ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Any experiences with the TW-audio T24N boxes here?  (Read 5519 times)

Jens Droessler

Re: Any experiences with the TW-audio T24N boxes here?
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2020, 05:27:34 AM »

I mixed on the VHD 2.0. and that's quiet a capable system even in the open air when talking about 1000-2000 people shows. A reliable mixing engineer fellow told me that he compared them and the T24N is better both in terms of sound quality and SPL.
Sorry to say, but your friend does not know what he‘s talking about. Take a look at the official review, especially on the measurements, very especially on maximum SPL.
https://www.twaudio.de/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/TW_AUDiO_T24N_Tests_Production_Partner_Reprint_T24N_EN-1.pdf
I regularly work with systems comparable in output to the VHD 2.0. They hit 140dB max SPL in wide range (measured by the same people who did the T24N review), unlike the T24N which reaches like 138dB only in a small range around 1kHz, the rest is more like 130 to 132dB. With the systems I work with we do shows with 1000 to 1200 people in the audience with one top per side for live rock or similar. I know the T24N well, and I wouldn‘t dare that with less than two per side, and they‘ll be near maximum for that. Soundwise the T24N are just fine, but not in the same league as the VHD 2.0 which is one of the best sounding systems I ever heard. The T24N is a compromise made for compact size, and it shows when it comes to performance in the lowmidsand the overall sound. Physics is a bitch, no way around. Live with it and be happy if you need that kind of compactness, but don‘t make it up to be more than it is.

Or think of it like this: If you can build a speaker of the size of the T24N with all the performance and all the sound of the VHD 2.0, why wouldn‘t the VHD 2.0 be that size itself? The VHD 2.0 is even newer than the original T24, which wasn‘t all too different from the T24N, same size.

Mike Goodreau

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2020, 09:24:25 PM »

So a colleague has an oportunity to get two barely used TW audio T24N speakers at a really good price. He runs a small sound rental that i mix for very often.

Initially he was thinking about buying them as a secondary small rig for just a few hundred people at best...

But after i've heard some really good things about these boxes, from some reliable sources, and realized that we are talking about KV2 VHD 2.0 SPL levels with the right amplifiers... i realised that this is more then just the usual compact and efficient box.

I mixed on the VHD 2.0. and that's quiet a capable system even in the open air when talking about 1000-2000 people shows. A reliable mixing engineer fellow told me that he compared them and the T24N is better both in terms of sound quality and SPL.

So i was wondering... could the T24N based system be a good start for upgrading it to something like two T24N's a side, with some powersoft amps and the right subs. And then have that system for 2000 people shows in the open air, while ditching the idea of buying 10 RCF HDL 30 boxes that he initially planned to buy, since they would be a lot more expensive in the end.

How would this TW audio system compare to a couple of small to mid sized linearray boxes like the HDL30 system?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2020, 09:24:25 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 23 queries.