ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aux-out to amps or IEM  (Read 2459 times)

Dwayne Aasberg

Aux-out to amps or IEM
« on: February 29, 2020, 02:18:22 PM »

My first post!  Thanks in advance for your help.

Our church uses an M32 in the main sanctuary.  The first six aux-outs are connected to fixed amplifiers that drive floor wedge monitors.  This has worked well for years.

We are now considering an inexpensive IEM solution - that being a six channel headphone amplifier using the six sends from the console.  However, we don't want to disconnect the amplifiers as they are needed for certain events where IEM is unworkable.

So I am thinking - do we create a patch board to send each aux-out to either the wedge amplifier or the headphone amp?  Or do we simply connect the aux-outs to both the wedge amps and the headphone amp and trust the crews to not use both simultaneously?

Am I missing something, or over-thinking?  is there issues I've missed?  Has anyone else made the transition from floor wedges to IEM in a mixed manner (not cold turkey)?

Thanks in advance for any help you offer.
Keep you stick on the ice.
Dwayne A
Just a guy who dabbles.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: Aux-out to amps or IEM
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 04:32:57 PM »

Splitting the aux outs to feed both the amp inputs and the headphone amp will work. Just turn off or down the amps that are not needed with the IEM's in use. Actually someone on an IEM and also having a stage wedge would work if needed.

Depending on the amps you have for monitors some amps have a loop through on the inputs and you could take that on to your headphone amp.

What headphone amp are you looking at using?
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 11:35:47 PM by Mike Caldwell »

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 10:20:20 PM »

Are you using all 16 XLR outs? There is a ton of IO and busses on the M32 so if you are really worried then you should just use 6 XLR outs and 6 different busses.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 11:00:51 PM »

Are you using all 16 XLR outs? There is a ton of IO and busses on the M32 so if you are really worried then you should just use 6 XLR outs and 6 different busses.

Yep, even if you want to use the same busses you could route them to two physical outputs.  Otherwise split that output with a simple wye.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 11:39:28 PM »

One possible drawback to splitting the mixes in one way or another is that any EQ applied to the mix just for the stage monitors may not be needed with the IEM's.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 05:51:30 AM »

I'm thinking the same thing.
You can have 6 separate aux busses for each of the IEMs and the wedges.
As noted, EQ for IEMs would be different than the wedges.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Dwayne Aasberg

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2020, 11:47:06 AM »

Hello all.

Thanks for all the good food for thought.

I think I got the answer to my first question - that being is it acceptable to connect the console out to both the monitor amp and headphone amp simultaneously?  I understand that the two amp inputs in parallel reduce the overall impedance seen by the output.  But what I'm hearing is there will be no discernable loss in signal to either device.  Good.  (This is an instance of understanding the theory but not having the experience to know if it's relevant.)

Considering the suggestion of using extra outs on the console - there's a big pile of other challenges in that bag.  Aside from outputs from mix-buses for monitors, there are several outputs assigned to matrix outs for special areas and applications in the church.

But your suggestion did put me to thinking of the potential to use a DL16 on the stage beside the headphone amp.  This could still be in our budget and would solve some other stage connection issues at the same time.

Finally, considering the discussion of EQ differences between a wedge-connect and an IEM-connect on the same bus, I think we would leave it to the crews to acknowledge and manage as they see fit.  In reality we rarely apply EQ to a wedge mix-bus, and then only to eliminate a specific feedback issue.

Again, thanks for all the good discussion.
Dwayne A
Just a guy who dabbles.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2020, 11:47:06 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 25 queries.