Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > HistoryOfConcertSound.org

Early delays at a large concert (only 600,000 people)

(1/5) > >>

Ivan Beaver:
This is an interesting read.

I didn't know units like that existed back then.

But I could not even imagine that price either----------

https://www.eventideaudio.com/blog/jgoldbach/remembering-watkins-glenn-festival?fbclid=IwAR0KCkkRGfp4iogDUsfBBNXvujB3GGk1VdQQrAtdCfGGf7nhlyalFF8HOVA

frank kayser:

--- Quote from: Ivan Beaver on February 20, 2020, 12:22:57 PM ---This is an interesting read.

https://www.eventideaudio.com/blog/jgoldbach/remembering-watkins-glenn-festival?fbclid=IwAR0KCkkRGfp4iogDUsfBBNXvujB3GGk1VdQQrAtdCfGGf7nhlyalFF8HOVA

--- End quote ---

Ah! So that was what the stage looked like!  I was there and never got close enough that the stage was over a fraction of an inch high.

Keith Broughton:

--- Quote from: Ivan Beaver on February 20, 2020, 12:22:57 PM ---

--- End quote ---
I remember the guy that did Woodstock was asked about delay towers and he said it would have been tape delays and the cost was pretty much the budget for the whole show system!!
No delays for you!

John Roberts {JR}:
Yup  early digital delay was crazy expensive... and not very hifi.

JR

Art Welter:

--- Quote from: Ivan Beaver on February 20, 2020, 12:22:57 PM ---This is an interesting read.

--- End quote ---
"The 1745s weren’t cheap, with a list price of over $5,000 (1973 dollars; approximately $26,000 today). Back then a fifth of a second of audio delay costs as much as a new car!"

I remember drooling over the Eventide Clockworks delays in the mid 1970s, but could not afford them.
Used a Revox A77 tape recorder as a delay, great sound, but got tired of lugging a 50 pound case with only two echo speeds, and rewinding tape every half hour.

Then around 1976, MXR came out with a rack mount digital delay that cost only a fraction of what the Eventide DDLs were going for, the MXR was around $1200 if I remember correctly. However, they also only had a fraction of the frequency response of the Eventide, only 2.5kHz at 100ms unless you loaded extra memory cards, each which cost about half as much as the unit!

I still remember the UFO band house mixer complaining "I can't hear the bloody digitals" when he went to longer delay settings, 10kHz, 5kHz, 2.5Khz...

For 20kHz bandwidth to 160ms (1240ms at 2.5kHz..) required three additional cards, near the Eventide cost, but on the "installment plan" ;^)

Art

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version