ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Switching Soundboards  (Read 1352 times)

Stephen Swaffer

Re: Switching Soundboards
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2020, 01:00:10 pm »

The main problem with your view is that if you don't exist, and someone else comes in to run sound, they will be confused by the inefficiency. Just because a certain way "works" does not mean it's the correct or right way. And boards, although similar, do not do essentially the same thing.
If my job is to make it sound the best, and do it in the easiest and most efficient way possible, that's what I need to do.
Although I don't know how everything is set up, I DO KNOW that it is inefficient. In my experience, starting from scratch is sometimes necessary. Especially in a church: positive change, no matter how drastic, should be looked on as good. Otherwise, selfishness reigns supreme. The negatives in this situation is people don't like change. Not financial, not quality, and definitely not spiritual.
My job is to bring Glory to God through my audio skills. It should be that way as a worship team. Period.

There was a point in time where I did, quite literally, rip all but everything out and start over.  That was about 5 years in ( 20 years ago) and after having learned a lot of things here.  The reason I use aux fed sidefills/overflow and sub (when used) is because I learned how and why here.  Had I done what I "knew" to be the best thing a year in, I would have really messed things up.

I'm not sure what you mean by "inefficency"?? 

The biggest issue, in my opinion, is that you need to understand why you are making changes-and as Mike has pointed out these mixers are functionally almost identical.  You should be able to make either mixer work just as "efficiently" as the other unless one is broken. I understand its easier to run a board you are familiar with-but understanding how and why you do things on one board versus another is what allow you to configure the setup correctly.  In this situation, the quality of your end result will determined more by your knowledge that by the hardware being used.

I am in rural Iowa without a lot of local people to learn from.  "Back in the day"  I had the local library get me some college level textbooks from larger libraries and read them.  I found the early version of the LAB, and I applied myself because I was an amateur sound guy that knew a little but not enough.  I've done some dumb things over the years-and avoided more than a few by listening to the lots smarter guys on here-and now the WWW has resources at your finger tips.
Steve Swaffer

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2020, 03:05:50 am »

Inserts are wired the same.  Tip = Send, Ring = Receive

There was a time when Soundcraft did it the other way round.  I have no idea why.

Steve.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2020, 06:38:31 pm »

There was a point in time where I did, quite literally, rip all but everything out and start over.  That was about 5 years in ( 20 years ago) and after having learned a lot of things here.  The reason I use aux fed sidefills/overflow and sub (when used) is because I learned how and why here.  Had I done what I "knew" to be the best thing a year in, I would have really messed things up.

I'm not sure what you mean by "inefficency"?? 

The biggest issue, in my opinion, is that you need to understand why you are making changes-and as Mike has pointed out these mixers are functionally almost identical.  You should be able to make either mixer work just as "efficiently" as the other unless one is broken. I understand its easier to run a board you are familiar with-but understanding how and why you do things on one board versus another is what allow you to configure the setup correctly.  In this situation, the quality of your end result will determined more by your knowledge that by the hardware being used.

I am in rural Iowa without a lot of local people to learn from.  "Back in the day"  I had the local library get me some college level textbooks from larger libraries and read them.  I found the early version of the LAB, and I applied myself because I was an amateur sound guy that knew a little but not enough.  I've done some dumb things over the years-and avoided more than a few by listening to the lots smarter guys on here-and now the WWW has resources at your finger tips.

Stephen I think there is a lot of value in the method you learned.  In today's hive mind culture we see people ask questions that a simple search or perusal of the manual would answer.  In the process of that search or read you will take a journey of discovery and understand the answer to your question in context. 

I, like many here grew up long before the Internet.  I voraciously gobbled library texts on what I was interested in, cherished the time that folks who knew more than me (which was most).  I had some great mentors at 11/12 years of age, ham radio operators when they saw I was serious about learning would spend great time with me and I learned basic electronics from them.  Nobody knew how to properly run the AV gear so that was a completely self guided journey.  Once I started working many of the older guys would not help me because I was young and aggressive with a real desire to learn.  They usually just wanted to get to the bar. 

Naturally I think this type of learning is far better than just getting dubious answers to your questions from a group of strangers.  It facilitates holistic learning and teaches research and problem solving skills.  These things all seem to be in short supply today.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2020, 09:45:25 pm »

There was a time when Soundcraft did it the other way round.  I have no idea why.

Steve.

Yup.  I worked for a company that had both types of Soundcra* consoles.  So we needed to keep different Multipin insert looms for each type to go alongside the separate Send/Return ones we had for our Big Boy desks.  What a pain...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
bdmaudio@gmail.com

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2020, 03:37:22 am »

Yup.  I worked for a company that had both types of Soundcra* consoles.  So we needed to keep different Multipin insert looms for each type to go alongside the separate Send/Return ones we had for our Big Boy desks.  What a pain...

About ten years ago, I made an all valve (tube) mixer for a friend's studio. When we tried it out, none of the inserts worked - and there were two per channel.
Tracing it back, we worked out that I had the send and return the wrong way round, so I took it apart and did it again - still wrong!

Guess which mixer he had been usng up to then... Yes. A Soundcraft with reversed inserts.
As a lot of his inserted devices were on XLR rather than TRS, we couldn't just swap them, so back it came for another re-wire!

Steve.

Larry Snider III

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2020, 09:57:35 pm »

Steve.

Do you know how to tell? I've never really worked with any non recent Soundcraft boards. Is there a certain model number in the GB2's that are reversed?
Don't be a douche canoe.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2020, 09:57:35 pm »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 23 queries.