ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking to buy anything similar but the VRX932LAP  (Read 4643 times)

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
Re: Looking to buy anything similar but the VRX932LAP
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2020, 03:36:58 PM »

Hey Don, not to hijack, but related to your response.  I have a pair of the IG4Ts and love them for their sound/weight/portability.  I am considering getting another pair to double up for those gigs that need a little more, but don't meet the budget for dragging out the lifts and TTL6A's.  What differences do you notice with the IG's doubled up?

Thanks.
Nate

The obvious answer is more SPL, but you know that already.  The best feature is the digital steering for the highs.  It works reasonably well and really helps in certain venues I work, and depending on the outdoor set up.  The one thing I have found: they are not long throw devices.  I expected a little more when "coupled".  They sound very good as you already know.

Don T. Williams

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2020, 03:56:59 PM »

I'll agree with Bob also.  There is very little (maybe nothing) that will scale that great of a range at this point, and what might be available is far out of this customers budget.  I have not heard a larger R-H ICLive X system, but the systems I have heard impress. That series might could do that, but its not in his budget.  Other steerable products (K-Array and EAW) are way out of that budget range.  I wish I could buy Dom Perignon for a Bud Light price, but it ain't gonna happen!

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2020, 04:03:25 PM »

I'm planning on getting up to 16 line arrays to add in my rental inventory for bigger events.

Hi Brandon, and welcome to ProSoundWeb.  Unfortunately, you’re not going to find much love here for what you’re attempting to do, especially considering that you don’t know the proper terminology for what you’re looking to buy. 

Topics like this come up here often enough, and the consistent answer you’ll receive is that in the overwhelming majority of cases, buying a line array is the wrong solution both financially and acoustically.  Give this thread a read – especially starting around page 5 (link).  It might save us all some typing.  Best of luck with your endeavor though! 

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2020, 08:01:48 PM »

JBL 4886 or Nexo Geo S12s are probably closest to you original intent but not in the budget you're describing. As others have posted there is a gap between your terminology and the physics of what you want to achieve but nothing a bit of study won't fix.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2020, 10:27:50 PM »

JBL 4886 or Nexo Geo S12s are probably closest to you original intent but not in the budget you're describing. As others have posted there is a gap between your terminology and the physics of what you want to achieve but nothing a bit of study won't fix.

There's also d&b's T10 which can switch between a 90x35 point source box and a 105-degree line-source box. Also likely not within budget.

-Russ

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2020, 11:16:40 AM »

There's also d&b's T10 which can switch between a 90x35 point source box and a 105-degree line-source box. Also likely not within budget.

-Russ

Once you factor in transportation, processing, cabling etc.... he will be way above his budget.

OP,
I was once in your shoes. I thought I needed a line array for a few events I was doing a year. I decided to keep my trap boxes and cross rent the line arrays when needed for the handful of events I needed them for.

Story time:
The biggest indoor venue that I find myself in very often usually packs in 1100-1200 people. Events are playback artists and other times it's full bands. One event I cross rented a JBL 4883/4886 rig to see if that's what I wanted to purchase. In order to get the volume I needed at the back of the room I needed to blast the people at the front. This room also doesn't have rigging points but luckily the stage is 4' off the floor and it's very wide so putting the ground stacked array on stage worked. I had been doing this venue with JBL SRX 725/728 as mains and delay speakers time aligned to the front rig. I didn't have to blast the people at the front and had total control of the system with different "zones" if you will.
Point of the story is that a line array is just a tool and in some cases IT'S the wrong tool.

There is more to a line array that just shinny new boxes. You have to factor is rigging, transportation, power, cabling and storage.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2020, 03:58:35 PM »

EAW Anna scales really nice from 2 boxes and upwards, but it’s not 3K per box.
I’ve done small corporate shows with as little as 2 boxes a side, it works. Need steering for lower frequencies or more SPL? Add boxes.

Your low frequency cutoff for steering is of course dictated by line length, but stuff does happen and happen well with just 2 boxes.

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2020, 04:34:24 PM »

Martin WPM meets the OP's needs.  You can put 4 on a pole and scale up from there.  They sound fantastic.  Is 4 a side a line array - no.  Does 4 a side allow you to do things that you can't with a conventional speaker - yes. 
Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

Don T. Williams

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2020, 06:58:40 PM »

I heard EAW Anna demoed again at NAMM this year.  I didn't get exact pricing, but the EAW sales person stated pricing as " about the same as other first tier line array systems - about $10K per foot".  He was pretty much correct.  A 20' long top tier line array is about $200K worth of gear per side.

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2020, 03:14:41 AM »

One other system you might look at is the DB Technologies Ingenia series.  They are not totally scalable, and they are not a "line array", but they sound pretty impressive and do give you some options.  I have four IG4's and love their small size and weight.

I have a pair IG4T and I also bought the coupling bracket so I could experiment with stacking them. The big problem is that they are difficult to stack and then get them high enough in the air to get the horns overhead unless you have the ability to fly them, or place them on a high stage. It is difficult to put a stacked pair of IG4T on top of a stacked pair of subwoofers. Putting them atop a single sub doesn't get them very high.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2020, 03:14:41 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.