ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: New Processors For Old Speaker Rig  (Read 8882 times)

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
Re: New Processors For Old Speaker Rig
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2020, 02:50:29 PM »

I'n my experience with EAW, if you want the rig to sound like it's UX-processed you need a DSP capable of loading Greybox files. That is where the "secret sauce" is.
Powersoft is pretty close with their implementation, but sadly they don't have a stand-alone DSP. My KF750-rig measures identically if I use UX processing or the internal DSP in Powersoft with the same Greybox file.

I'm guessing that if you want to have a DSP solution for this you'll need to come up with your own settings or look to Powersoft.

FWIW: I ran into a KF760/761 rig last year with BH760 subs. Sounded pretty good and had impressive amounts of headroom. Would gladly mix on a system like that again.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2020, 03:14:18 PM »

I'n my experience with EAW, if you want the rig to sound like it's UX-processed you need a DSP capable of loading Greybox files. That is where the "secret sauce" is.
Powersoft is pretty close with their implementation, but sadly they don't have a stand-alone DSP. My KF750-rig measures identically if I use UX processing or the internal DSP in Powersoft with the same Greybox file.

I'm guessing that if you want to have a DSP solution for this you'll need to come up with your own settings or look to Powersoft.

FWIW: I ran into a KF760/761 rig last year with BH760 subs. Sounded pretty good and had impressive amounts of headroom. Would gladly mix on a system like that again.

It Looks like EAW is now posting Graybox settings for Qsys.  I don't see any in the download for the 760 though. KF Series it looks like they have KF364, 394, 730, 737, 740.   It may be worth a call you see if they can port the 760s over for you.   
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2020, 04:30:11 PM »

Thanx for all the comments...

I can't believe that I just now thought to look and see if EAW is offering a "second-generation" processor that uses their Greyboxes settings, and lo and behold, they certainly do!

The UX48 is a current product from EAW that will solve our processor problems right off the bat.

Also, I see a line of amplifiers that have the UX processing built-in. We are looking at amplifiers as our (also) 20-year-old LG FP6400s are dying off. Four of them this year have been diagnosed with power supply problems that can't be repaired due to lack of parts availability. No surprise there. But again, we've spent so little money on repairs for those things compared to the money they have made for us. The EAW UXA-4410 would be a good candidate for those needs. And still be useful later if deployed for another rig.

I should keep up with this stuff more often. That's what reverting back to being a musician will do... ;D

Luis_Marquez

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2020, 11:25:49 PM »

Thanx for all the comments...

I can't believe that I just now thought to look and see if EAW is offering a "second-generation" processor that uses their Greyboxes settings, and lo and behold, they certainly do!

The UX48 is a current product from EAW that will solve our processor problems right off the bat.

Also, I see a line of amplifiers that have the UX processing built-in. We are looking at amplifiers as our (also) 20-year-old LG FP6400s are dying off. Four of them this year have been diagnosed with power supply problems that can't be repaired due to lack of parts availability. No surprise there. But awe've spent so little money on repairs for those things compared to the money they have made for us. The EAW UXA-4410 would be a good candidate for those needs. And still be useful later if deploy

EAW UXA/UX sure looks like  Linea Research DSP/amplifiers

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2020, 01:22:33 AM »

Oh, my, don’t they, though! Interesting.

Ed Walters

• Holland, MI, USA
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2020, 07:27:08 AM »

See
https://www.linea-research.co.uk/oem-solutions/

Linea does EAW, among several others, notably Martin and Danley, as well..

Ed Walters
The Solution LLC: certified: AMX, Audio Architect, Composer, ControlSpace, CTS, DanteL3/DDM, Tesira, and more.

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
    • SoundWizard Productions
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2020, 09:23:01 AM »

FWIW, Lake processors and Lab.Gruppen PLM series will also load greybox files.

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2020, 02:06:28 PM »

Our desire to have the rig sounding as intended by EAW is what prompted this topic.

I haven’t perused the EAW site, so I was unaware of the second-generation UX processors and DSP amplifiers that are now available from EAW.

That will solve our issues.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2020, 05:21:14 PM »

FWIW, Lake processors and Lab.Gruppen PLM series will also load greybox files.

Lake processors will not load Greyboxes, only the PLM amps.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2020, 05:38:19 PM »

Lake processors will not load Greyboxes, only the PLM amps.

Is that true even with the latest Lake Controller release?

#NEW Lake Controller version 6.8.4 is now released and available for download! This release makes it possible to also recall FIR based speaker presets to LM Series devices.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2020, 05:38:19 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.