ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Help me figure out Dropbox  (Read 373 times)

Frank Koenig

Re: Help me figure out Dropbox
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2020, 06:01:36 pm »

I use Dropbox a lot.  If both of you have accounts, all you need to do upload the files to the Public folder on your account, and share a link to that file with your friend.

You donít need to have a shared folder.

He should do the same thing to send files to you.

This is consistent with my limited experience. I've used Dropbox almost exclusively for pictures. So far as I can tell, the only thing that distinguishes a public directory (folder) from a private one is whether you publish a link to it.

Dropbox is pretty much devoid of any conventional documentation so far as I can tell. I guess they subscribe to the new paradigm where instead of writing a manual that explains how to use your product you just put up a forum where your customers can compare notes on their discoveries. It's so great for the bottom line not to have to hire all those tech writers  >:(

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2020, 06:19:26 pm »

if there's not a lot of back and forth, you don't need to share the files - just send him a link of the finished product for him to download. It's how I've shared files on Dropbox with Vendors, etc. since 2015.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2020, 06:21:27 pm »

PSA - Justice you may also want to think about BackBlaze, which is a backup solution for your computer and all removable drives - pay one price for as many removables as you need. Got the tip from a Photoshop packaging friend, and it did help me when I completely screwed up my MacBook Pro OS.

You can set it to back up at night or whenever you're not online. Pretty cheap monthly fee.

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2020, 01:05:38 am »

Really? So if the files are sitting in my account, then Drop Box makes you pay twice for the same amount of storage?

What a racket!

Is there a better file transfer solution?

he doesnt need to use his dropbox at all.  just download from your link.  If he adds to his DB then it counts against both of your storage.
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
peter@bestaudio.com

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Somewhere between the Atlantic and Pacific
    • My homepage
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2020, 01:11:52 am »

he doesnt need to use his dropbox at all.  just download from your link.  If he adds to his DB then it counts against both of your storage.
I'm trying to find a way for him to UPLOAD to me. So I can download the files and work on them. So far, he hasn't been able to upload to the folder that I create in my account and to which I give him read/write access. He either can't see the folder, or it tells him he can't upload to it. Or it stops half way through saying it's out of storage space.

I've only used like 5% of my 2TB of storage space. 
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com
Head Audio/A1 Blue Man Group North American Tour

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2020, 12:25:47 pm »

I'm trying to find a way for him to UPLOAD to me. So I can download the files and work on them. So far, he hasn't been able to upload to the folder that I create in my account and to which I give him read/write access. He either can't see the folder, or it tells him he can't upload to it. Or it stops half way through saying it's out of storage space.

I've only used like 5% of my 2TB of storage space. 
The "Request Files" feature in Dropbox might suit your use case. The downside is that he'll need to upload through the web interface rather than using a desktop client.

You set up a file request. He uploads files using that link. You send them back via Dropbox Transfer or just a public link.

Justice, as Corey said, send him a dropbox REQUEST. He doesn't even need to have a dropbox account to upload to your request.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 12:28:04 pm by Andrew Broughton »
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

ProSoundWeb Community

¬ę Reply #15 on: February 14, 2020, 12:25:47 pm ¬Ľ

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 22 queries.