a set that sells for about $35! They are robbing you when they sell them for more than about $50. It is literally a 1:1 connection of all the connections in an RJ45 to an XLR. The ground is created by the shield and is shared among all 4 possible channels. In theory, you don't even need a box to convert things. You could just take a cat 5 cable and throw xlr connections on each end and use another wire that binds to the shield to go to each xlr end for ground. charging $100 + for each end is a criminal sin and is simply banking on people's lack of knowledge of what it is and how to do it.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Mal Brown

My plan has been to mix 3 channels of mic level send and 1 of line level return.  How well do these devices handle cross talk ?
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services

My plan has been to mix 3 channels of mic level send and 1 of line level return.  How well do these devices handle cross talk ?

The twisted pairs reject adjacent signals.

Cat5 vs cat6 only matters for data.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 24 queries.