ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Presentation-grade Skype?  (Read 4171 times)

Peter Kowalczyk

Presentation-grade Skype?
« on: February 28, 2020, 02:02:06 AM »

Hey Folks,

My client sprung on me at our final event of this years Adventure Slide Show Series that he wanted to have someone 'Call In' and do a live video call.

We used Skype from the presentation laptop, which was already connected for audio and video into the system.  It worked fine in soundcheck, but, you guessed it, had problems during the program.  Poor audio quality, lots of dropouts.

Relying on a Wifi connection for the skype call was surely a bad idea.

Aside from a hard-wired connection to the network, how do people do this sort of thing in a professional setting?

Thanks!

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
Re: Presentation-grade Skype?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 02:14:52 AM »

https://www.quicklink.tv/products/quicklinktx/

Probably this will work. Use to be a Riedel product.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 02:22:23 AM »

Hey Folks,

My client sprung on me at our final event of this years Adventure Slide Show Series that he wanted to have someone 'Call In' and do a live video call.

We used Skype from the presentation laptop, which was already connected for audio and video into the system.  It worked fine in soundcheck, but, you guessed it, had problems during the program.  Poor audio quality, lots of dropouts.

Aside from a hard-wired connection to the network, how do people do this sort of thing in a professional setting?

Thanks!

Gotomeeting commercial, scales as far as you want.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 03:06:30 PM »

I rather like the Zoom API, it’s clean on the end user side and onsite power-user/admin is straightforward.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Peter Kowalczyk

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 11:10:05 PM »

Thanks all.

I love the idea of a hardware solution like that Quicklink Tx, but I pinged their sales dept. for pricing and it's out of reach at this point.  I'll look into the web-based solutions you mentioned if this comes up again.  It will have to wait for next year's speaker series...

John P. Farrell

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 05:29:11 PM »

Unfortunately it all depends on what the other side is using to feed you audio and video....
FOH/PM Blackberry Smoke

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2020, 05:49:11 PM »

I rather like the Zoom API, it’s clean on the end user side and onsite power-user/admin is straightforward.

Zoom has neat toys to play with, like the background toy, But GoToWebinar has significantly better video quality. We spent a couple hours trying it out to see if we could find a better way to do our daily webinars. We're still thinking about it. Zoom might save some money but the video is soft compared to GTW. We were comparing identical endpoints through each system.

I'd pick Zoom for your getting social while physically distancing. It's fun for a cocktail party, GTW maybe not.

Mac

Tracy Garner

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 08:31:51 PM »

Hey Folks,

Thanks!

I've been using Zoom, Bluejeans, Skype, Skype for Business, and GotoMeeting a lot lately. I've been a host and participant. Google Hangouts has been the most stable the last few weeks...smh

Dan Regan

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2020, 02:47:19 AM »

Hey Folks,

Thanks!

Hello,

Have you looked at vMix call? It’s a really powerful piece of software and all you do is send them a weblink and it can all be done in browser. They give you a 60 day free trial! If you have some hardware video cards, you can send the inputs and outputs through though. Useful if you want to send them a reverse vision feed and comms/clean feed.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2020, 05:29:45 PM »

We need to know WHY the video failed in your meeting.  WIFI is definitely not something you want to rely on, as any number of things can cause WIFI to behave poorly. 

Secondly, make sure you have dedicated bandwidth available for your video.  If you test your video and it works, but when the meeting comes up and you're doing a ton of other stuff with your internet connection, things can go bad quickly.  A lot of video chat software tests the bandwidth throughout the call and will automatically scale down video quality to match the bandwidth.  Just one device sucking bandwidth for a brief period can be enough to tell the software to throttle to crap quality pretty quickly.  Making sure you have QoS set up correctly can help prevent this from happening.

If you don't have your network set to handle your bandwidth appropriately, it won't matter which solution you choose, as they all require a steady available stream to function correctly.
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2020, 05:29:45 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.