ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Small light show control  (Read 3574 times)

Tony Stubb

Small light show control
« on: February 28, 2020, 11:37:28 AM »

Hello,
   I’m the sound engineer for a small 5-piece rock band.  Recently I picked up a generic set of LED pars with stands.  I have been doing sound work for over 30 years.  I have never ventured much into lighting but have always supplied basic wash lighting.  I mix wireless from a Laptop to a 5g router that’s connected to my rackmount mixer.
  What I would like to do, if possible, is provide real basic lighting control from the laptop.. 2.4mhz wireless won’t work, too congested.  So I would like to load a lighting software package on my laptop and control the lights from the Lan port on my router.  I have been some research, but I’m not sure what I need to do this, so far it looks like this.
Laptop wireless connection to the router.
Control Software on the Laptop
Router Lan port to a Ethernet to DMX adapter.
Jump DMX cables from light to light.
Address all lights and being their generic off brand, do a manual channel setup in the software.
Cost is a concern, looking to do this on the cheap.
What budget friend equipment and software, do I need to accomplish this! Is this even doable!  And can the lighting software run from the same laptop I mix from.  Windows 10 with plenty of Horsepower!

Thank You for your help!

John Fruits

Re: Small light show control
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 12:28:45 PM »

Welcome, one problem with your post.  This forum requires the use of your real name.  Until that is fixed we aren't allowed to answer. 
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Kevin_Tisdall

• Milford, CT
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 01:19:41 PM »

Hello,
   I’m the sound engineer for a small 5-piece rock band.  Recently I picked up a generic set of LED pars with stands.  I have been doing sound work for over 30 years.  I have never ventured much into lighting but have always supplied basic wash lighting.  I mix wireless from a Laptop to a 5g router that’s connected to my rackmount mixer.
  What I would like to do, if possible, is provide real basic lighting control from the laptop.. 2.4mhz wireless won’t work, too congested.  So I would like to load a lighting software package on my laptop and control the lights from the Lan port on my router.  I have been some research, but I’m not sure what I need to do this, so far it looks like this.
Address all lights and being their generic off brand, do a manual channel setup in the software.
What budget friend equipment and software, do I need to accomplish this! Is this even doable!  And can the lighting software run from the same laptop I mix from.  Windows 10 with plenty of Horsepower!

Thank You for your help!

Look into either the wired-ethernet or usb versions of dmxking or enttec boxes to get from the pc/lan to dmx.    Not sure what apps for the PC ( I use luminair on ipads ).    I found the donner 2.4ghz dmx wireless systems are pretty robust even in busy 2.4ghz environments.  At least mine have never failed in various clubs and community centers.

I followed Debbie Dunkley's setup (search the lighting forum) with Ipad-luminaire3>*wifi*>AP>dmxking>donner2.4xmit>*2.4ghz*>donner2.4ghzRCV>dmx cables between lights on a stand>terminator.

Seems to work.

--Kevin

Steve Garris

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 02:06:20 PM »

Hello,

Thank You for your help!

I was going to try to do this with an iPad, but realized it wasn't going to work. I know you can use the same router as FOH and dmx, but the running of both programs might be a program, and/or device specific.

FWIW, I run my sound on 1 iPad and my lights on another iPad using Luminair3. I also use the Donner wireless units with excellent results. You don't need cables.

Tony Stubb

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 02:06:48 PM »

Look into either the wired-ethernet or usb versions of dmxking or enttec boxes to get from the pc/lan to dmx.    Not sure what apps for the PC ( I use luminair on ipads ).    I found the donner 2.4ghz dmx wireless systems are pretty robust even in busy 2.4ghz environments.  At least mine have never failed in various clubs and community centers.

I followed Debbie Dunkley's setup (search the lighting forum) with Ipad-luminaire3>*wifi*>AP>dmxking>donner2.4xmit>*2.4ghz*>donner2.4ghzRCV>dmx cables between lights on a stand>terminator.

Seems to work.

--Kevin

Looking at the Donner wireless system.  I take it I need one transmitter for the USB to DMX converter output connection.  Do I need just one receiver for the first light in the chain or one for each light?

Tony Stubb

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 02:13:23 PM »

I was going to try to do this with an iPad, but realized it wasn't going to work. I know you can use the same router as FOH and dmx, but the running of both programs might be a program, and/or device specific.

FWIW, I run my sound on 1 iPad and my lights on another iPad using Luminair3. I also use the Donner wireless units with excellent results. You don't need cables.

I think one laptop will work, due to the fact I'm running a SoundCraft mixer and it uses a web browser for control, no specific app needed for the mixer. I can run other programs in the background and log into the web while mixing I've tested this so a lighting app should work but doesn't mean it will.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2020, 06:23:46 PM »

Looking at the Donner wireless system.  I take it I need one transmitter for the USB to DMX converter output connection.  Do I need just one receiver for the first light in the chain or one for each light?

Yes. 
One Rx on each tree, and any other chains.
TX on the (I prefer) DMXKing output.
Works fab.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Mal Brown

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 02:26:46 AM »

unless you are willing to truly commit... you are better off with generic hardware dmx board and thee donner wireless setup. I was an early adopter of Luminair. They decided that bug fixes were upgrades.  So I would have to purchase Luminaire again...  fuck that.  I understand other  folks have had success with Luminaire later versions. Burn me once, same on you... Burn me twice...

Currently I have a laptop dedicated to Onyx and an M-TOUCH controller.  It is not an insignificant learning curve.  Unless you are going hog wild i terms of channels one of the $60 Obey70  clones can go a long way.

you can see some of our lighting on fb as Gorge Sound and Light
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Mark Norgren

• Mark Norgren
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2020, 07:15:55 AM »

I have been using the Donner stuff for awhile and had good luck with them!  I bought one transmitter and three wireless receivers.  One receiver for each tree and one for lights by the drums.  I can run lines from each fixture depending on how elaborate I want to go.  We also have been using QLC+ on my MacBook Pro with great results.  FWIW

Robert Marshall

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2020, 12:46:52 PM »

Yes. 
One Rx on each tree, and any other chains.
TX on the (I prefer) DMXKing output.
Works fab.

Thanks Dave,

Just to confirm I want to use this system to control the following from a Pioneer RB-DMX1 interface:

1 x Kam Partybar
2 x Stagg Headbanger XT10s (slaved together)
2 x ADJ Inno Pocket Spots (slaved together)
1 x Kam Floodbank

Am I correct in understanding that one Donner DMX transmitter and three receivers will be enough to do this?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2020, 12:46:52 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 23 queries.