ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for case building suggestions  (Read 3551 times)

Taylor Hall

Re: Looking for case building suggestions
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2020, 09:54:26 AM »

Just to update everyone on this - looks like we'll be able to make a case for an keyboard (can't remember number of keys.. its long), for about $150. However, i still want to cut that cost down cause fark me.... extruded aluminum is EXPENSIVE. Doesn't seem like it's something that should be that expensive, but it is what it is i guess lol.

I'm toying with the idea of getting a dovetail jig, and going that route with the joints. Worst case scenario, i get a new tool in my shop. :)
That's about the bare minimum build price you can expect for any size case when not getting parts wholesale. Corners, latches, hinges and braces usually end up being $80-100 just on their own (another $40-75 if you want wheels), and the extrusions usually have the highest unit cost due to shipping. I ran across a few online retailers that would offer discounted or free shipping on orders over a certain dollar amount, and given that you're making so many cases of a large size you should easily get there. The cheapest I've seen edges is around $1.25/ft, and lid valances about double that (note that those are for bulk 6/12ft pieces).
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2020, 12:20:27 PM »

That's about the bare minimum build price you can expect for any size case when not getting parts wholesale. Corners, latches, hinges and braces usually end up being $80-100 just on their own (another $40-75 if you want wheels), and the extrusions usually have the highest unit cost due to shipping. I ran across a few online retailers that would offer discounted or free shipping on orders over a certain dollar amount, and given that you're making so many cases of a large size you should easily get there. The cheapest I've seen edges is around $1.25/ft, and lid valances about double that (note that those are for bulk 6/12ft pieces).

Unless the labor and shop are free, I still think buying is better in the long run.

Little story:  back when the PAR can was king of music concert lighting, a buddy of mine looked into rolling his own (literally).  He consulted with his dad, a manufacturing engineer with Boeing, about the processes and work involved.  Dad asked how many were to be built and my buddy said "1,000 or so".  His dad looked at what a PAR can wholesaled for, the cost of materials, etc and said "you need to make over 10,000 to get your tooling and setup money back and make a profit."  As my friend was looking at doing this mostly to equip his own LX shop, he abandoned the idea.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Taylor Hall

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2020, 04:37:21 PM »

Unless the labor and shop are free, I still think buying is better in the long run.

Little story:  back when the PAR can was king of music concert lighting, a buddy of mine looked into rolling his own (literally).  He consulted with his dad, a manufacturing engineer with Boeing, about the processes and work involved.  Dad asked how many were to be built and my buddy said "1,000 or so".  His dad looked at what a PAR can wholesaled for, the cost of materials, etc and said "you need to make over 10,000 to get your tooling and setup money back and make a profit."  As my friend was looking at doing this mostly to equip his own LX shop, he abandoned the idea.
Indeed, a good cost-benefit analysis is always key to any project. For us it made sense to roll our own because we had a few dozen sheets of 3/8" ply left behind by the previous tenant of our office, so that knocked out a good chunk of material cost

To the OP, have you looked into used cases? Amp racks are dime a dozen and people are offloading them all the time. Trying to get any given case built or bought for under $150 pretty much isn't going to happen unless you stumble onto a bunch of materials like we did, or get some deep discounts on parts.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2020, 04:37:21 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.