ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newb needs advice on fixing horn drivers  (Read 6074 times)

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: Newb needs advice on fixing horn drivers
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2020, 12:13:49 AM »

It looks like it rained on their parade.....

To get the cabinets "working" go with the Eminence, you want 8 ohm. Let the buyers know.

The JBL 2426 - 2417 drivers are polarity reversed from the rest of the world.

For the replacement driver that means to keep things kind of correct you will want to connect the lead that originally was connected to the positive terminal on the JBL driver to the negative terminal on the replacement driver and the lead connected to the negative terminal on the JBL goes to the positive on the replacement.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 12:22:54 AM by Mike Caldwell »

Dave Guilford

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2020, 06:03:36 PM »

What models of JBL are they?

Larry McIntire

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2020, 11:58:50 PM »

What models of JBL are they?
12 SR4722X
2 SR4732X
2 SR4704A

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2020, 08:20:24 AM »

Why not let the buyer(s) decide which drivers go in? Offer to replace them if they are not willing or don't know how.

Or you could sell them as-is without replacing anything. I'm not sure that you would get much ROI anyway after buying horn drivers. 20 year-old speakers aren't worth much, in my opinion. Once the paper cones on the LF drivers begin to dry-rot, they are prone to crack/tear under stress.

Good luck.

This.

Offer 3 prices. Not fixed, fixed with generic, and fixed with OEM.

Guarantee you the folks looking to buy these cabinets will pick option one. Every. Single. Time.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2020, 05:45:42 PM »

12 SR4722X
2 SR4732X
2 SR4704A

Double check the high frequency drivers/tweeters in the 4732's, those don't take abuse real well.
If you want to dig into them check the horns in the 4732's as well, the rear driver support on those is not that great and will break loose if the cabinets are beat around. When the rear support breaks loose that weight of the big 2447 driver will crack the horns.
A friend of has some of the earlier version of cabinets that I repaired for him.

Larry McIntire

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2020, 05:31:11 PM »

Double check the high frequency drivers/tweeters in the 4732's, those don't take abuse real well.
If you want to dig into them check the horns in the 4732's as well, the rear driver support on those is not that great and will break loose if the cabinets are beat around. When the rear support breaks loose that weight of the big 2447 driver will crack the horns.
A friend of has some of the earlier version of cabinets that I repaired for him.
Thanks for the heads up.  The 4732s work perfectly, even the buttcheek tweeters.
I opened them up and there's no bracing or support for the 2447s at all.  Maybe it was the A series rather than the X that had them?  Either way, your point is valid.  Those buggers are putting a ton of torque on that horn.  If they were going to be stationary I wouldn't sweat it, but I'm keeping them and they will be mobile.  Not sure if it's feasible to jury rig something myself or just be gentle.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2020, 12:48:44 PM »

If they were going to be stationary I wouldn't sweat it, but I'm keeping them and they will be mobile.  Not sure if it's feasible to jury rig something myself or just be gentle.

I would build up some support, plywood with a round hole that fits the driver braced to
the top and sides of the cabinet.
Not only will it support the driver it will add some more bracing to the cabinet.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2020, 12:48:44 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 25 queries.