ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Need a little help with Bose 802 ii speakers  (Read 5796 times)

Steve Myers

Need a little help with Bose 802 ii speakers
« on: February 13, 2020, 10:55:53 AM »

So my dad gave me his Bose PA since he didn't want to bother selling it. It's the package with the 2 802 ii's and a 502bp, probably roughly twenty years old. Anyway I tested the speakers and they work fine. I do have the system controller. But one of the 802's had something rattling around in it (dad said this had been the case for years) and when I removed a couple drivers to get in there I found this(see attached pic). I assume it's some kind of a capacitor although I don't know why the speaker would still work if it had fallen off the leads.

Also there is some foam backing behind all the drivers which kind of just fell apart as I was sifting around. I'm wondering if I can replace it with another material or just leave it out. And of course the 1/4 jacks have loose tension so I need to get in there and fix that too. No, I really don't want to bother putting speakon jacks there because I'd have to buy new cables. Thanks!

Edit: sorry I went ahead and changed my name per rules
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 10:59:38 AM by Steve Myers »

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Re: Need a little help with Bose 802 ii speakers
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 11:30:57 AM »

I assume it's some kind of a capacitor although I don't know why the speaker would still work if it had fallen off the leads.

Also there is some foam backing behind all the drivers which kind of just fell apart as I was sifting around. I'm wondering if I can replace it with another material or just leave it out.
Steve,

Those 20 year old speakers keep coming up, and capacitors keep falling off..
The capacitor is part of:
"A built-in directivity control circuit maintains the vertical dispersion pattern through the high-frequency range. It also protects the drivers from high-frequency overload."

https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,172410.msg1588305.html#msg1588305

The speaker will sound better with fresh foam and the capacitor replaced, though will work without fixing either problem.
You can purchase replacement damping foam and capacitors from suppliers like Parts Express.

Art

« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 11:33:54 AM by Art Welter »

Steve Myers

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 11:44:18 AM »

Steve,

Those 20 year old speakers keep coming up, and capacitors keep falling off..
The capacitor is part of:
"A built-in directivity control circuit maintains the vertical dispersion pattern through the high-frequency range. It also protects the drivers from high-frequency overload."

https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,172410.msg1588305.html#msg1588305

The speaker will sound better with fresh foam and the capacitor replaced, though will work without fixing either problem.
You can purchase replacement damping foam and capacitors from suppliers like Parts Express.

Art

Yep I discovered where it came off on the inside of the box so there's that. There's another one on the circuit that seems to still be on there pretty good. I guess I'll be off to parts express. Thanks!

Steve Myers

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 12:29:53 PM »

And yeah, I get it...This isn't really the speaker or brand of choice for pro audio. If I was buying a system I'd probably get the active JBL srx stuff or something like that. Since I was given the speakers and the controller I figured I'd get it working. I have to get new poweramps too so I already got a Behringer NX3000 for the 802's. Spec sheet says they max out at 480w so I figured that would be more than enough for those. May end up getting another one for the 502 and bridge it. This is for a live band where we usually don't mic all the instruments due to the small room sizes, but sometimes we do. Since I have an XR18 I figured between the controller and putting a smile on the main EQ they would sound pretty decent.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 12:47:26 PM »

And yeah, I get it...This isn't really the speaker or brand of choice for pro audio. If I was buying a system I'd probably get the active JBL srx stuff or something like that. Since I was given the speakers and the controller I figured I'd get it working. I have to get new poweramps too so I already got a Behringer NX3000 for the 802's. Spec sheet says they max out at 480w so I figured that would be more than enough for those. May end up getting another one for the 502 and bridge it. This is for a live band where we usually don't mic all the instruments due to the small room sizes, but sometimes we do. Since I have an XR18 I figured between the controller and putting a smile on the main EQ they would sound pretty decent.

Can't beat nearly free, other than that "sub".  I'd sell or burn it. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 12:50:37 PM »

You won't see much love here for anything Bose, however, I use them for certain applications.

When I had my wedding/GB band I used two 802II's plus one 502BP for parties and small weddings. 
I power them with one Crown K2 (520 watts @8ohms per channel) amplifier with the two 802's on one channel and the sub on the other.

I still have four 802's & two 502's in my inventory.

Most recently I used a rig (as per above) for a band at an Xmass party.  The rig was excellent for the application.

If you use the 802C controller you should not have to do much at all with your mixer's EQ. 

I like the 802's on vocals and keyboard....drums/bass ehhhhhh.......

A word of advise: each cabinet is fused (look near the cable connections for tab with a spade screwdriver slot).  I think that they use a Buss 5A fast blow fuse...you'd be best to check.
There should be a spare fuse "holder" in each 802 cover plus a holder next to the 502 input section.

Steve Myers

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 01:28:07 PM »

You won't see much love here for anything Bose, however, I use them for certain applications.

When I had my wedding/GB band I used two 802II's plus one 502BP for parties and small weddings. 
I power them with one Crown K2 (520 watts @8ohms per channel) amplifier with the two 802's on one channel and the sub on the other.

I still have four 802's & two 502's in my inventory.

Most recently I used a rig (as per above) for a band at an Xmass party.  The rig was excellent for the application.

If you use the 802C controller you should not have to do much at all with your mixer's EQ. 

I like the 802's on vocals and keyboard....drums/bass ehhhhhh.......

A word of advise: each cabinet is fused (look near the cable connections for tab with a spade screwdriver slot).  I think that they use a Buss 5A fast blow fuse...you'd be best to check.
There should be a spare fuse "holder" in each 802 cover plus a holder next to the 502 input section.

I know about the fuses as they blew often when my dad used them...lol. They are actually 4 amo and I ordered some extras. The 502 uses a 7 amp but I don't think they ever blew that one.

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 03:58:53 PM »

And of course the 1/4 jacks have loose tension so I need to get in there and fix that too.

I used to have 802II and 502BP system. I liked them very much. I preferred them to the JBL and Yamaha portable speakers of the 90s.
If I recall the 802II also has XLR input jacks. I believe there is a diagram on the input panel that shows how to wire the XLR speaker cable.You have to use speaker cable and not mic cable. I seem to remember that the 502BP had an XLR input as well but the wiring was different than the 802II .
Bose speakers were used on some Michael Jackson and Bruce Springsteen tours a few decades ago.

Steve Myers

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 04:33:24 PM »

I used to have 802II and 502BP system. I liked them very much. I preferred them to the JBL and Yamaha portable speakers of the 90s.
If I recall the 802II also has XLR input jacks. I believe there is a diagram on the input panel that shows how to wire the XLR speaker cable.You have to use speaker cable and not mic cable. I seem to remember that the 502BP had an XLR input as well but the wiring was different than the 802II .
Bose speakers were used on some Michael Jackson and Bruce Springsteen tours a few decades ago.

Yeah they do have XLR's but I'll probably not use them. If it gets bad enough I'll just replace the 1/4 jacks with different ones although that would be a pain since you have to do it from the inside. At least one of the jacks on each speaker is still tight enough to not go in and out. I suspect that my dad's band used the same jacks every time.

Oh and I was going to mention that the only reason his band went to the Bose was so they wouldn't have to carry heavy peavey stuff anymore, but that was before light class D amps were a regular thing.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 07:57:59 PM »

Todd Rundgren toured a Peavey rig once upon a time.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 07:57:59 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 23 queries.