ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aiming Movers  (Read 14298 times)

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
Re: Aiming Movers
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2020, 08:00:20 PM »

For those following along at home, the LightShark products are no longer distributed by Blizzard in North America.  They now use Etnia Pro for the USA and between Europe and USA they are promising 24-hour support. 

Info from a post to the Lightshark users group on Facebook, dated March 16th 2020.

New firmware with an updated FX Engine was due to release early 2020, but has been postponed to late 2020 (as of about 3 weeks ago).

I don't sell, or work for, LightShark, just wanted to keep the information up to date in this thread.
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2020, 08:13:43 PM »

I don't have particularly good news.  Our LS-1 arrived DOA.  We are a Blizzard dealer and it came from them.  Blizzard could not send a replacement and informed us they are not selling them anymore.

I find it somewhat good luck because after all the discussion here the LS-1 doesn't have focus palettes so if you are going to do movers getting them focused is going to be the same workflow I was stuck with in the Chauvet Showxpress. 

Are you sure?  Granted, I don't own movers so I can't test it, but there are user programmable palettes available for each fixture and you can see up to 25 simultaneously on the palettes screen.  The LS-1 manual covers in detail how to make them or edit them for gobos, colours, intensity etc.  The manual doesn't specifically go through the steps on saving a focus palette but I don't have a reason to doubt that it's possible in the way the information reads to me.

I've created colour, intensity and FX palettes for my wash LED's and it works as intended, so I assumed focus palettes would be the same otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned the LS-1 in a thread titled "aiming movers".

Hopefully you can get your hands on a working demo one and confirm that before writing it off from your shortlist.   
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2020, 01:35:33 PM »

Are you sure?  Granted, I don't own movers so I can't test it, but there are user programmable palettes available for each fixture and you can see up to 25 simultaneously on the palettes screen.  The LS-1 manual covers in detail how to make them or edit them for gobos, colours, intensity etc.  The manual doesn't specifically go through the steps on saving a focus palette but I don't have a reason to doubt that it's possible in the way the information reads to me.

I've created colour, intensity and FX palettes for my wash LED's and it works as intended, so I assumed focus palettes would be the same otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned the LS-1 in a thread titled "aiming movers".

Hopefully you can get your hands on a working demo one and confirm that before writing it off from your shortlist.   

Certainly willing to admit I am wrong.  It does have palettes just not focus palette, not as one would think of one.  Seems you have to refocus every scene.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2020, 08:15:32 PM »

Thanks Scott, hopefully someone with some movers and a working LS-1 can weigh-in for us.  I'm not fluid enough in lighting control lingo to know the difference, but if I ever get some downtime during this downtime I might try downloading Capture so I can test it on a virtual mover.
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada

Joel T. Glaser

« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2020, 01:29:24 PM »

Thanks Scott, hopefully someone with some movers and a working LS-1 can weigh-in for us.  I'm not fluid enough in lighting control lingo to know the difference, but if I ever get some downtime during this downtime I might try downloading Capture so I can test it on a virtual mover.

Hi Jeremy. Did you (or anyone) have a chance to check out the focus palettes on the Lightshark console? It's on my radar for a possible up grade, but focus palettes are becoming more and more important for my usage.

Thanks!

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2020, 02:33:04 PM »

Hi Joel, this came up recently on the Facebook LightShark users group, and it does seem to be possible although if I were reading between the lines on responses from various users it works differently than other hardware.  Since this is my first real adventure into DMX controllers outside of basic stuff, I’ll leave that to the experts to compare how useful it is. Here is a link to a YouTube video that was shared that covers the process of updating a palette so that it affects all of the scenes built using that palette.  For my use (no movers, so can only confirm it works to adjust colour/intensity/strobe settings) it works.

youtube link

I’m still at the point of understanding the board and how to create looks I like and how to get there quickly. Looking at features and understanding how that would affect my workflow is still ahead of me, since I’m still developing that workflow.  Hope that helps, but there are some great resources and very responsive folks contributing to that FB group, if you are a user of FB I would recommend checking it out. 
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2020, 12:56:57 AM »

Hi Joel, I took a look at the video Jeremy linked above and can say that the process shown to record/update the color palette is pretty standard in comparison to other consoles.  There are slight differences in nomenclature and keystrokes, but that will almost always vary between consoles anyways.  There seems to be a focus palette selection included in the interface shown in the video - I would find it very odd if the programmers of LightShark implemented palettes for colors and gobos but left out pan/tilt, given that those are two of the most common attributes found in moving lights. 

One thing did stand out to me when watching the video - there was no mention made to masking.  Masking is something used to select out (or mask) certain attributes from a palette or other recorded item.  This is useful for example by recording one palette to only control the prism of my light fixtures while another palette can independently control the gobo of the same light fixtures despite both attributes falling under the "beam" palette for most fixtures.  Masking will prevent the two palettes from conflicting when triggered LTP.  LightShark might just not have this feature, but it can be very useful when programming more complicated shows.  Hope this helps!

Joel T. Glaser

« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2020, 09:24:36 AM »

Thanks Jeremy. Just over there reading that thread. Informative video. I've followed David Henry for some time. He's a great source of lighting info!

Joel T. Glaser

« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2020, 09:38:56 AM »

Hi Joel, I took a look at the video Jeremy linked above and can say that the process shown to record/update the color palette is pretty standard in comparison to other consoles.  There are slight differences in nomenclature and keystrokes, but that will almost always vary between consoles anyways.  There seems to be a focus palette selection included in the interface shown in the video - I would find it very odd if the programmers of LightShark implemented palettes for colors and gobos but left out pan/tilt, given that those are two of the most common attributes found in moving lights. 

One thing did stand out to me when watching the video - there was no mention made to masking.  Masking is something used to select out (or mask) certain attributes from a palette or other recorded item.  This is useful for example by recording one palette to only control the prism of my light fixtures while another palette can independently control the gobo of the same light fixtures despite both attributes falling under the "beam" palette for most fixtures.  Masking will prevent the two palettes from conflicting when triggered LTP.  LightShark might just not have this feature, but it can be very useful when programming more complicated shows.  Hope this helps!

Jeff,

Lighting consoles, pallets, cues, ....... this is all new to me, so no matter which desk I end up with, I'll be starting from scratch. I've been using DMXIS on a laptop, controlled via an ipad. I've been able to create some pretty cool shows, but I'm getting more lights and working bigger stages all the time. And programming is VERY time consuming! Every time I make a change, it eats up way more time than I want to believe it should. I think there are much better options out there for what I'm trying to do (without breaking my bank account!! LOL). Trying to position my business to handle these bigger shows/stages and finding ways to more easily program and make adjustments to light shows.

Masking is a HUGE time saver for me in DMXIS. .... once I got my head around how it works, that is! HA!! I would think that would be standard in every lighting software/console by now. But maybe not. I'll check that out.

Thank you Jeff. Very helpful, as always.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2020, 11:25:00 PM »

I would think that would be standard in every lighting software/console by now. But maybe not. I'll check that out.

Glad I can help Joel.  Yes, masking is standard in any professional console but as we work further down the food chain this feature comes and goes.  I'm actually surprised that DMXIS includes masking as a feature, but I'm glad to hear that it does!  LightShark may indeed have this - it just wasn't mentioned in the video and I don't have experience with the product directly to confirm or deny this. 

I totally agree that all of this is a great learning experience for you as you experiment with the new tools and techniques available in these more advanced platforms.  As with many business investments, it's always a balance of cost and return, and how your money can best be spent to posture your company to take on the larger jobs.  Happy learning and best of luck!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2020, 11:25:00 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.