ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: QSC PLX3402 Amp Driving 3x MF Drivers - Ohms Question  (Read 2043 times)

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: High frequency horn response
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2023, 02:25:31 AM »

….does this mean they are rated to take a speaker load as low as 2 ohms? Sorry I’m a slow learner and still trying to get my head around speaker matching/amp loads.

IF the incoming wall power doesn't sag, and IF it's for a short time duration, and likely IF the crest ratio is large.  Hence why I don't design systems to run at 2 ohms, regardless of the amp.  Especially for lower grade amps like PLX.

ETA - thank you for pointing out the typo, Art! 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 06:27:08 PM by Caleb Dueck »
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: High frequency horn response
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2023, 12:58:23 PM »

IF the incoming wall power doesn't sag, and IF it's for a short time duration, and likely IF the crest ratio is low.  Hence why I don't design systems to run at 2 ohms, regardless of the amp.  Especially for lower grade amps like PLX.

Preach it, Brother!

The road to audio hell is paved with poor electrical service and operational methods that put extra stress on all system components.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Re: Crest factor ratio
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2023, 03:56:08 PM »

IF the incoming wall power doesn't sag, and IF it's for a short time duration, and likely IF the crest ratio is low.  Hence why I don't design systems to run at 2 ohms, regardless of the amp.  Especially for lower grade amps like PLX.
If the crest factor ratio is low, the demands on the amplifier are highest- a square wave is 1/1, or 0db, a sine wave has a 3dB crest factor, most music is in the 12 to 20dB range.

Low frequency often has the lowest crest factor ratio, followed by mid (what the OP planning to run at <4 ohms) followed by high frequency with the highest crest factor ratios.

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Crest factor ratio
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2023, 03:56:08 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 26 queries.