ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Early delays at a large concert (only 600,000 people)  (Read 12575 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Early delays at a large concert (only 600,000 people)
« on: February 20, 2020, 12:22:57 PM »

This is an interesting read.

I didn't know units like that existed back then.

But I could not even imagine that price either----------

https://www.eventideaudio.com/blog/jgoldbach/remembering-watkins-glenn-festival?fbclid=IwAR0KCkkRGfp4iogDUsfBBNXvujB3GGk1VdQQrAtdCfGGf7nhlyalFF8HOVA
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 02:54:51 PM by Ivan Beaver »
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
Re: Early delays at a large concert (only 600,00 people)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 12:42:47 PM »

https://www.eventideaudio.com/blog/jgoldbach/remembering-watkins-glenn-festival?fbclid=IwAR0KCkkRGfp4iogDUsfBBNXvujB3GGk1VdQQrAtdCfGGf7nhlyalFF8HOVA

Ah! So that was what the stage looked like!  I was there and never got close enough that the stage was over a fraction of an inch high.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 01:09:58 PM »

I remember the guy that did Woodstock was asked about delay towers and he said it would have been tape delays and the cost was pretty much the budget for the whole show system!!
No delays for you!
I don't care enough to be apathetic

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 02:04:23 PM »

Yup  early digital delay was crazy expensive... and not very hifi.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 02:20:45 PM »

"The 1745s weren’t cheap, with a list price of over $5,000 (1973 dollars; approximately $26,000 today). Back then a fifth of a second of audio delay costs as much as a new car!"

I remember drooling over the Eventide Clockworks delays in the mid 1970s, but could not afford them.
Used a Revox A77 tape recorder as a delay, great sound, but got tired of lugging a 50 pound case with only two echo speeds, and rewinding tape every half hour.

Then around 1976, MXR came out with a rack mount digital delay that cost only a fraction of what the Eventide DDLs were going for, the MXR was around $1200 if I remember correctly. However, they also only had a fraction of the frequency response of the Eventide, only 2.5kHz at 100ms unless you loaded extra memory cards, each which cost about half as much as the unit!

I still remember the UFO band house mixer complaining "I can't hear the bloody digitals" when he went to longer delay settings, 10kHz, 5kHz, 2.5Khz...

For 20kHz bandwidth to 160ms (1240ms at 2.5kHz..) required three additional cards, near the Eventide cost, but on the "installment plan" ;^)

Art

« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 02:26:54 PM by Art Welter »

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 02:34:44 PM »

I was designing analog delay based studio effects back in the late 70s and early digital was not cheap and not that good, but quickly evolved to eclipse analog delays.

In the bad old days memory was the expensive part but digital word length was not very good, especially by modern standards. The 1 bit digital delta modulation was an exception where the sound quality could be quite good for short delays (high clock/sample) rates. Longer delays involving lower clock rates introduced users to a new (horrible) kind of digital distortion.

Lucky most of us have managed to forget about those old days. 

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 02:54:07 PM »

"The 1745s weren’t cheap, with a list price of over $5,000 (1973 dollars; approximately $26,000 today). Back then a fifth of a second of audio delay costs as much as a new car!"

I remember drooling over the Eventide Clockworks delays in the mid 1970s, but could not afford them.
Used a Revox A77 tape recorder as a delay, great sound, but got tired of lugging a 50 pound case with only two echo speeds, and rewinding tape every half hour.

Then around 1976, MXR came out with a rack mount digital delay that cost only a fraction of what the Eventide DDLs were going for, the MXR was around $1200 if I remember correctly. However, they also only had a fraction of the frequency response of the Eventide, only 2.5kHz at 100ms unless you loaded extra memory cards, each which cost about half as much as the unit!

I still remember the UFO band house mixer complaining "I can't hear the bloody digitals" when he went to longer delay settings, 10kHz, 5kHz, 2.5Khz...

For 20kHz bandwidth to 160ms (1240ms at 2.5kHz..) required three additional cards, near the Eventide cost, but on the "installment plan" ;^)

Art
I remember working on one of those MXRs in the mid 90s.  Yeah, they didn't sound good (it was a power supply problem) and I wondered why people even bought them.

I don't remember the brand of my first digital delay.  I used it to delay my mains to my Servodrive dubs.  The adjustments were in 5ms increments and it was quite noisy.  You had to hit it hard to keep the noise to a "kinda minimum".

Oh how the times have changed.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2020, 03:00:46 PM »

I remember working on one of those MXRs in the mid 90s.  Yeah, they didn't sound good (it was a power supply problem) and I wondered why people even bought them.
Because David Gilmore, Frank Zappa and Jean Luc Ponty used them, and people were tired of replacing tapes and cleaning heads...

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2020, 03:24:21 PM »

I don't remember the brand of my first digital delay.  I used it to delay my mains to my Servodrive dubs.  The adjustments were in 5ms increments and it was quite noisy.  You had to hit it hard to keep the noise to a "kinda minimum".

Oh how the times have changed.
My first delay was a Dynacord tape machine.(ouch)
The first digital was a DeltaLab DL4
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
Re: Early delays at a large concert (only 600,000 people)
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2020, 07:20:54 PM »

My first one was a DeltaLab ADM 1024 Effectron.  Never had the money for a Eventide or Lexicon.

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Early delays at a large concert (only 600,000 people)
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2020, 07:20:54 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.