ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Wireless MC Mic (not worried about tone or feedback, but dynamic range)  (Read 2257 times)

jamesheyser

I'm wondering about buying a wireless mic that doesn't distort when yelled into but isn't necessarily high end.

MC's frequently shout to get the crowd going, and I've noticed that cheap wireless mics tend to distort easily before I can apply compression or reduce trim.  But that's pretty much my only consideration for this application... tone and detail aren't priorities.

Any suggestions?

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.

Adjust gain on the transmitter.

Bring forth your inner MC and shout while you adjust the gain to make it safe. Pretty standard thing to do on any show involving MCs or rappers or both.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions

Use / abuse the mic like the MC will, if they cup the mic you cup the mic while setting the mic transmitter gain and then work your way to setting the mixer input gain.

What make and model wireless mic do you have now.

Who ever is running sound will have to be quick to adjust the mixer input gain when someone
else who is not the MC gets up to talk and does not have the MC's "mic technique"

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio

+1 on gain structure.

I like my Sennheiser G4 EW100-935. I'd used Sennheiser wireless gear before, and found it sensible in operation. The 935 capsule is a lovely unit, too, so this system made a lot of sense for me. YMMV.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services

My solution is a dedicated MC mic. I use ULX J1 band units. Usually the hand held with red stripe and red clown nose. I tell the MC to not hand the mic to anyone as it will sound bad for them as it is tuned especially for the MC.
Doesn’t work sometimes...
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Eric Snodgrass

Avoid any wireless handheld unit that doesn't have gain adjustment capabilities on the wireless mic.  Those are typically the budget units. 

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB

Avoid any wireless handheld unit that doesn't have gain adjustment capabilities on the wireless mic.  Those are typically the budget units.

The notable exception is Shure's QLX-D, ULX-D, and Axient Digital. All of those transmitters have an auto-ranging gain, and you do your gain-staging/headroom adjustment at the RX.

-Russ

Eric Snodgrass

The notable exception is Shure's QLX-D, ULX-D, and Axient Digital. All of those transmitters have an auto-ranging gain, and you do your gain-staging/headroom adjustment at the RX.

-Russ

Good to know, Russ. 
Each example that Russ gave would be a quality choice for a wireless microphone.  None are cheap but you will definitely get your money's worth. 

Loren Miller

I'm wondering about buying a wireless mic that doesn't distort when yelled into but isn't necessarily high end.

MC's frequently shout to get the crowd going, and I've noticed that cheap wireless mics tend to distort easily before I can apply compression or reduce trim.  But that's pretty much my only consideration for this application... tone and detail aren't priorities.

Any suggestions?

From the post I take it you have found the flaw of GTD mics. If it was me I wouldn't bother with a mid/low grade mic. Rather, hold the mic another inch away from your mouth and use it until you have saved up for a GREAT system. QLXD can be had used for 8-900 with a SM58, (personally recommend the SM86 capsule for MC). They are night and day better from GTD!

Loren

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA

An open box Senny ew835 g4 on ebay is going for around $400.
Wouldn't you spend a little more to get a reliable system?
I'm sure used g3 systems are even cheaper.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions

An open box Senny ew835 g4 on ebay is going for around $400.
Wouldn't you spend a little more to get a reliable system?
I'm sure used g3 systems are even cheaper.

Good Ebay deals are there, but be careful about who you buy from. There are lots of Sennheiser
and Shure counterfeit equipment.

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio

Can't have both.. Look at Shure Axient digital = sam dynmic range as wire....
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Best Wireless MC Mic (not worried about tone or feedback, but dynamic range)
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2020, 09:45:30 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.