ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: New Processors For Old Speaker Rig  (Read 8910 times)

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
Re: New Processors For Old Speaker Rig
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2020, 09:18:28 PM »

I'm always hesitant to come in here with questions like this because of, shall we say, less-than-helpful comments and remarks. I would kindly request that only those participants with some experience in the subject comment (which won't be very many, I'm pretty sure). Here goes....

Try posting that you are going to install slotted/drilled or grooved/dimpled disc brake rotors on a build in any import car forum and watch the firestorm erupt - it's really sad the engineer/designer/builders like Enzo Ferrari never got the word - I guess he was set in his ways long before there were internet forums...

It tends to inhibit what many are willing to discuss.  :)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 12:58:37 PM by Steve-White »

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2020, 02:03:11 AM »

Is that true even with the latest Lake Controller release?

#NEW Lake Controller version 6.8.4 is now released and available for download! This release makes it possible to also recall FIR based speaker presets to LM Series devices.

I was told by EAW that this was a hardware limitation in the LM series processors that wasn't present in the PLM amps when I researched this a few years ago.

I'm not aware that there is a workaround in place, but I could be mistaken.

Rich Frembes

• Fulcrum Acoustic
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2020, 10:26:57 AM »

I was told by EAW that this was a hardware limitation in the LM series processors that wasn't present in the PLM amps when I researched this a few years ago.

AFAIK LM processors don't have the DSP horsepower required to directly import EAW Greyboxes.

Lab.gruppen will soon be releasing a brand-spanking-new Lake Controller and firmware that adds a ton of new features, part of which is direct FIR coefficient import and IIR bi-quad import. It will allow Fulcrum to finally support our DSP settings in the Lake platform (finally!).  From what I've seen of signal flow there is a possible work-around to the fixed HPF filter Geri noted earlier.  I'm awaiting the next alpha software/firmware release to verify.

Note that the new software/firmware/feature set will only work in D Series and PLM+ Series amplifiers.  Original PLM and and LM procesors do not have enough DSP horsepower.

I can confirm that the KF settings published on the EAW Legacy page are intended for MX8750 processors, which were OEMd by Ashly.

The new EAW amp/processor are indeed OEMd by Linea Research.  The amps are marvelous; the Linea software not so much (but there is a big upgrade coming on that front soon).  I have not played with the processor as of yet.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2020, 01:08:44 PM »

AFAIK LM processors don't have the DSP horsepower required to directly import EAW Greyboxes.

Lab.gruppen will soon be releasing a brand-spanking-new Lake Controller and firmware that adds a ton of new features, part of which is direct FIR coefficient import and IIR bi-quad import. It will allow Fulcrum to finally support our DSP settings in the Lake platform (finally!).  From what I've seen of signal flow there is a possible work-around to the fixed HPF filter Geri noted earlier.  I'm awaiting the next alpha software/firmware release to verify.

Note that the new software/firmware/feature set will only work in D Series and PLM+ Series amplifiers.  Original PLM and and LM procesors do not have enough DSP horsepower.

I can confirm that the KF settings published on the EAW Legacy page are intended for MX8750 processors, which were OEMd by Ashly.

The new EAW amp/processor are indeed OEMd by Linea Research.  The amps are marvelous; the Linea software not so much (but there is a big upgrade coming on that front soon).  I have not played with the processor as of yet.

Ok, now I’m hoping for a new Lake LM816 or similar.

Rich Frembes

• Fulcrum Acoustic
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2020, 09:24:07 AM »

Ok, now I’m hoping for a new Lake LM816 or similar.

I can neither confirm nor deny that I've seen an artist's rendition of something akin.  ;-)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2020, 12:49:43 PM »

I can neither confirm nor deny that I've seen an artist's rendition of something akin.  ;-)
Hence the code name "Glomar". ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
    • SoundWizard Productions
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2020, 12:53:50 PM »

Lake processors will not load Greyboxes, only the PLM amps.
I did not know this, my apologies for the false info. I thought the LM processors were the same as the PLM processors, just without the "P".

PeterMorris

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2020, 05:57:28 PM »

I did not know this, my apologies for the false info. I thought the LM processors were the same as the PLM processors, just without the "P".

I think you are more or less correct, but Grey Box setting's have only been enabled on the PLM's. I suspect (and I could be wrong) it would however be technically possible to enable Grey Box settings on the LM's if they wanted to do that.

Doug Hammel

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2020, 03:17:27 PM »

Hey Geri, when I was running 760/761 out in the southwest many moons ago I ran XTA DP226 processors. Very happy with their performance and very easy to control. Still a big XTA fan.

I'm always hesitant to come in here with questions like this because of, shall we say, less-than-helpful comments and remarks. I would kindly request that only those participants with some experience in the subject comment (which won't be very many, I'm pretty sure). Here goes...

The former and now part-time boss still owns and uses an old EAW KF760 rig for a lot of events. It's 20 years old, but still sounds pretty decent for outdoor things like rodeos, races, etc. It still makes money, which is why he's using it.

Lately, the EAW UX8800 processors have begun to get shaky and unreliable. Things like dropping output legs, routing assignments, and other oddities. I've done the service bulletin thing of tightening screws and cleaning internal connections and the like and it still happens. It happened lately and the unit wouldn't allow me to go in and assign the proper output leg. I haven't been able to dig in further, we have several of the units and this one is awaiting my further attention on the bench. And EAW will no longer service these processors. No big surprise there.

If, nay, since he's gonna keep running this rig, I think those processors need to go away. I've been looking at the Lake processor line. The LM24 looks promising, but the question is, would anyone know if there are specific settings available for the 760/761 processing requirements? That rig finally sounded pretty decent when the FIR filters were used for the UX8800 processor settings. I doubt it's a simple matter if copying settings, which can't be down anyway because of the gray box nature of the processor settings. And I was never a roll-yer-own processor settings kinda guy, anyway.

Trust me, I've been through the drill of pointing out the cons of investing in new processors for a 20-year-old speaker rig, but he wants to keep the rig running. And at least the Lakes have some resale value if he decided to decommission the 760 rig.

Thanx for any insight.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2023, 06:25:05 PM »

I'm not aware that there is a workaround in place, but I could be mistaken.

Bringing this back from the dead to correct myself with something I discovered today.
With the current Lake Controller (7.1.2) you can load EAW Greyboxes into LM44/LM26 DSPs.
But, you can only load one Greybox in each DSP because it uses up both modules.

Haven’t measured the actual response yet against a UX8800, it’s on the «to do» list….

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2023, 06:25:05 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 25 queries.