ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Search Criteria for Tablet for Behringer XR18 X Air?  (Read 8055 times)

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
Re: Search Criteria for Tablet for Behringer XR18 X Air?
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2020, 02:01:05 PM »

In some respects, having the larger screen makes MORE sense for when you are playing.  The control you need in that moment is more likely to be on screen, so a quick tweak won't interrupt your playing.
I would make the same suggestion. Holding the tablet in one hand while adjusting with the other is one thing. Reaching down (quickly?) with one hand to a tablet on a mic-stand mount or resting on an amp is much less accurate and a larger screen should be helpful.
..db

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2020, 02:12:27 PM »

OP here.  Wanted to chime back in and thank everybody for your thoughts and input.  It's been really helpful!

As I'm seeing, the size is going to be fairly subjective and personal.  So I installed Mixing Station on my Gen 3 Ipad, our guitarist's Gen 2 Ipad mini and my Samsung Galaxy phone.  I've had the mixer about a day now and have been trying out the different options. 

Since I'll be using this mixer about 80% in a band situation where I'm also performing, I suspect that once the initial sound check is done, only the occasional tweek will be needed.  So a large screen that I might like if I was at a FOH position all night, would be a luxury but not a requirement.  The phone would work in a pinch and maybe I keep the app on there for emergencies, but I could probably be very happy with the Mini size unit, either iPad or Android.

I will say, I'm floored at how quickly the batteries drain while connected to the router.  Like 100% to 85% in 20 minutes.  I guess when I take the tablet back up on stage with me, I'd better have a way to keep it on a charger.

Or do people shut the tablet off and then reconnect as needed?

Thanks everybody for your input!

My Galaxy Tab 8 (2019) shows 45% remaining after 4 hours.  My 2013 Nexus 7 (Asus)  gets 3 to 4 hours with 20% remaining.  I think you need to look at things running in the background  and perhaps compromised battery life.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Nathan Morefield

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2020, 02:35:07 PM »

In some respects, having the larger screen makes MORE sense for when you are playing.  The control you need in that moment is more likely to be on screen, so a quick tweak won't interrupt your playing.

I would make the same suggestion. Holding the tablet in one hand while adjusting with the other is one thing. Reaching down (quickly?) with one hand to a tablet on a mic-stand mount or resting on an amp is much less accurate and a larger screen should be helpful.

Really good points.  I had assumed the tablet would sit on top of our cable box, next to the XR18.  The box has been the location of our analog mixer for years and I sort of instinctively know how to adjust it on the fly.  The idea of a tablet on my mic stand is fascinating.  I've long since memorized our material so haven't used a tablet for lyrics in forever.  But having the mixer right there in front of me is a super cool idea.  Thanks!

My Galaxy Tab 8 (2019) shows 45% remaining after 4 hours.  My 2013 Nexus 7 (Asus)  gets 3 to 4 hours with 20% remaining.  I think you need to look at things running in the background  and perhaps compromised battery life.

Yeah for sure these are old device. I think I got my Gen 3 IPad in 2012 as a corporate give-away and the IPad mini I'm borrowing is at least that old, and probably far more used.

A Fire 10HD for $109 seems like a pretty good option assuming I can get a holder for my mic stand for it. 

I really do appreciate everybody's input here.  I was so reluctant to leave the analog mixer world but with y'alls guidance this isn't gonna be that bad!  Thanks!

Jay Marr

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2020, 03:16:46 PM »

I was so reluctant to leave the analog mixer world but with y'alls guidance this isn't gonna be that bad!  Thanks!

I was the same way when moving from my Analog board (which I was super comfortable grabbing a fader and fixing any issue within seconds) to now only having an iPad to mix on.  I play guitar, sing and mix the band...so I only have seconds to make tweaks on the fly.
Being on an iPad now for (has to be at least 4 years), I could absolutely never go back to an analog board.
It's an adjustment period, but I promise you will love it once you're comfortable.

If you put your iPad on a mic stand (which I've done in the past), put it behind you.  You don't want any accidental crowd bumps, etc.
People are curious and stupid.

Nathan Morefield

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2020, 03:59:40 PM »

People are curious and stupid.

Our next album may have just gotten named. :)

Ed Hall

• Classic LAB
  • Lansdale, PA
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2020, 06:00:04 PM »

A Fire 10HD for $109 seems like a pretty good option assuming I can get a holder for my mic stand for it. 

I really do appreciate everybody's input here.  I was so reluctant to leave the analog mixer world but with y'alls guidance this isn't gonna be that bad!  Thanks!

I have a Fire HD 8 that I use for my X32Rack and XR18. I set up Mixing Station with a custom layout so they both look and operate basically the same. Mixing Station is worth every penny. I followed Lou's video to set up the custom layout. The video is on an iPad but works the same on the Fire Tablet. He did a real nice job with it. I never knew Mixing Station was so customizable.

And ALWAYS have a wired backup!

I also use a Galaxy View tablet. I love all the screen real estate.

I made a couple video showing my layouts and how I made them. If anybody wants to see them.

Ipad layout
https://youtu.be/bKHxsCcIkzw

Galaxy view with real faders
https://youtu.be/tppJot0iz98

LOU
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 06:03:08 PM by Ed Hall »
I can't change reality just because you don't like it!

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2020, 09:50:54 AM »

Regarding battery life - I regularly mix FOH from an iPad (2014-ish) and after 1-1.5 hours I've got 90% battery life left. That's using the X32 or XR18 apps from Behringer, connected via an Apple Airport Express. I removed nearly all non-sound-related applications from my iPad, turned-off every service except for "Find my iPad" and don't have things running in the background. I keep the display fairly dim, which also seems to help battery life.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2020, 04:04:27 PM »

From what I've read, either platform works well.  I have a Win 10/64 laptop backup and the XR 12/18 Windows application also runs good.  Using the iPad Air ~11.5" screen for basic PA stuff.  Haven't mixed a band with it yet.  The XAir application runs great on the iPad.  Using a TP-Link Archer C5400 WiFi/Router for the connection.

The setup works well and I regularly use it with 2x GLXD hand-held's at neighborhood association meetings and such.

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2020, 11:26:57 AM »

I was so reluctant to leave the analog mixer world but with y'alls guidance this isn't gonna be that bad!  Thanks!
Don't discount the first couple of gigs being a little more testing than you're used to, depending on the amount of familiarisation you've done beforehand.

But, a few gigs in, and you'll hopefully be laughing at the prospect of using your old analog mixer, with all of its many limitations.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2020, 11:39:49 AM »

Just a quick FWIW on battery life, I tend to take a couple of 20,000mAh USB batteries to FOH with me. I run a 3rd gen iPad and a 2nd gen iPad Mini simultaneously.

One of those batteries will keep both iPads topped up (simultaneously) for 6-8 hours.

Since USB batteries are orders of magnitude cheaper than tables, mixers, etc, IMO they're worth just having.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2020, 11:39:49 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 25 queries.